R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Rolling in to Corners VS Braking in to cornerss (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/613261-rolling-corners-vs-braking-cornerss.html)

NR 03-27-2012 03:09 PM

Rolling in to Corners VS Braking in to cornerss

Guys,

I would love to hear a few opinions in regards to different driving styles,

I seem to be faster when I roll in to a corner as opposed to brake and accelerate again, however the faster guys seem to brake and accelerate vs rolling around.

So I am stuck as to what would be fastest, I believe Hagberg said its point to point is the fastest, so he brakes a lot and believes the new style of driving with the brushless power should be this way.

Peoples thoughts?

Nathan

racer x 1 03-27-2012 03:21 PM

smooth=consistant and consistantcy leads to fast laps. lol I believe rolling into corners is faster but there will always be a time where braking into the corner helps and can be faster. Personally I roll into most corners unless its a hairpin in which case i tend to brake before the corner. It really comes down to preference some like to brake into corners others dont.

mb racer 03-27-2012 03:26 PM

I think some drivers rely on breaking to enter a corner late then hit the throttle to power thru and exit , I've seen others set up corners rolling , to have the best line and throttle control exiting .. I think driving with breaks at every corner or turn would give you longer laps time's and asking them self's why are my lap time's so high ... Alot depends on track conditions and layout .. most Importantly driving style .. I find myself throttle driving and breaking only when needed ... :D

Skiddins 03-27-2012 04:05 PM

I think it also very much depends on what class you're running and the size of the track.

Stregone 03-27-2012 05:13 PM

It depends on how fast you are going. If you are going too fast then you need to brake.

Got anything harder?:cool::D

Shawn68z 03-27-2012 05:26 PM

In theory you always want to be Full throttle, or on the brakes as hard as you can without locking up the wheels, or losing control of your car.

Drivers that are good at braking into a corner can remain full throttle longer, and maintain a higher average speed around the track, which will produce lower lap times.

Shawn.

racer x 1 03-27-2012 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn68z (Post 10524750)
In theory you always want to be Full throttle, or on the brakes as hard as you can without locking up the wheels, or losing control of your car.

Drivers that are good at braking into a corner can remain full throttle longer, and maintain a higher average speed around the track, which will produce lower lap times.

Shawn.

that sound very theoretical........ typically the fastest drivers are not the most aggressive.

rccartips 03-27-2012 05:38 PM

For me if the front tires are doing the "braking" (i.e. turned too much to slow the car for the corner), maybe better to use the brakes to slow down and steer less into the corner.

I've read pro's say it is point and shoot, but watching them up close I think it is still traditional style (little steering input, minimal throttle movement). Throttle seems mostly at 50 - 70%, occasionally braking and full throttle only on long straights.

Fast forward to 4:35sec to see their hands. Almost zero steering movement.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

MC112b 03-27-2012 05:44 PM

If your stabbing the breaks like crazy your likely to upset the chassis and not ever really comfotable through the corner. You stand a better chance of controlling the chassis by staying smooth and on power a smidge. Fast is a total package deal. Stay humble and practice your ass off.

defcone 03-27-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by rccartips (Post 10524809)
For me if the front tires are doing the "braking" (i.e. turned too much to slow the car for the corner), maybe better to use the brakes to slow down and steer less into the corner.

I've read pro's say it is point and shoot, but watching them up close I think it is still traditional style (little steering input, minimal throttle movement). Throttle seems mostly at 50 - 70%, occasionally braking and full throttle only on long straights.

Fast forward to 4:35sec to see their hands. Almost zero steering movement.

I think on that track it's because if they used more steering, they'd traction roll:lol:

Rufus2010 03-27-2012 07:28 PM

How do you drive your real automobile when you are out driving around? Ever use the brakes before a corner? (I know you are not racing around town, well, at least not always.)

Lessen 03-27-2012 07:36 PM

Fast is minimizing the amount of time you are not accelerating. There are many many ways to do this. Let's keep in mind that us electro folks aren't locking up breaks, which is probably why it is so common to break/turn. Quite frankly, its easier than the nitro runners with physically brakes. They actually have to be careful of using too much brake because they will lose the nose. Electric cars simply over-decelerate and reduce apex speed. The point is that ESC braking makes blowing a line less realistic. The consequences of losing the nose vs. simply reducing your apex speed are clearly very different. I wonder if ESC braking assists with consistency and defensive driving due to its inherent properties???

Losiho 03-27-2012 10:51 PM

In off road racing - I don't use brakes at all, on any corner. Never have, still don't see the need to.

On road - (21.5 boosted) I only dab the brakes in 2 tight corners on my local track. On the rest I just ease up on the throttle a touch and roll through the corner.

samnelso 03-27-2012 11:01 PM

I drive mostly TC on carpet and I personally love braking. I drive a little harder than some into corners and have to brake to compensate. However, some have taken a look at my driving and say I over brake, which is probably true. There's a fine line with braking, especially with drag brake and the car natural tendency to scrub speed in the corners.

Ideally, the car whould trace the largest x and y axis acceleration throughout the track, indicated on a GG diagram (if we did that in RC). However, in practice this is quite difficult.

6376vette 03-28-2012 04:41 AM

For what its worth I was wondering the same thing a few weeks back so I did some research from racing schools. What I found was this. You should always either be on the gas or on the brakes. Any coasting is slowing your lap times.

Now that being said I think our problem with rc is how much brake is needed and where do you apply the brake and pick up the gas. Personally I get faster lap times by coasting because I tend to over break the corner thus slowing my lap times. If you have great control over your car then braking the turn is the fastest. For most of us coasting will be faster and more consistent.