Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another New Radio!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Another New Radio!

Just picked up my Futaba PL2 today. Looks very similar to the Airtronics MX3 that kh15 is getting. There are probably some definite advantages to the Airtronics, but I'm a Futaba fan, and this was pretty cheap for all the features it comes with. It has the throttle and steering EPAs I need as well as the servo reversing, ABS brakes (my ESC does that), etc. I really like the foam rubber wheel... looked cheap, but it's much grippier than the solid rubber one on my older Magnum Jr. for my other car. It also has the quick-change Tx crystal holder (same as the older Jr.) instead of just a flap covering the crystal like the new Magnum Sport. Makes it REAL easy to change crystals if I wanna swap cars without swapping radios.

So, question. Both this Tx and my older Magnum Jr have DC connectors to charge the batts. The older Tx has a removeable battery tray, where I can cut the wires and put a plug in for a shrink-wrap NiCd pack or just use the tray with NiCd cells. The other one's tray is completely built-in, can't remove it. In both cases the charger's starting to look good. Neither Tx came with any AC plug, though, so what AC adaptor would work well? I can grab a universal voltage box from Radio Shack, or hunt for one of the right voltage (8 cells) with the maximum amperage. What amperage is enough? What's too much? I really don't want to spend a fortune on a universal computerized charger, just something so I can plug the Tx into the wall overnight.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

You can buy an 8 AA cell charger from Wal-mart for less than $30CDN (likely 20-25 USD)
and then buy NiMH cells...

Just a suggestion... NiMHs will give you longer life per charge, and you aren't going to damage anything
Old 01-27-2005, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Futuba has its own charger you can buy for 19.99, works only with nicd cells.

If anything just get a cheap charger and goto walmart and buy the rechargable NIMH batteries , some are up to 2500mah for very cheap.

Its the best deal for TX batteries. I get about 2 hour run times on it.

They have some that come with its own wall charger and some seperate.

But yeah walmart has a ton. Go there and check it out.