Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Let me just put this out there:
I do not buy the escs for testing. Many of the complaints here revolve around not wanting to spend money on various items, but to be honest I cannot afford to put out hundreds of dollars to test escs, especially if they do not pass our tests. Either a manufacturer/distributor submits the escs to us, or we have also used examples kindly lent to us by racers who owned the esc.

Apparently Darkside has been able to procure a Tekin, as he has indicated. The esc will be tested when I receive it.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
or we have also used examples kindly lent to us by racers who owned the esc.
Had I known, had one sitting here... would have had it in your hands already. It was window dressing, waiting around for outdoor 17.5 next spring.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
Apparently Darkside has been able to procure a Tekin, as he has indicated. The esc will be tested when I receive it.

Thanks
Thanks Rob, thats the response I was looking for ... thought I read couple months back that you were already testing one, my bad
Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
yep were playing with toy cars(except the few paid/sponsored racers), I really like my Justock and have run it for over a year now but would love to spend some leftovers from xmass on some new bling for my ride

Yes I plan on having a really FUN time racing in the B or C main @ the birds ... in order for U to win a lot of us have to lose

U will be kickin butt again @ minnreg on the 12th ??
I expect that you'll have a good run at the birds. You know I'm just poking ya, right?

Yes, I will be at Minnreg for both USVTA oval and ROAR VTA on-road for the state race. I just finished the 2nd car (for ROAR rules only)....an Xray 2012, with a Sting 7000MAH pack, and a custom built D3.5 from Trinity too. However, something about having to put together a car with all this top notch equipment totally feels like I violated the "spirit of the class" for which it was originally intended by USVTA. It's THE reason I don't like ROAR rules, it's just too open for these types of things. On the small carpet tracks those items may not show up as much but I promise you at Kissimmee, Valkaria, and other large tracks you WILL see the difference.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow..I missed a lot...lol

thanks Rob 1st of all....

Tekin like 3-4 others have sent me esc's to test and try and get approved, some are eliminated without a lot of testing, and others are time consuming.

I apologize for the delay but its the hoidays and Tekin had some updates and of course getting approval to submit as well.

Just to clear up any and all misunderstanding, this isn't a simple or easy process. If a company wants an esc on the list(and many do) they normally send it and "we" test it on the track as well as other methods to make sure its on the same page as the current list if esc.

Then it gets passed around sort of speak and tested at other tracks and vise-versa....

and to clear it up even farther, LRP submitted 3 esc's and all failed...and Im sponsored by them(at the time)...so there is no brand loyalty to this...either its good for the class or it isn't...that simple

like Ive asked be patient and lets see what we can get done...Tekin Viper Reedy and others want to be part of the USVTA, but we have to make sure there isn't going to be an esc war....

Thanks
Myron

Im on my cell so I hope this comes across very understanding lol...

Rob check by Wed or Thurs
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I volunteered my Tekin rsspec for Rob to test next time he's at the track for practice (we race at the same place) so that he can have one in his hands.

I would like for it to be added as I do like the Tekin stuff, but it needs to be fondled, folded, spindled, and mutilated by The Man to make sure it conforms. A little patience grasshoppers, he has a full time job too.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikel33
I volunteered my Tekin rsspec for Rob to test next time he's at the track for practice (we race at the same place) so that he can have one in his hands.

I would like for it to be added as I do like the Tekin stuff, but it needs to be fondled, folded, spindled, and mutilated by The Man to make sure it conforms. A little patience grasshoppers, he has a full time job too.
Mike what Software ver is it on? Have you tired to back load any of the older "vegas" software? Just wondering because if this ESC can be back loaded with software that is floating around out there then this whole debate might be moot.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Mike what Software ver is it on? Have you tired to back load any of the older "vegas" software? Just wondering because if this ESC can be back loaded with software that is floating around out there then this whole debate might be moot.
shhhh...that's one...
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

That is absolutely one of the questions Rob had when we talked before Christmans. I ran the spec GT class in vegas and from talking to Randy Pike during the event, I do not believe it to be possible, but... I have old versions on my netbook that we can re-install and check.

I'll spare you my recollections of how the speedo works and how I think they did 'spec' mode. I do think Tekin would like to be part of usvta so I am pretty confident they did it in a way that would allow use in usvta. (Crosses fingers). And as those of you that race with me know, I am pro-Tekin.

Obviously, this is all exactly why Rob wants to test it.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If ROAR would be as careful as the USVTA guys are when they test motors we would never have had the 'ol 17.5 controversy last year. I'm glad Rob and company are as thorough as they are.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That is absolutely one of the questions Rob had when we talked before Christmans. I ran the spec GT class in vegas and from talking to Randy Pike during the event, I do not believe it to be possible, but... I have old versions on my netbook that we can re-install and check.

I'll spare you my recollections of how the speedo works and how I think they did 'spec' mode. I do think Tekin would like to be part of usvta so I am pretty confident they did it in a way that would allow use in usvta. (Crosses fingers). And as those of you that race with me know, I am pro-Tekin.

Obviously, this is all exactly why Rob wants to test it.
Im only asking because in one of the tekin threads a guy was telling someone else to just back load the old Vegas sw to fix what ever issues he was having with this spec rs. I have no doubt that they want to be part of the USVTA but if older sw can be back loaded then well there might be a problem. If this is the case its just another facepalm moment.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Im only asking because in one of the tekin threads a guy was telling someone else to just back load the old Vegas sw to fix what ever issues he was having with this spec rs. I have no doubt that they want to be part of the USVTA but if older sw can be back loaded then well there might be a problem. If this is the case its just another facepalm moment.
I heard about that too. If true, I agree. Total fail.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

I would think that the Gen 1 software would not work on the Gen 2 gear at all. I don't know anything, but I would think that they would make it not work on purpose. If this thing is not to USVTA standards then I don't see why they bothered to develop it. I do suppose these manufacturers like Tekin and LAP at least are aware of exactly what is required of them to pass an esc.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I would think that the Gen 1 software would not work on the Gen 2 gear at all. I don't know anything, but I would think that they would make it not work on purpose. If this thing is not to USVTA standards then I don't see why they bothered to develop it. I do suppose these manufacturers like Tekin and LAP at least are aware of exactly what is required of them to pass an esc.
Well, there could certainly be other motivations beyond usvta. I don't know that Tekin did this specifically for usvta (although its part of it for sure), but maybe as an entry into spec racing in general. That's a lot of the market in the US.

Having said that, I am also thinking that the Gen1 does not work on the Gen2 (although Gen2 for sure works on Gen1). Honestly, I can't remember from earlier testing I did. It is my thought that the 'spec' stuff is hard coded into the speedo and cannot be changed. We'll see how it goes, but I would agree with you in principal.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Well, there could certainly be other motivations beyond usvta. I don't know that Tekin did this specifically for usvta (although its part of it for sure), but maybe as an entry into spec racing in general. That's a lot of the market in the US.

Having said that, I am also thinking that the Gen1 does not work on the Gen2 (although Gen2 for sure works on Gen1). Honestly, I can't remember from earlier testing I did. It is my thought that the 'spec' stuff is hard coded into the speedo and cannot be changed. We'll see how it goes, but I would agree with you in principal.
Tekin did do that spec class at iic and that was the debut of it's availability as I understand it. And spec speedo's are becoming more popular. It seems like more and more tracks are getting away from classes with boost. Unless they are running mod.

(LRP not LAP) Sometimes the kindle auto correct is worse than the iPhone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.