Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Catfish12c
...Since the spirit of this class is budget racing, what are the disadvantages of us running older chassis (TC-3's)? Would we be really hampered by the higher weight of those older cars due to the low power of the 25.5 motors?
Actually the Spirit of the VTA Class is "slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars". VTA was not designed to be a "money-saving" class. The cost of a 25.5T brushless System is just as much as a Spec Non-timing 17.5T System. The Lipo batteries cost the same and the same goes with the servos and radios too.

To answer your question about "older cars", there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting off with a TC3 for VTA. It is a great car and very easy to tune as well. The USVTA rules clearly state that all cars should have a minimum weight of 1550 grams, so a TC3 should weigh the same as all the other cars in a VTA race.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Woops...Sorry Catfish. I thought his pics would be in that post. Look down a few posts and you'll see his collection of TC3's.
I tend to disagree with the comment about VTA not meant to be a "money saving" class. The original description of VTA mentioned "getting those older chassis off the shelf" and being able to race them. The bottom line was that the lower performance requirements simply don't demand the higher level costs of items usually reserved for TC.
Get what YOU want to buy and go racing. If someone else wants to race a $400 chassis so be it. And yes....plenty of racers like "Darkside" are more than competitive with older cars.

Last edited by Evoracer; 07-11-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As I remember it, way back when, when the godfather of VTA ( Marty and a few other Trackside guys) and the then, fledgling group who formed USVTA, (Doug,Rob,Jimmy, Kevin,Howard,Eugene and others) were starting to run the class as it was originally, formed (27T 4cell). Not withstanding what others had done before both of these groups, I believe scottrik's group in montana and also a group at Mimi's years prior.

The 68' Camaro was originally pulled from .025 ( I think) material. Now, with the speeds of the 27t 4.8v the front end was pretty much able to handle most hits, but was still fragile around the front spoiler and grill due to the thiness after the pull. Then once 21.5 7.4v was introduced all bets were off .

To prevent destroying the front end in a weekend, some started to extend the edges to the wheel well to eliminate the split from the edge of the splitter/spoiler up through the front fender into the headlight. In addition to the drywall tape shoo goo.

The 68' was then switched to .030 to beef up the front end, it had become standard practice around these parts by then to "extend" the front spoiler to the fender on most of the HPI bodies to help with the splitting of the body in the front.

I trim my rear spoiler's differently to help keep them on the car by leaving a little extra at the edges to creat flanges for shoe goo or carpet tape in addition to the screw mounts. IMO, this variation is also in "the spirit of the rules".

Should a clause have been put in to expressly allow this particular variation as it was happening, yep, probably. The USVTA and Trackside racers regularly raced/practiced together so it really probably was an overthought at the time,(just like some rules in our ROAR rulebooks are outdated for many classes).
Old 07-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I'm seriously thinking of getting myself and my son a couple of VTA rides setup since KRaceway here in Kissimmee is so close to my home.

OK, enough blathering on and on to my questions...

Since the spirit of this class is budget racing, what are the disadvantages of us running older chassis (TC-3's)? Would we be really hampered by the higher weight of those older cars due to the low power of the 25.5 motors?
The only downside's to older chassis can be getting your hands on parts (see the untimely demise of the Losi Type R). The TC3 was popular enough that you won't have any problems there! Performance wise, you'll have nothing to worry about either. It's still a great chassis.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'm seriously thinking of getting myself and my son a couple of VTA rides setup since KRaceway here in Kissimmee is so close to my home.

OK, enough blathering on and on to my questions...

Since the spirit of this class is budget racing, what are the disadvantages of us running older chassis (TC-3's)? Would we be really hampered by the higher weight of those older cars due to the low power of the 25.5 motors?
There is no disadvantage to running a TC3. The 1550 weight minimum is the great equalizer in this class if everyone running respects it. Newer cars are a little easier to tune in some respects, but you can do just about everything you need to with a TC3. I race one regularly and manage to beat plenty of newer cars with it.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Forgive me if I was in error about thinking of this as a budget class. I just assumed.

But I am encouraged about the good responses in regards to using TC-3's. Or, depending on the parts availability out there, maybe looking for a TC-4 or 5. I just can't see spending $400 for one chassis when I can probably find 2 relatively good quality TC-3's for $150.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
very good point...and I can see this being addressed...wait for it ,wait for it...answer the phone dude..oh you at work...ok...point taken...

and on the spoiler as such HPI1970 Boss...

For the HPI Mustangs which are not provided with a spoiler:
A lexan spoiler of 16mm total height from trunk deck, and overall chord of 20mm is allowable. All other bodies must use the spoiler included with that specific body set. Built in spoilers may not be enhanced. 17546 - 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (scale wing ok)

and some mod here....if Robk approves it

Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed (not wings). No additional skirts or raised/extended wings or air control surfaces allowed. Body must be trimmed at body trim lines, the front spoiler may be cut from the front panel to the end of the front spoiler ONLY...this is to help with enforment on the body, it is not a performance modification.Full rear bumper required. It is highly preferred that bodies are detailed in race type livery in period-correct paint schemes. Fluorescent colors, wild graphics, chromes and non-period correct paint schemes are frowned upon. All cars must have a number on the hood, both doors and trunk lid. Wheel covers of any type are NOT allowed.
All cars must include a driver figure consisting of at least a head and shoulders.

example below from back in the day...2009 ish
This is perfect. Thank you very much for an official change suggestion to allow this type of trimming. I hope your suggestion is added to the rule set soon so it is clear what is and is not allowed.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
cat we will be at the kissimmee track this sunday stop by i will have my kid with his car
and you can both try them out hows that
Thank you kindly for the offer. May just take you up on that.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

maybe someone can repost the mods that need to be done on the tc3s in order to get to the needed fdr for some tracks. That may be of interest to catfish....jmo
Old 07-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Thank you kindly for the offer. May just take you up on that.
Ohh you r most welcom that's what VTA is all about
New friends old friends good racing and great fun
Even if you have a $400 chassie don't matter
I had a tc5 when I started and it was just as fast
If not better then my 6.1
I only made the change so I could carry
One cars parts and always have a second car ready
For TC or USGT
Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
As I remember it, way back when, when the godfather of VTA ( Marty and a few other Trackside guys) and the then, fledgling group who formed USVTA, (Doug,Rob,Jimmy, Kevin,Howard,Eugene and others) were starting to run the class as it was originally, formed (27T 4cell). Not withstanding what others had done before both of these groups, I believe scottrik's group in montana and also a group at Mimi's years prior.

The 68' Camaro was originally pulled from .025 ( I think) material. Now, with the speeds of the 27t 4.8v the front end was pretty much able to handle most hits, but was still fragile around the front spoiler and grill due to the thiness after the pull. Then once 21.5 7.4v was introduced all bets were off .

To prevent destroying the front end in a weekend, some started to extend the edges to the wheel well to eliminate the split from the edge of the splitter/spoiler up through the front fender into the headlight. In addition to the drywall tape shoo goo.

The 68' was then switched to .030 to beef up the front end, it had become standard practice around these parts by then to "extend" the front spoiler to the fender on most of the HPI bodies to help with the splitting of the body in the front.

I trim my rear spoiler's differently to help keep them on the car by leaving a little extra at the edges to creat flanges for shoe goo or carpet tape in addition to the screw mounts. IMO, this variation is also in "the spirit of the rules".

Should a clause have been put in to expressly allow this particular variation as it was happening, yep, probably. The USVTA and Trackside racers regularly raced/practiced together so it really probably was an overthought at the time,(just like some rules in our ROAR rulebooks are outdated for many classes).
thank you EW
Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Hey Myron WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU RACED YOUR TC3
Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Great news FSEARA adds USVTA to its race schedule

Guys please check the www.fseara.com site and if any of
You can make a race or 2 that would be great
I GOT THIS FROM FSEARA & MARK MIXON

Wow! I finally locked down next year's schedule today!

A couple variations in dates from the 3rd weekend, I put minor explanations by dates. Saturday will be a club race, Sundays will be the official race date.

September 15th & 16th FIRCC, Plant City
State race, awards presentation for 2011-12 series

October 27th &28th Stricklands RC, Daytona
This race was moved to the 4th weekend so it doesn,t overlap Biketoberfest.

November 17th & 18th Village Raceway, Royal Palm Beach

January 13th MINNREG, Largo
This actually falls on the second weekend and was contingent upon scheduling the building. Practice on the 12th after oval mains.

March 16th & 17th Charlotte Raceway, Punta Gorda

April 20th & 21st Superior Hobbies, Casselberry

May 18th and 19th K-Raceway, Kissimmee

Many thanks to the track owners for their flexibility and providing excellent venues last year.

Classes look like 17.5 and 13.5 blinky, Mod, USVTA and WGT.

I'm currently working on sponsors for next year and awards. If anyone has any contact info in the industry and would like to help out, please forward, it'd be much appreciated.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Another Florida track adds USVTA to it's classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarry
Our Next race is this Sunday August 4th

Track opens at 9am for practice, Qualifiers will start around 11am, we will run 3 qualifiers and then mains. Race fee is $10.00

Classes we run:

17.5 Blinky Touring (Non Boosted)
13.5 Blinky Touring (Non Boosted)
USVTA
Short Course Trucks 13.5 (Non Boosted)

Any questions just ask!

Hope to see you all at the track!

For more track info check out our web site:

http://www.charlottercracers.com

Or our Facebook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlo...08540995831350

If any of you guys live over this way Dave runs a great race program
And the track is ultra smooooth asphalt
USVTA is now growing in Florida
Great time to get involved With all this racing coming up
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So is hobby town in Melbourne still operational? That would make east, west and central Florida running VTA...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.