Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have to trim down my novak edge brakes. It is too powerful at 100%.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
kinda confused about all the brake talk

I never use brakes, drag or push, in VTA

Almost never even get all the way out of the throttle except on tight 180's

cars are so slow just turning scrubs enough speed and I run front DCJ's
I can only offer up my own personal experiences, but yes, it's usually possible to race around the track holding WOT the entire time. However, it just scrubs the tires, generates excess heat/stress in the driveline, and I'm usually much faster if I let off the throttle and/or hit the brake where applicable. And we usually race on pretty open tracks. It's not often that I use brakes on the larger layouts, but I've never raced a circuit where I didn't at least let off on a few corners each lap.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Forget Novak, get a JUSTOCK and a program card all for around $60
Ok, so what motor should i run with that? How about a servo suggestion for a TC4? Also what is a program card?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

+1 on JayL's comment about not letting out all the way except for 180° hairpins.
That made me faster.
I used to coast with no throttle on some turns but now I give it some throttle on all turns except for the really tight ones.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
kinda confused about all the brake talk

I never use brakes, drag or push, in VTA

Almost never even get all the way out of the throttle except on tight 180's

cars are so slow just turning scrubs enough speed and I run front DCJ's
never had to stop for a slower car in front of you? or a car that had an issue getting back into the racing line? I know I have

I always run brakes - no for drag brakes because you never know when you'll need to stop WITHOUT barreling thru another car
Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
I can only offer up my own personal experiences, but yes, it's usually possible to race around the track holding WOT the entire time. However, it just scrubs the tires, generates excess heat/stress in the driveline, and I'm usually much faster if I let off the throttle and/or hit the brake where applicable. And we usually race on pretty open tracks. It's not often that I use brakes on the larger layouts, but I've never raced a circuit where I didn't at least let off on a few corners each lap.
in the last 4 years of running this class, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I ran on a track where it was WOT all the time. every track around here (including a trip to the scale nationals in Wisconsin) has something that requires braking - and it may only be a tap of the brakes, but its more then just letting off the throttle

yes, these were from my personal experiences - but can't ever hurt knowing its there if you need them
Old 12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Originally Posted by k_bojar
never had to stop for a slower car in front of you? or a car that had an issue getting back into the racing line? I know I have

I always run brakes - no for drag brakes because you never know when you'll need to stop WITHOUT barreling thru another car
+1 on both posts... If you're relying on tire scrub to slow you down enough to take corners properly, you're not going as fast as you possibly could be. Can many circuits be lapped @ WOT? Sure, they could - but I never went any faster doing so.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DJayhawk
Ok, so what motor should i run with that? How about a servo suggestion for a TC4? Also what is a program card?

Thanks guys!
depends on the rules at your local track, if usvta then get a boss novak, its the only legal not discontinued motor. If roar vta then any brand 25.5 is fine, even the $40 Speed Passion is great

I run Associated DS1015 servo's, there bulletproof. If weight/space is a problem then Spektrum S6070

Program Card for setting up your Justock : http://racevta.com/product_info.php?...products_id=92

There is also a more advanced card that lets you hook up your esc with usb and update software: http://racevta.com/product_info.php?products_id=91
Old 12-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Tech Initiate

GTB 2 low profile + 25.5 Novak Boss with zero brake = a main win 1 weekend & TQ two weeks later for me.. now if only Mr.Tommy R would only show up n letting me see how the Champ does it I might learn something new.

☆frankie p☆
XRay 2013 VTA Firebird Trans Am
CRC1/12 Alter Ego
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.75MHz
GTB 2 low profile + 25.5 Novak Boss with zero brake = a main win 1 weekend & TQ two weeks later for me.. now if only Mr.Tommy R would only show up n letting me see how the Champ does it I might learn something new.

☆frankie p☆
XRay 2013 VTA Firebird Trans Am
CRC1/12 Alter Ego
LOL! Frankie, I don't think you or anyone else would learn anything new from me!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

How things have changed and also stayed the same. Just got my first set of HPI TRANS AM tires and WOW they are they different than what we used to get. These feel like they might have some traction right out of the bag. The old ones had a hard glaze on them that you had to "wear" off before you had any traction (probably the source of the no tire grinding rule - not that I ever did that ). But its still the same with all the mine's bigger/better than yours discussion. Only now it just ESCs we're debating.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 12-16-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PirateRN
Hey all! I just changed from a TC4 Club Racer to the Spec R S1.
I have searched for some VTA setups for the chassis, but keep getting 17.5 or mod results.
Does anyone have any links they could share?
So far, I really like the chassis and my lap times and consistency have improved.
this is the car that is similar to an xray vehicle?

If so, there is a USGT setup that I put on mine that I am really liking, I have an Xray T3 2012.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by PirateRN
Hey all! I just changed from a TC4 Club Racer to the Spec R S1.
I have searched for some VTA setups for the chassis, but keep getting 17.5 or mod results.
Does anyone have any links they could share?
So far, I really like the chassis and my lap times and consistency have improved.
So you want one faster than mine?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

I have three Spec-Rs, I use an S1 and a R1 for VTA, and another S1 for USGT. I think they're great. I'm competitive with all the guys running the expensive chassis and one of the "good" guys ran my S1 and won the A-main.

So yeah, they're "like an X-ray" only a LOT cheaper...
Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, Jay, one of these days I will keep up with you. I use all of the advice you nicely share with me. I just like to see other things that I could try.

Thanks for the help everyone. One of these days, I'll travel east for a race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.