Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Our RPM limit is 2550 (Get it, 25.5).

My FDR is 5.45 while my brother is running a 5.2 to get the same rpm. Both of our motors are right around 30 degrees on the timing marks.

I don't know what others are running as it is no longer a concern as far as teching goes.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

not fond of the RPM limit as the gearing difference could allow more grunt for some.
The rpm max only limits the top rpm the whole rest of the curve could be totally different

We have a spec 3.7FDR and I usually win but I often run the back markers cars and run the same lap times, I have never seen one slower than another that wasn't the driver or setup.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayL
not fond of the RPM limit as the gearing difference could allow more grunt for some.
The rpm max only limits the top rpm the whole rest of the curve could be totally different

We have a spec 3.7FDR and I usually win but I often run the back markers cars and run the same lap times, I have never seen one slower than another that wasn't the driver or setup.
Totally agree. Spec only goes so far and trying to make more and more things fit into a spec, the more you have to do. Keep it simple. But that's just my opinion and I'm not one that gets frustrated by losing.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

With all the functions of transmitters these days, how are yall making sure someone isn't turning the throttle endpoint down a little, teching, then turning back to 100% when they get on the stand?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Yeah, we manage to have fun. Some night it's less about the racing and more about giving each other a hard time. It comes down to how "hopped up on mountain dew" we are. That is why I painted my car in the dew scheme.
Where do you race? What track?

I want to come run some VTA with your gang.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

We race every Friday night at the local hobby town in Sioux Falls South Dokota. Stop on by and bring your car.

http://www.hobbytown.com/Sioux_Falls-SD_Racing/

We can help you get you car tuned to the rpm limit. Takes almost no time as long as you have a few gears with you or a car that others are running, we can go by what they are running to get close.

We had a fdr limit...didn't work. At the slow speeds we are running (6.9 is slow) the differences in motors is huge. There is nothing you can do to speed it up either as everyone is at the timing limit and gear limit. If you have a slow car you are s.o.l. You will just have to trust me, we tested every which way. I drove their cars (and I win a lot too) and there is a difference. Our tract is small and to be .8 off the pace is huge. Doing nothing else and swapping the motors with one of the fast guys Motors brought their speeds and times up. You won't convince me it is anything other than differences in motor.

On large tracks with no fdr limit this is insignificant, you can adjust gearing and timing to keep pace. Not on our track. Out local goal is slower, closer matched cars. The only way to effectively spec this was a rpm limit and the handheld tach is the simplest, easiest solution track side.

It works awesome and people are having more fun, the leaders stay closer together for longer and it is more of a race. I love it.

How do we keep an eye on cheating, we don't. We race! There is a contingency plan to have radios checked and asking everyone to turn their end points up to max when setting the throttle range but it isn't an issue. You can tell if a car is walking away and needs to be checked. So far though we are all having fun and that is the important part.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

video from my onboard camera in VTA @ the SNOWBIRDS

http://www.rcactionpics.com/2013/201...rds_page2.html
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How small of a track are you running that the only way to keep VTA even is to restrict rpm at the wheels? What are the lap times?

I would speculate that the reason the racing is closer now is because the slower speeds have made it easier for a poorly setup car to turn closer laps times to the better setup cars.

I'm glad this formula works for your track, but my experience running VTA at many tracks has shown this isn't really necessary to have a level playing field.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

We race every Friday night at the local hobby town in Sioux Falls South Dokota. Stop on by and bring your car.

http://www.hobbytown.com/Sioux_Falls-SD_Racing/

We can help you get you car tuned to the rpm limit. Takes almost no time as long as you have a few gears with you or a car that others are running, we can go by what they are running to get close.

We had a fdr limit...didn't work. At the slow speeds we are running (6.9 is slow) the differences in motors is huge. There is nothing you can do to speed it up either as everyone is at the timing limit and gear limit. If you have a slow car you are s.o.l. You will just have to trust me, we tested every which way. I drove their cars (and I win a lot too) and there is a difference. Our tract is small and to be .8 off the pace is huge. Doing nothing else and swapping the motors with one of the fast guys Motors brought their speeds and times up. You won't convince me it is anything other than differences in motor.

On large tracks with no fdr limit this is insignificant, you can adjust gearing and timing to keep pace. Not on our track. Out local goal is slower, closer matched cars. The only way to effectively spec this was a rpm limit and the handheld tach is the simplest, easiest solution track side.

It works awesome and people are having more fun, the leaders stay closer together for longer and it is more of a race. I love it.

How do we keep an eye on cheating, we don't. We race! There is a contingency plan to have radios checked and asking everyone to turn their end points up to max when setting the throttle range but it isn't an issue. You can tell if a car is walking away and needs to be checked. So far though we are all having fun and that is the important part.
If it works for you guys, great. I just wouldn't run that class there. There are already national rules for the class and no matter how many restrictions you put on things...the best drivers still finish first and people like me still finish in the back. I don't mind that either. Just means that if a person races there and travels at all, say to the VTA nationals, they can't use those local races to dial in their car. I like seeing the guys I know dial in their cars and go on to the A Main in a big race. Feels like I helped...mostly by getting in their way . But far be it from me to say what each track should do. Just my opinion.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

in my opinion the rules are fine if u run a tc3 or tc4 but ive got a t3 2012 and with a ea battery i still have 143 grams to make the 1550 mark and to tell u the truth its not worth the hasle im starting to rethink the usvta thing and maybe go gt or tc and anyone who says the rules are there to help guys with older cars crap not everyone wants a late 90s car or early 2000 some want something a little nicer the weight thing is just killing me
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thrasher05
in my opinion the rules are fine if u run a tc3 or tc4 but ive got a t3 2012 and with a ea battery i still have 143 grams to make the 1550 mark and to tell u the truth its not worth the hasle im starting to rethink the usvta thing and maybe go gt or tc and anyone who says the rules are there to help guys with older cars crap not everyone wants a late 90s car or early 2000 some want something a little nicer the weight thing is just killing me
Are you running a driver figure?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

There is nothing that prevents someone with a full VTA car from running here. We have a RPM limit but that is easy to adjust to, the same as adjusting to a track at a national event. Every event/track someone races at requires different setups and ours is no different.

The point of VTA at our local club is to have a friendly class that is slow and controlled. The VTA formula works at our track and we have a great time. Our track measures 25' x 55' with typical lap times around 8 seconds for the fast guys.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is nothing that prevents someone with a full VTA car from running here. We have a RPM limit but that is easy to adjust to, the same as adjusting to a track at a national event. Every event/track someone races at requires different setups and ours is no different.

The point of VTA at our local club is to have a friendly class that is slow and controlled. The VTA formula works at our track and we have a great time. Our track measures 25' x 55' with typical lap times around 8 seconds for the fast guys.
They can run there, just not really dial in the car there. Like I said, glad it works for you. I will stick to the national rules which are more than restrictive enough in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Are you running a driver figure?
lol yea and decking in the body im just venting but yea id love to be at 1450
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
How small of a track are you running that the only way to keep VTA even is to restrict rpm at the wheels? What are the lap times?

I would speculate that the reason the racing is closer now is because the slower speeds have made it easier for a poorly setup car to turn closer laps times to the better setup cars.

I'm glad this formula works for your track, but my experience running VTA at many tracks has shown this isn't really necessary to have a level playing field.
That's not the case at all. I would say out of the 25 vta cars we have, 22 of them were slower than the rpm limit we are running now. I personally was running an rpm of 2004 and with this new rule i got to bump up my rpm to roughly 2540. So with our slow FDR we were running which was a 6.9 it showed the differences of the motors a lot. And now that it has changed almost every car is faster and it is a lot more equal racing and a lot more fun. I have been racing there for 2 or more years and was thinking about quitting this class just because the motor differences were so different that it made it unfair to some racers. I am very happy with the change

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.