Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
OMG..I just woke up and the saga continues... how many of you keyboard cowboys going to run some USVTA this weekend?....

why dont we take a break and just freaking race....and report back here Monday and give a brief report on your track and racing?...even post your results...pic would be good too...

Cya Sunday at Thunder RC Raceway in Nashville,TN....
Word! Put your 25.5 panties on and go race. I would but in-laws in town!
Old 12-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
no racing this weekend Tex as work took care of those plans, but here are pics of the vehicles we run prior to them getting some road rash and the swap over to USVTA electronics for this year.

I remember those days with my lil girl...man they grow up so fast...big 18 this week...just seems like yesterday I was painting up her Pink and Black 65 Ford Mustang...

but anyway...cool
Old 12-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33
Word! Put your 25.5 panties on and go race. I would but in-laws in town!
no panties here...we race USVTA with grown man boxers on...lol...
Old 12-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I remember those days with my lil girl...man they grow up so fast...big 18 this week...just seems like yesterday I was painting up her Pink and Black 65 Ford Mustang...

but anyway...cool
There are times I know my friends with older kids are surprised they made it that far with how some of them act during there teenage years. I figure my youngest will be the hell raiser, but she loves RC too. Never had any better help than her lol. And when she wants to get too involved, I have her check the tires to make sure they are still roll, 4 years old she will hand drive the vta's and 1/5 scale around the house.

Now if I could convince my middle child in the pic that dirt isn't that bad. Considering how little RC experience she has, she did quite well her first offroad race but hates getting dirty lol.

Big thing is body durability. So if anyone has tips on bodies for the next go around, feel free. had to up armor the one in the pic so much heck probably could make weight without any chassis weights.

no panties here...we race USVTA with grown man boxers on...lol...
maybe that could be done for a series, loser wears official USVTA branded panties
Old 12-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Preventitive or repair for bodies...Fabric tape and CA make a strong bond. My bud Steve puts the tape on the inside at the stress points and then applies CA on the tape...the tape stiffens and it comes out pretty strong. He uses mending tape for car seat repair I think. I will get the actual namebrand from him this weekend.

Last edited by Totally DIALED; 12-05-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info.

Have done the drywall tape thing, works well enough but wouldn't mind just a more durable body.

In general though I am thinking the parma bodies, back when the first time did VTA ran those and they took a beating, had a fun cop car with lights and siren going on. But wasnt' sure if something better was out there.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

some pics from the past...
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-thunder-jam-2009-064.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-my-pics-696.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-my-pics-921.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Legend

some pics from the past...
good stuff!
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
You have to plug your esc into your phone? That's so quaint. Toro and SpeedPassion both have bluetooth adapters, that allow me to set my ESC's up wirelessly. It's great for making adjustments during practice, you don't even have to get off the stand. [sarcasm]That's such a low end feature, I wish they'd make them more driver friendly.[/sarcasm]

I agree, a box stock SP V3 motor is not very affective for 17.5 blinky. The MMM motors are a better choice for blinky out of the box. However, those timing inserts are only $20, which only only brings the motor cost up to $50. That's still half the cost of most ROAR motors.

Trackstar ROAR motors don't need a timing insert to get "full" adjustment, so you can keep right at 1/3 the cost instead of 1/2.
There are other reasons I will support Tekin.
I had a problem and sent sp 2 emails, never got a reply, but when I sent Tekin one and recieved an answer in a couple hours. I am willing to pay a little more for customer support. The rsSpec is a compact size, allowing more options on placement. Tekin also supports the military by offering an excellent discount program, probably the best in the rc industry, if they continue to support our military, I will always buy Tekin. I have been in the rc hobby off and on since the 80s, and I have never had a Tekin fail when it wasn't my fault. I have 2 sp, one failed in less than a month, the reason I was sending emails.

Everyone has their own opinion, if you like the sp speedos, that's great.
At least to me, Tekin offers me more value for my money.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Thanks for the info.

Have done the drywall tape thing, works well enough but wouldn't mind just a more durable body.

In general though I am thinking the parma bodies, back when the first time did VTA ran those and they took a beating, had a fun cop car with lights and siren going on. But wasnt' sure if something better was out there.
I know what you mean...peeling a body after putting the time in is no joy. I tend to do one color rattle cans just so I dont cry when it comes off the track with battle scars that will never heal. I think a longer bumper would be nice... Prevent the flex when I turn in 3 feet to early!! Lol... Anyone know a place to get big chunks of foam?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Need help

This is firtst time in Puerto Rico that we running this category. Some help with the tires. What is the best tire to run in carpet.

They need the driver in the body??

Thanks
Old 12-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well they called off racing here in San Antonio so its up to Austin on Sunday and hope the weather cooperates.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-camaro-4-web.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-audi-web-2.jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'll be running Outlaw VTA this weekend, using your setup from 2013 Southern Nationals as the basis of my setup. Will report back. Painting a 68 Camaro right now too.
Where at, and will you be at Toy's for Tots at CAL next weekend?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Walito
This is firtst time in Puerto Rico that we running this category. Some help with the tires. What is the best tire to run in carpet.

They need the driver in the body??

Thanks
There is no best tire. You have to run the HPI vintage tire. The correct part number is on the USVTA website. But you need to use traction compoun(stx 3.0 works great). And it will take a few runs to break the tires in before they start to work really well. Driver is in the rules. So... I dont run one, but I will if I ever go to a big race.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I actually do like the driver -figure part, you have to get creative with how you mount them up. I have a set-up that is "quick release" and I can slap any shell on, I don't glue the driver to the body itself as some do. It's a cool part of the class to have the added realism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.