Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Discharge rates of electric on road >

Discharge rates of electric on road

Discharge rates of electric on road

Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Discharge rates of electric on road

Never ran on road before, but understand that discharge capabilities of batteries (c rating) is much more important than off road racing. What kind of discharge rates, burst and static, would your typical on road tc or f1 pull during race conditions? Looking to spec out some batteries, might take up on road racing in the future. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Captain
Never ran on road before, but understand that discharge capabilities of batteries (c rating) is much more important than off road racing. What kind of discharge rates, burst and static, would your typical on road tc or f1 pull during race conditions? Looking to spec out some batteries, might take up on road racing in the future. Thanks!
Most of it is hype and its not as important as many people think, but 40C is a good ball park for most types of racing.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

200% correct !!! Any 5000mah 40C packs will handle most mod setups with ease !!! The rest is just hype to resell more of the same stuff !!! I personally prefer Tp packs because I had originally picked a tp balancer, but most other manufacturers do well with their 40C packs.....
Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Tech Master

40C will be fine. In 10.5 boosted I pull 80A max (16C at 5000mah).

I've compared 40C, 50C and 60C with a data logger and there's no measurable performance difference.

Beware all the stories of "I tested this brand new 60C pack against my 2-year-old 40C pack and the 60C was better". Lipos go off over time, so any new pack will be better than an old one, making most of these tests useless.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Awesome, thanks guys! Anyone else have any data logging stats with average and max current bursts? I didnt think onroad cars would pull more than say a 1/8 electric buggy, but wasnt sure due to the high grip surfaces they run on.

Been looking at the F1 cars from Tamiya, and the Associated TCs. I'm kind of leaning towards the F1s due to their simplicity and more scale appearances. Really just getting a feel for whats out there right now, but knew I would get some good honest answers here.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Awesome, thanks guys! Anyone else have any data logging stats with average and max current bursts? I didnt think onroad cars would pull more than say a 1/8 electric buggy, but wasnt sure due to the high grip surfaces they run on.

Been looking at the F1 cars from Tamiya, and the Associated TCs. I'm kind of leaning towards the F1s due to their simplicity and more scale appearances. Really just getting a feel for whats out there right now, but knew I would get some good honest answers here.
We run 21.5 brushless in F1. You'll be lucky to have the ESC/motor pull enough current at launch to max out the current pull of even a 25C battery. That being said I run 3800 60C lipos because that is the flavor of shorty I could get my hands on.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr
40C will be fine. In 10.5 boosted I pull 80A max (16C at 5000mah).

I've compared 40C, 50C and 60C with a data logger and there's no measurable performance difference.

Beware all the stories of "I tested this brand new 60C pack against my 2-year-old 40C pack and the 60C was better". Lipos go off over time, so any new pack will be better than an old one, making most of these tests useless.
Funny thing about that
I have a 2yr old 40c 1s, that has better avg-v, and lower I.R. than most of the new packs I have tested, and is far better than a new 90c pack
Old 03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
We run 21.5 brushless in F1. You'll be lucky to have the ESC/motor pull enough current at launch to max out the current pull of even a 25C battery. That being said I run 3800 60C lipos because that is the flavor of shorty I could get my hands on.
Is that a spec class or something? I dont think I have ever seen a BLDC motor lower than 17.5T. Are they pretty quick with a 21.5? I know a 17.5 in a SC is real boring, but they weigh a lot more than an F1 RC model.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Funny thing about that
I have a 2yr old 40c 1s, that has better avg-v, and lower I.R. than most of the new packs I have tested, and is far better than a new 90c pack
What, you mean that a well known 90C pack didn't actually measure up to the hype!

I still run my 3yr old Thunder Power 40C's in 13.5 as well as my newer 65C's and there is no difference between them on the track.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is that a spec class or something? I dont think I have ever seen a BLDC motor lower than 17.5T. Are they pretty quick with a 21.5? I know a 17.5 in a SC is real boring, but they weigh a lot more than an F1 RC model.
F1 is typically limited to silver can Johnson/Mabuchi or 21.5 brushless with no timing advance for indoor carpet tracks. Out door or on longer tracks some places run 17.5 to 10.5. And the gearing for on-road is way different. Power to weight like you mentioned is also important. On-road cars are super light. Most of us run F1 for the scale looks and not the pure speed. If you want pure speed, try Mod 12th scale or Pro10 235mm.