Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 06-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yea what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL that's the first time w agree on something
Old 06-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As a former ROAR official, in my opinion the best thing ROAR could do is drop their VTA class and if they want to run a VTA class use the USVTA rules.

ROAR cannot make rules as restrictive as USVTA can because of the by-laws. They cannot make a rule that says you have to run this manufacturer's motor. But USVTA can, and it's the severe restrictions on motor, speed control, and battery that makes the class fun and affordable. The elimination of the battery/motor/speed control-of-the-week is what keeps a lot of people in the class.

If you're looking for the fastest motor or speed control you can run, you're racing VTA for the wrong reasons.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

^^^^^What he said!^^^^^
Old 06-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
As a former ROAR official, in my opinion the best thing ROAR could do is drop their VTA class and if they want to run a VTA class use the USVTA rules.

ROAR cannot make rules as restrictive as USVTA can because of the by-laws. They cannot make a rule that says you have to run this manufacturer's motor. But USVTA can, and it's the severe restrictions on motor, speed control, and battery that makes the class fun and affordable. The elimination of the battery/motor/speed control-of-the-week is what keeps a lot of people in the class.

If you're looking for the fastest motor or speed control you can run, you're racing VTA for the wrong reasons.
Justock= $50-55, shipped. Very affordable. Hope it stays that way. Fastest? Zero timing, period...

Everything about USVTA is fine the way it currently is. Keep affordable ESC's that offer no speed advantage over a Novak on the list!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

One motor should mean ONE motor then, not "whatever motor Novak puts out that breaks prior USVTA rules but we allow cuz its Novak and it says Ballistic even if it has vented end bells like we said we couldn't use"

You mean that motor?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyujmn
You mean that motor?
My three season old Ballistic with a billion laps on it is still just as fast as the newer Boss motor I tried this season. Vented this and ceramic that are overrated.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
My three season old Ballistic with a billion laps on it is still just as fast as the newer Boss motor I tried this season. Vented this and ceramic that are overrated.
+1

I run one I bought used and my other is one that I swapped out the original 17.5 stator for a 25.5. Both are great, no speed or heat issues.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

The validity of the argument being made is not one of "do the older motors perform as well as the newer ones?". They clearly do. I believe the point being made is it is not a one motor class, it is a one manufacturer class. That manufacturer discontinued and created a new motor with little to no warning, and the class was forced to adapt in order to keep going.

If it were a one motor class, then the BOSS or Ballistic would be the only motor allowed. As it sits there aretechnically 3 motors allowed, but all are/were made by Novak. I understand why the new motors were allowed. If you stated only discontinued motors are allowed, it puts new racers at a huge disadvantage having to track down used motors, while at the same time driving the price of those motors through the roof. If you only allow the new motors, then it puts a strain on existing racers to replace their equipment. Either scenario puts undue pressure on the class that could easily cause a collapse. But it is not a one motor class, so why does everyone still call it that?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Last time i checked roar is agoverning sanctioned organization. And usvta is just bunch of guys.the current rules for usvta were derived when we were using 6cell nimhbatteries and brushed motors maybe updating the rules would not be a bad thing. All the otherr classes under roar have adapted over the years just a thought.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Lord

I hate to say it but ROAR is just a bunch of guys also.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
The validity of the argument being made is not one of "do the older motors perform as well as the newer ones?". They clearly do. I believe the point being made is it is not a one motor class, it is a one manufacturer class. That manufacturer discontinued and created a new motor with little to no warning, and the class was forced to adapt in order to keep going.

If it were a one motor class, then the BOSS or Ballistic would be the only motor allowed. As it sits there aretechnically 3 motors allowed, but all are/were made by Novak. I understand why the new motors were allowed. If you stated only discontinued motors are allowed, it puts new racers at a huge disadvantage having to track down used motors, while at the same time driving the price of those motors through the roof. If you only allow the new motors, then it puts a strain on existing racers to replace their equipment. Either scenario puts undue pressure on the class that could easily cause a collapse. But it is not a one motor class, so why does everyone still call it that?
TBH I don't know why the Novak 25.5 club combo they had wasn't made the designated USVTA- only motor & esc. Talk about "parity", and lack of "perceived advantages" that others might have.... well there you have it with that set up. One simple esc profile. One motor, with very limited adjustability. An "even" playing field for all participants. Less speed, yet plenty of fun. No timing decal issues, no variances. But that is just my opinion. But you are correct, it's one brand not one motor. Which is fine, whatever, but call it for what it is.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

I hate to say it but ROAR is just a bunch of guys also.
So we can get insurance from usvta. Perhaps they can set the guidelines for all the other classes. Lol.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The biggest issue that people fail to grasp is there are no ROAR rules for how to make a 25.5 motor. Period!! So its not like all the other spec motor classes where there are baseline rules to follow that ROAR has published. Because there are no ROAR rules for 25.5 motors there is no way to even tell what is going on inside any 25.5 motor. Hence the reason that the class is still Novak only as they are all made the same way with the same specs...yes some motors are faster than others thats part of any variance but its still the same core motor. Asking for a change to the motor rules without there being any standard 25.5 motor rules is clearly putting the cart before the horse.

Sometimes we need to step out of our house to see whats going on around us.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fermanracer
So we can get insurance from usvta. Perhaps they can set the guidelines for all the other classes. Lol.
Dont tempt Rob with a good time....
Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Dont tempt Rob with a good time....
Lol. Good times. Dynomite,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.