Search

What Have I Missed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default What Have I Missed?

Hey everyone,

Finally logged back in after oh, 2 years. Ive been out of the RC world for a about that long too. My Pro4 is probably considered antique by now as it was old when I raced it 2-3 years ago!

I see AE is on the TC6 now, the TC5 was new when I lost touch. Lipo and brushless have taken complete hold, when i started racing i had to swap out my brushed motors, i see my old track doesnt even have a brushed class anymore.

Im basically joking with this post since i know a lot is new in 2 years.

Tom
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Well, as you said brushed is dead, and it is now brushless. Now the speedo can dynamically add timing to the motor, to make it run a lot faster! Which is why there now is both boosted and "blinky" classes. Blinky is without timing (to reduce the speed of the classes), controlled by a little blinking light on the speedo.

NiCD and NiMH are also dead - LiPo it is!

Most have switched from ball diff to gear diff. They can be made to fit almost every track and condition, but require a lot less maintenance and you gain on-power steering at the same time.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Twism86

Hey everyone,

Finally logged back in after oh, 2 years. Ive been out of the RC world for a about that long too. My Pro4 is probably considered antique by now as it was old when I raced it 2-3 years ago!

I see AE is on the TC6 now, the TC5 was new when I lost touch. Lipo and brushless have taken complete hold, when i started racing i had to swap out my brushed motors, i see my old track doesnt even have a brushed class anymore.

Tom
The biggest class on most east coast tracks is 17.5 blinky, 17.5 turn brushless roar approved motor, and a speed control that doesn't allow dynamic timing, (many have a mode you can set them too for this). Since you are in NJ, I'm guessing Jackson would be your home track? You can give your pro4 a shot as long as you can fit a lipo in it, (2S 7.4v roar approved hardcase cells as well). but if you want to get back into the swing of things easier, its best to buy a current chassis so you can get a setup that works at the track right off the bat.

As much as things change as they are still the same, still batteries of the month and motors of the month, and chassis of the week, lol.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the explanation on the "blinky" class! I recently saw that and had no clue was it was. Lipo was still the thing to have when I got out of if. I have a few that are probably dead by now, or at least not good for racing again.

Mike, I used to go to Jackson and did use lipos in my Pro4. I have a 2.4ghs JR too so I guess im still in it a little with my current setup. I however, havent seen Jackson since the "blue" track re-vamp. I actually moved to NY (Albany) 2 years ago and that when I stopped with RC. I might be coming back to NY though and if I do would probably go back to the track. It looks nice in pictures.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeXray
As much as things change as they are still the same, still batteries of the month and motors of the month, and chassis of the week, lol.
Really? I don't see that issue in Europe. Well, we have experienced the motor thing here in Denmark, but only in our 17.5T blinky class.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Heres a question, is the Tamiya TRF416 still their top of the line TC? If i get back into racing I would love a nice belt car. The TRF's have always been a dream car but TC5/6 might do as well.

What other companies are still in the belt TC business. Team Associated, X-Ray, Tamiya....

What about Losi, Hot Bodies, etc?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Heres a question, is the Tamiya TRF416 still their top of the line TC? If i get back into racing I would love a nice belt car. The TRF's have always been a dream car but TC5/6 might do as well.

What other companies are still in the belt TC business. Team Associated, X-Ray, Tamiya....

Tamiya has their 417X now
Xray has the T3 '12
Hot Bodies has the TCX, with the TCXX coming (I think)
Team Associated with the T6.1
TOP with the Photon EX just recently released

One of the most interesting cars right now, is probably the Awesomatix A700, but that isn't belt drive.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nilks
Really? I don't see that issue in Europe. Well, we have experienced the motor thing here in Denmark, but only in our 17.5T blinky class.
Yeah, it's only really an issue with blinky. Fortunately we still race boosted in my area and Mod has been picking up popularity too. I hate blinky.

Nearly all current competitive Touring Cars are belt drive, with the exception of the Awesomatix A700. Almost all the major brands have a capable chassis in the right hands. My personal preference is XRAY for the quality, durability, and wide setup window.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Ohh 417, exciting stuff. I wonder how many parts the TCX or TCXX would still share with the pro4, if any. I know the cyclone did. X-Rays have always been super adjustable, so no surprise that they are still tops.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

well, cars are flying now, there's no such thing as "batteries" anymore, and we control our cars with our 99.8ghz brains(the other .2ghz stands watch over our pit tables). other than that, nothing special.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive seen the Pro4 make a heck of a USVTA car......and like most older chassis they do really well in this class...or better...

good luck and glad you came back to Onroad

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails What Have I Missed?-img_2105.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the explanation on the "blinky" class! I recently saw that and had no clue was it was. Lipo was still the thing to have when I got out of if. I have a few that are probably dead by now, or at least not good for racing again.

Mike, I used to go to Jackson and did use lipos in my Pro4. I have a 2.4ghs JR too so I guess im still in it a little with my current setup. I however, havent seen Jackson since the "blue" track re-vamp. I actually moved to NY (Albany) 2 years ago and that when I stopped with RC. I might be coming back to NY though and if I do would probably go back to the track. It looks nice in pictures.
There is a brand new indoor asphalt road course and clay short course going in to Troy, NY that should be opening in the next couple months.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pretty funny stuff Tom! Been thinking of getting back into it myself. Probably just 1/12 scale stuff. Never really liked rubber tire racing much, but might give that a shot again too

btw how's the fishing been up on the Salmon?

Kyle
Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Hey everyone,

Tom
I think that there is nothing wrong your PRO4 for clubracing unless you'll attend to big national races.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info on Troy, I had a typo in my post though. I meant I would be coming back to NJ soon possibly.

That vintage class looks cool, or at least a good start to get into racing again. Ill see if Jackson has that.

Kyle, forgot you were an RC guy too. I havent been to the SR since the depths of winter unfortunately. I dont know anything but the rubber, ive never races or ran on a carpet track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.