Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Every once in a while a VTA driver will come in and whoop everybody at my track. Then everybody questions what that driver has put in his car to make it go so fast. Most of the time the driver will let us inspect his car and he will be 100% compliant with the rules. A few weeks later the fast driver gets bored with VTA and moves on to a faster race class. Then it's all back to normal again.

My point is that VTA is a great class for new racers to get started. All of the regular VTA racers support the newest racers and help them get up to speed with the pack. Once in a while the fastest VTA drivers will graduate and move on to Sedan or 1/12 scale pan car.
Yeah, when a brand new driver comes into our VTA race and whoops everybody we usually hang him up from the ceiling using his battery wires ... J.K.

Actually we welcome as many new racers as we can. We provide one another with great set-up advice and if any VTA racer breaks a part, we usually get him a replacement part right away so he can keep running with us.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Posting these by request from Darkside. Thanks for noticing my paint jobs.

VTA TC3: hpi `70 Challenger Body

VTA TC3: hpi `69 Camaro Z28

Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
I also found a noce wite up about usin an old mouse scroll wheel as a simple RPM tester, anyone have any better solutions?
Yes. I use one of these:

http://www.hobbico.com/fieldequip/hcap0401.html

It's a tachometer used to measure propeller RPM on model airplanes, and uses a photocell to "look" at the blade passing by. There are other brands that operate the same.

To use it on brushless motors, I added an LED (yellow or green work okay) with a 470 ohm series resistor and a couple of alligator clips to connect it to any two of the motor terminals, and positioned the LED so it faces into the photocell. A piece of heat-shrink tubing holds the LED and photocell together. There's enough room to get everything inside the case, so it looks pretty spiffy:

Last edited by howardcano; 12-03-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
very interesting thoughts on motor fan ect....

1. no contact with motor

2. any add on as long as the ring isnt removed

3. no fans or heatsinks

which makes more sense

I vote #2
Old 12-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by saneone

That Challenger is awesome looking. More detailed pics please.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

very interesting thoughts on motor fan ect....

1. no contact with motor

3. no fans or heatsinks

which makes more sense

I vote #2
# 2

Who does number 2 woooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkk fooooooooooooooooorrrr lmao
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

for the track that is running a FDR with 25.5's...yikes...you are seeing different speeds cause the "sweet spot" is different on motors...

I currently have 3 25.5's...and all have better performance at different spots on timming and gearing..example

in my TC4..

Novak reman 25.5 SS...is full timming and 3.61 FDR
Novak "original" 25.5 stator Ballastic is 37 deg timming and 3.7 FDR
Novak New 25.5 Ballastic is 30?(stock setting) deg timming and 3.9-4.0 FDR

all getting low 12's at the track

by limiting the FDR at 6.9?...some motors are not in the sweet spot of performance and will be off pace with others...also eliminating the 4.2 FDR with 21.5's was the best thing in VTA imo...I hated to tech FDR with so many chassis...

No FDR and keeping the timming to the last notch on the sticker is as even as possible
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Hate to say it Monkey, but that is all it has ever been. There were breaks to push a certain race or very rarely tech advice, but otherwise, that is all these threads have ever been. Right, wrong, indifferent, it is the truth of it.

Thats the sad part, you couldnt be more right and I think Ive just had enough of it. Ive defended this class countless times, fought to keep races in the rules and even emailed countless manufacturers to expand whats available to us for a long time. The rare times I get a response Ive posted here.

Originally Posted by saneone

That is a very nice paint job. The Camaro is as well but that Challenger just pops.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Guys just have fun. I plan on having fun with my still basicly box stock TC4 Club Racer. That was the main reason I bought it was to have fun in VTA, keep it simple stupid and let My TC6.1 to handle the Grown Man Business of 17.5 TC.

1. no contact with motor

3. no fans or heatsinks

which makes more sense

I vote #2
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Chris, I wouldnt get upset about this topic, or any...I believe its healthy for the class as long as we keep it under control and take in opinions...we need to hear what racers across the Nation are doing in every club....even with my traveling and others, we cant be at every club/track...so it helps to bring things up like this so ppl can chime in to offer experience and opinions

Rob, Eric and others read this all the time and take it all in. No different the ESC,Bodies, and other things about the class...it all gets absorbed
Old 12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Chris, I wouldnt get upset about this topic, or any...I believe its healthy for the class as long as we keep it under control and take in opinions...we need to hear what racers across the Nation are doing in every club....even with my traveling and others, we cant be at every club/track...so it helps to bring things up like this so ppl can chime in to offer experience and opinions

Rob, Eric and others read this all the time and take it all in. No different the ESC,Bodies, and other things about the class...it all gets absorbed
Yea, but I get ignored becuase I dont use snake juice or chuck norris blood. :-) lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Yea, but I get ignored becuase I dont use snake juice or chuck norris blood. :-) lol.
Lmao Eric did you know that chuck Norris invented the hamburger patty
By throwing a cow at a chain link fence
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

We set our FDR for a slower class as we have the 17.5 for those that want to go fast. That is the biggest problem with the FDR we have set right now, the motors don't even come close to being even as we aren't even coming close to their limits.

I like the tach from the airplane idea but just adds another thing to tech cause it won't measure the wheel speed, just the motor. We would have to tech the gears and the motor rpm. It i could creat a dump box to set the cars on all we would have to do is a few pulls here and there. They could gear however they wanted as long as the max rpm wasn't breached.

I know this isn't a VTA rule, just our local rules to keep the speeds down from the 17.5 class. Even with all the restrictions we typically get 15 to 20 cars every Friday. Most racers run multiple classes which brings us a consistent car count close to 40 each Friday.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd

The original intent was to dis-allow the "optional" permanent heat sink/fan made by Novak which required the motor to be physically taken apart to install it. The use of any other optional heatsink fan has always been legal, with the exception of the LRP model that had a 40mm fan.

It was also implemented to dis-allow the light weight, vented, optional internal fan assembly made by Eagle racing and sold thru Integy.
This. Except I don't remember the LRP thing...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If I had to do this where you guys are racing I would have never built a car for this class. Make that two cars, the other for my teammate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.