Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Have you temped your tires? What is your process of things you do to the car in between rounds? So each time the car is put on the track you get about 3 minutes of good performance before it starts pushing? What if you pulled the car off the track, did nothing to it for maybe 10-15 minutes, and then ran it? Would it be good or bad?

It sounds to me like something is wrong moreso than a tuning issue. Unless it's tire temp or sauce related. It's an interesting situation...
Have 't tempted tires. What sort of temps am i lookin for? I don do much between rounds just clean it off recheck all my screws clean tires with brake cleaner every second run sauce about 20 minutes before my run and wipe off excess just before i place it on the track with a rag. I would say thay after 5 minutes it would run good again.

Do you think it might be my chassis flex setting is off? I'm running it on the soft setting

Or is the 3 degrees of toe in at the rear too much should i go down to 2.5 or 2?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Justin33
Just wondering about some setup help for my xray t3 2012 in vta. My issue is it runs great for the first 3 minutes then gets really tight almost like the rear is gripping too much and causing it to not rotate at all after 3 minutes my lap times go down from 8.1-8.3's to like 8.8-9.0's we run 6 minutes heats so 1/2 second per lap equals about 8-9 seconds or a whole lap on our track. Which kinda sucks because i'm just as fast as anyone else for the first 3 minutes then just fall off and barely hold on to 2 or 3 spot.

So my main question is where should i start to stop this? Our track is medium grip carpet. Should i start with roll centres or sway bars or shocks oil,springs, shock angle? My setup is pretty basic 3.0 front springs 2.6 rear with 35wt shock oil 1.2 rear bar 1.4 front bar. Lower arm roll centres are at 0 2000wt rear gear diff front solid axle medium chassis flex shock angles pretty much in the middle stock camber links and spacers.

Any idea where to start would be awesome thanks guys
Justin, here is a link to the T3 2012 usvta set up I have right now. Maybe it will give you some ideas. I just put this on and the car needs to be a little more on the nose at corner entry but its pretty fast.

I may drop it down to 2.6/2.4 springs.

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&setup=t3_2012
Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justin33
Have 't tempted tires. What sort of temps am i lookin for? I don do much between rounds just clean it off recheck all my screws clean tires with brake cleaner every second run sauce about 20 minutes before my run and wipe off excess just before i place it on the track with a rag. I would say thay after 5 minutes it would run good again.

Do you think it might be my chassis flex setting is off? I'm running it on the soft setting

Or is the 3 degrees of toe in at the rear too much should i go down to 2.5 or 2?
Don't know what temps to look for, but would be looking more for a differential between the fronts/rears. Is one end getting too hot or not hot enough? That's what I'd look for.

Could the fronts be picking up a ton of lint from the track and losing grip after a few minutes?

I would like to see you run the car in practice 'til it starts to push. After it does, park it. Don't change *anything* on the car, but feel free to top off the battery. Go run the car again and does it work well or does it still push? That will be helpful information.

Personally, I think there are other questions to answer before I would make tuning changes. Right now you/we don't understand what is really causing this.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for me personally, I look for the vehicle to be slightly loose in the rear end at the start of my warm up laps. when I complete these, the vehicle is usually right on point with how I like to to feel and seems to stay that way.

If its not illegal to do, maybe those tire warmer things you can buy can help.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If anybody is looking for some fast USVTA racing this Saturday. THUNDER JAM VI will be taking place at Thunder RC in Nashville. Trophies for VTA GT and jr VTA. Plus 40% payout. This is a great event to prepare for Snowbirds. ) 90 plus straight and 50 feet deep of high speed racing. We will have other classes as well incl 17.5 touring car and 12th scale. So if you looking for a fun event come out Sat doors open at 8am
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-imag0636.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-20130919_130725.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-20130921_152044.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-p1020100.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
If anybody is looking for some fast USVTA racing this Saturday. THUNDER JAM VI will be taking place at Thunder RC in Nashville. Trophies for VTA GT and jr VTA. Plus 40% payout. This is a great event to prepare for Snowbirds. ) 90 plus straight and 50 feet deep of high speed racing. We will have other classes as well incl 17.5 touring car and 12th scale. So if you looking for a fun event come out Sat doors open at 8am
Damn! I love/hate seeing carpet tracks cuz we don't have one anymore!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:20 AM
Tech Champion

well its a blessing that we have ours, that's why events like this and Southern Nationals are important...
Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

It's about to be on in SA.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

well its a blessing that we have ours, that's why events like this and Southern Nationals are important...
I was just looking at the pad where the Battlefield Road Course was on Google earth. It's sad to see it fading away. It's good that you guys realize what a blessing Thunder is and you guys make concerted efforts to promote and protect it. I want to thank again all the Nashville guys who came down and supported me in that effort. I still appreciate it to this day.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yeah always sad seeing a place you once raced at closed down. I've had 2 places close down for various reasons back in the mid 2000's.

Started at one place back in 2003 and 2.5 years later they closed up shop. I later found out some details as to why but I won't mention that here. The place was turned into an automotive shop last I heard. Lots of good memories! Ran stock rubber and stock foam between 2 different TC3's.

That was the end of my RC hobby for the next 6 months until I found another track. Dug out my RC gear, bought a couple new packs and went to the new place I found. Then I went to go club racing on a Tuesday afternoon, get there, grabbed my rc tool boxes and went to the door and tried opening it. Locked! Looked up and there was a note on the door and said they closed down due to higher renters fees. Looked inside and it was cleaned out for the most part.

I try to support the one and only on-road track in my area as best as I can. Sometimes life and other projects tend to get in the way unfortunately. Looking forward to racing tonight in VTA.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default VTA!!!!!!

Not new to RC but new to VTA. I picked up a pair of Corally RDX PHI 08'S? for cheap awhile back and after reading 241 pages of this thread decided to throw one together.

Haven't raced yet and am way off the pace but what a blast!!

Lucky for me the awesomeness that is the Timezone Mecca is right in my back yard. So plenty of setup help from a whole bunch of quality racers up there.

Club race Saturday, F1 series with VTA as a support class Sunday. I should learn a ton in a couple days!!

any speed secrets for the Corally's?

I would post a pic of my car but wouldn't you know it...........Its a WHITE CAMARO!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lucky for me the awesomeness that is the Timezone Mecca is right in my back yard. So plenty of setup help from a whole bunch of quality racers up there.
Mark is the Man.....Im going to have to come up that way some time to check yall tracks out in person. The website shows your facility nicely.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldguyzrule
Not new to RC but new to VTA. I picked up a pair of Corally RDX PHI 08'S? for cheap awhile back and after reading 241 pages of this thread decided to throw one together.

Haven't raced yet and am way off the pace but what a blast!!

Club race Saturday, F1 series with VTA as a support class Sunday. I should learn a ton in a couple days!!

any speed secrets for the Corally's?

I would post a pic of my car but wouldn't you know it...........Its a WHITE CAMARO!!!!!
If you haven't already done so...do a search for "Corally PHI" and i'll bet there's an old thread for it. Should be plenty of good info. You could also get in touch with the folks at Superior Hobbies in Casselberry,Florida. They're the US Distributor (or at least they were) for Corally and I'm sure somebody over there could give you some help. Good Luck and have fun !!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

man is anybody else ready to race!!!!!!....Im so excited about getting on the Birds layout(Thunder Jam VI this Sat at Thunder RC Nashville,TN) with my VTA and GT cars and turn some laps...
Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

man is anybody else ready to race!!!!!!....Im so excited about getting on the Birds layout(Thunder Jam VI this Sat at Thunder RC Nashville,TN) with my VTA and GT cars and turn some laps...
more laps than what you did last Sunday?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.