Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

None required.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oceanhighz
Actually looking at doing lights in the next body I have, anyone have suggestions on how to do it fairly realistically? Probably going to be using a Javelin, if not, I'll be using a Camaro or Cuda/Challenger. Top choice being the J71. I know I've done Led's in a short course body before, mainly to keep direction well when running on a track with dark spots at night, I'd prefer for this to be more scale looking. Getting 4 lights for the front seems it'd be fairly easy, the back tail lights might take a bit more ingenuity. I'm also going to do this so there is minimal worry of them falling out during a race, as I'd hate to lose because of lights......
I made my own buckets from corn starch and clear window silicone caulk. They do the job consmetically but they are very heavy. ABC hobby has a generic lexan light bucket, much lighter. The headlights are antique white 5mm LED's recessed into the bucket. Half of the headlight decal is cut out so that it still has some of the HPI decal look but the light shines through it with a droopy eyed look.

Pics take a bit to load.

http://www.brooksphotodesign.net/201...l#_DSC0630.JPG

http://www.brooksphotodesign.net/201...l#_DSC0652.JPG

Originally Posted by DontChangeUSVTA
Somebody please clarify. No LED's are required for USVTA racing. Correct?
They are not required for USVTA or USGT however more racers are liking the idea and wanting them. VTA just doesnt have any shells with buckets.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdeadman
Small Track timing cranked down all the way.
med track cranked up all the way
Large to really Stupid about middle to 2/3 full. Just to keep the heat down.
Do you crank the timing down on a small track for torque?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

None required.

Light buckets have the nicest effect for scale looks. I have not seen LED's for RC bigger then 7mm (I have not looked either) but that is way too small for the headlights on a VTA body. I did Tamiya light buckets in an HPI body and they came out pretty nice.

Ignore the wiring, I was trying to see how everything worked. I had the controller that gave it working brake lights and turn signals. It was fun.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-lights1.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-lights2.jpg  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by orcadigital
None required.

Light buckets have the nicest effect for scale looks. I have not seen LED's for RC bigger then 7mm (I have not looked either) but that is way too small for the headlights on a VTA body. I did Tamiya light buckets in an HPI body and they came out pretty nice.

Ignore the wiring, I was trying to see how everything worked. I had the controller that gave it working brake lights and turn signals. It was fun.
Why are we talking about putting LED's into car bodies on the USVTA thread?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Because someone wants to put LED's in their USVTA car...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yes as samll tracks usually have very tight corners and the track is a lot of stop and go so I need accelleration. If you have a open flowing design where speed is what you need crank her up
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Because its better than revisiting the "batteries don't make a difference in VTA" thread.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey everyone. I am sure this has been asked a before and I could search but I am lazy. I want to get in to the VTA series. So far I have only raced off road. Our club is going to adopt the class for next points series and I am interested in getting a set up to race. I thought on road was boring until I saw this class. I have never raced on road so.... With out spending a huge amount of dough what is a good rolling chassis to start out with? I was looking at the HPI sprint 2 but haven't seen good reviews how about the TC3, TC4 or 5 I have seen used rollers reasonable. Any other brands to check out??
TIA
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by tajar66
Hey everyone. I am sure this has been asked a before and I could search but I am lazy. I want to get in to the VTA series. So far I have only raced off road. Our club is going to adopt the class for next points series and I am interested in getting a set up to race. I thought on road was boring until I saw this class. I have never raced on road so.... With out spending a huge amount of dough what is a good rolling chassis to start out with? I was looking at the HPI sprint 2 but haven't seen good reviews how about the TC3, TC4 or 5 I have seen used rollers reasonable. Any other brands to check out??
TIA
Hey TIA, some of the most successful (low cost) rollers that I have seen raced as VTA's at my local track are:
  1. Team Losi XXX-S
  2. 3Racing Sakura Zero S
  3. Yokomo MR4TC
  4. Team Associated TC3 and TC4
  5. Schumacher Mi1 (Mi-One) or Mission
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Just make sure your local hobby shop carries parts for whatever chassis you decide to buy. Nothing worse than breaking, then no fixing.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Unless you create some sort of reflector (from old flashlights or something) it is more difficult to make the lights look scale.
This sounds like a great idea. A maglite solitaire (the tiny single aaa cell light) would probably be a perfect donor for a reflector. Just looking at my headlight diameter on the 68 camaro, I would say its very close to the maglite diameter.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tajar66
TIA
The Associated TC4 is the best bang4buck chassis. You can go as fast as all the other manufacturer's chassis with it, as Darkside proved. He is our local VTA guru. Recently he took an out of the box TC4, Justock ESC, 25.5 Novak and put down laps that would have gotten him in the A Main at the VTA Southern Nationals. He done it to prove that a TC4 is all you need, besides skill, to run well in VTA
Old 10-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Found some 10mm LED's (measured the light decals for the javelin and these are the closest to it for the headlights. Wouldn't be perfectly scale, but would at least fill those light areas. The rear tails, I'd have to find smaller ones to make a row of small lights to take up the space.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.