Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 12-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think the discussion really has been about getting ROAR to hop on the USVTA rules bandwagon. ROAR needs USVTA, not the other way around. The rules used at the large events speak for themselves.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
+1 indy

would be nice to see the roar vta class step up to 1550 g and 5000 max on battery this would be better then the USVTA changing its rules to accommodate the few . and would help level the playing field
I MEAN AFTER ALL USVTA STARTED THIS.. THEY roar vta SOULD HAVE TO GET ON THE TRAIN OR SIT IN THE STATION >>>>> JUST SAYIN....
I don't have a problem with any of the rules except for the weight.

I just added 70g to a fiberglass Spec-R S1 with steel turnbuckles and a heavy 68 Camaro body full of shoe goo.

If that cheap ass car is at 1480g before weight, what are the carbon cars coming in at?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I have 200g on my D06 with an aluminum chassis and shoe good pf j71. But thats part of the fun. Figuring out where the best place to put the weight is. As my car sits now, with body on, its about 20g heavier in the front, but even left to right.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
We tried VTA at our track. It lasted about 4 races. When you can put a Tamiya silver Can J in a car and run it with VTA and finish in the top of the running order, it's just not appealing.
Forgive me if I'm mistaking - but if you put a Tamiya silver Can J in your car, it's no longer USVTA, right? So you immediately invalidate your argument.

Some of the bodies were cool, but to have all the rules to make it legal, and for it to be that slow is just not what we were looking for as a class.
You can run variations on the class, and it seems that most places do run variations for appearances. This would seem to be the smallest thing.

I did not race in this class personally, but I do wish it would have taken off. Even people that stopped by to watch did not really care for them due to the speed of the car.
Wait - you're criticizing a class that you didn't race in, and thus didn't have any personal buy-in.

Couple of things - it's not a spectator class, although the close racing is fun to watch. It's a DRIVER class. When going to the Long Beach Grand Prix weekend, yes, it's a BLAST to watch the ALMS cars fly by, but a lot of the fun is watching the "stars" tear up a bunch of Scion TCs (best one ever was George Lucas plowing into another car when he decided to not take a turn. . . priceless)

It would help get people to understand you can't just throw a 13.5T in a TC and expect to run with the crowd.

Seems some think it's a stepping stone class ( myself ) while others think it should be a full blown race class with all the big names.

Maybe a different tire and motor rules will help. Those tires are quite costly.
I'm sorry, but you need to try the class out and actually race it. You really do.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

This just reminds me that I need corner weight scales.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I have 200g on my D06 with an aluminum chassis and shoe good pf j71. But thats part of the fun. Figuring out where the best place to put the weight is. As my car sits now, with body on, its about 20g heavier in the front, but even left to right.
Nailed it ...,we spend a lot of time at our track getting our cars to distribute the weight evenly . Some of the guys have scales and tweak stations to get their cars even 50-50 from front to back and side to side. You just can't slam 100 g in and go...
Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scirocco14
I think it would be a HUGE coup for ROAR if they adopted the USVTA battery limit and minimum weight rule, and left the 25.5 motor rule open.

Let me explain my reasoning.

Right now, cars built to the ROAR VTA rules are not legal for USVTA. So almost no chance of crossover participation.

Cars built to USVTA specs are LEGAL for ROAR VTA but NOT COMPETITIVE. So there is very little interest from USVTA participants from running ROAR VTA, unless they want to build a 2nd car just for ROAR VTA, which is an expensive proposition for most racers.

Now, if ROAR adopted the USVTA battery limit and minimum weight specification, it becomes a WIN-WIN situation.

Now, all USVTA cars become legal AND competitive in ROAR VTA. This would create an instant buzz and increase in ROAR VTA events, because the pool of available participants is hugely increased.

ROAR VTA cars would now be either legal for USVTA (if the motor used is a NOVAK motor) or could be very easily converted to USVTA with simple motor swap. Now a single car could be run in either ROAR or USVTA events with no cost (NOVAK motor to start with) or a simple swap.

The side benefit of this is that it would motivate ROAR to create a spec 25.5 motor list (a la USGT) and perhaps ultimately lead to a unification of the rules.

WIN - WIN.

Mark

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK SIR BRAVO ........
Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Lets throw this out there.

Since robk is on the ROAR excomm, would it be considered a conflict of interest to have ROAR adopt the USVTA rule set, or is this the best time to try and make that happen? Would his possible influence on the rules be considered a positive or negative?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

If a rule set is a good idea for racing, really shouldn't matter where it comes from in my personal opinion.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
can anybody tell me the benefit to the USVTA going with any 25.5 motor?
Coming from what was VTA before and USVTA now other than the inner body requirement, some things I thought were a benefit the open motor were:

- Cost.

Had competitive 25.5 motors that with an ESC each were less than the cost of just the novak motor, like $75 total, making the class more accessible pricewise. Also, the novak motors effectively went up in price with only being able to now find boss editions. Operation $10 it seems in RC world.

- Stagnation in quality due to exclusiveness.

From what I can see in other areas and this could creep up here, which if my take on what people are reporting with the whole timing label issue seems to be occurring, if you are the only game in town, you really don't have to try hard especially if no one is forcing you to. Reminds me of EA's monopoly on the NFL license. Being the "official" USVTA motor should mean something other than I was first to the game so I get the exclusive.

Please excuse the follow up post, I have been trying to edit the post to add the info and keep getting a connection time out.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
Lets throw this out there.

Since robk is on the ROAR excomm, would it be considered a conflict of interest to have ROAR adopt the USVTA rule set, or is this the best time to try and make that happen? Would his possible influence on the rules be considered a positive or negative?
This is the best time. I can only think of positives with Rob as Technical Director.

Since USVTA has recently changed to ROAR-approved non-timing ESCs, maybe now ROAR can reciprocate and adopt the USVTA minimum weight and battery rule. That seems pretty fair.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by howardcano
This is the best time. I can only think of positives with Rob as Technical Director.

Since USVTA has recently changed to ROAR-approved non-timing ESCs, maybe now ROAR can reciprocate and adopt the USVTA minimum weight and battery rule. That seems pretty fair.
THIS is 100% correct we should be trying to change roar from within.
I think getting roar vta to adopt these 2 changes would help the divide
between the racers as well as the tracks and the series races across THE WORLD lol .

NOW how do we get this done ROB are you watching BATMAN can you help us
who do we drive crazy instead of bitching and moaning in hear

must be a way for ROAR to help us help them lol

Last edited by rcpaintinpete; 12-02-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

the problem with ROAR, is that they cannot restrict class rules to a specific manufacturer - like they tires, they are outlined to match the HPI tires, but not specifically named in the rules

that's the issue with restricting batteries to 5000mah - there could be something like that... easiest is weight making it match
Old 12-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up CHANGE ROAR VTA ........

but its not a cap on battery brand just MAH not a big deal IMO.
and the tire thing goes out the window everyone has a spec tire?
every race I have done has had a spec tire for TC or WGT .
from regionals to nationals to just club racing all spec tires .
Old 12-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
but its not a cap on battery brand just MAH not a big deal IMO.
and the tire thing goes out the window everyone has a spec tire?
every race I have done has had a spec tire for TC or WGT .
from regionals to nationals to just club racing all spec tires .
yes.. and that's how the few ROAR races I was at handled VTA - 'spec' tires

I was just saying about the battery cap, as an example

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.