Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
so some guy with a 6000mah battery is just going to own?

We could almost double our VTA class if :

1. guys could run the batteries they already own for other classes, which left 5000 behind long ago , save $$

2. guys could run blinky esc as they already own one and most of the approved esc's are discontinued, save $$

also these two changes would allow most guys to run the same car in VTA and blinky 17.5 again saving them money
The rules are working great just the way they are. No changes necessary. The current version of rules is golden. We have seen the number of VTA racers at our local track nearly triple in the last 8 months.

I can tell you from first hand experience that when somebody tells me they are not running VTA just because they don't have a 5000mah battery or a USVTA-listed ESC, I would lend them a battery and an ESC to put in their car so they could run VTA with the rest of us. 9 times out of 10 they end up loving the VTA class and they end up buying the right battery and ESC so they can run VTA every week.

For the most part if somebody is already racing a 17.5 Spec Sedan, they usually don't show interest in racing VTA because of the slower speeds. The only exception is when a person who has zero racing experience gets started with a 17.5 Spec Sedan, then starts breaking parts left and right from slamming into the boards, then decides to switch their car over to VTA for the slower speeds and less parts breakage. That's my story exactly one year ago.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

so some guy with a 6000mah battery is just going to own?

We could almost double our VTA class if :

1. guys could run the batteries they already own for other classes, which left 5000 behind long ago , save $$

2. guys could run blinky esc as they already own one and most of the approved esc's are discontinued, save $$

also these two changes would allow most guys to run the same car in VTA and blinky 17.5 again saving them money

oh good gawd - STOP... don't need this over and over again, but then again, this is a new tread and no one started this crap yet

congrats, you're the first!!

most tracks actually have bigger VTA turn outs then 17.5 - so there ain't no need to allow other stuff in

rules ain't broke, so no need to fix... thanks for your input
Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wwddww34
The rules are working great just the way they are. No changes necessary. The current version of rules is golden. We have seen the number of VTA racers at our local track nearly triple in the last 8 months.

I can tell you from first hand experience that when somebody tells me they are not running VTA just because they don't have a 5000mah battery or a USVTA-listed ESC, I would lend them a battery and an ESC to put in their car so they could run VTA with the rest of us. 9 times out of 10 they end up loving the VTA class and they end up buying the right battery and ESC so they can run VTA every week.

For the most part if somebody is already racing a 17.5 Spec Sedan, they usually don't show interest in racing VTA because of the slower speeds. The only exception is when a person who has zero racing experience gets started with a 17.5 Spec Sedan, then starts breaking parts left and right from slamming into the boards, then decides to switch their car over to VTA for the slower speeds and less parts breakage. That's my story exactly one year ago.
And this constant bickering about the rules every 10 pages or so is why I took the vta car apart and turned it into a usgt car for the time being. Not permanently leaving vta just taking a break to let things settle down......if they ever do. I agree the rules are fine. Leave them alone so there is a constant base line to follow. The only things that should be changed is when new equipment is released to the market, like the club. A decision on what new products will and will not be allowed.

And another thing on a racers level. To anyone trying to bend the rules.....quit it. It just ruins the spirit of the class.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Sorry if I am trying to grow our class and let guys run what they own, many have been asking, sorry for you if your track isn't like mine.

I would like to see lap times of 5000+ mah with blinky as they much be MUCH faster, hence all the fear of change

All I did was ask, I didn't say you all suck or try to flame you for bad rules that nobody is willing to explain
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Sorry if I am trying to grow our class and let guys run what they own, many have been asking, sorry for you if your track isn't like mine.

I would like to see lap times of 5000+ mah with blinky as they much be MUCH faster, hence all the fear of change

All I did was ask, I didn't say you all suck or try to flame you for bad rules that nobody is willing to explain
Its not a fear of change. It is following the rules as they are written without change. Sorry if you got upset but this conversation has been a constant in this thread for too long. VTA is just like any other rc class. It has rules. By all means do what you want at your own track but understand those cars will not be legal for a vta sanctioned event.

As far as faster mmmmmmm nope. They let blinky speed controls in for the roar race and they were not any faster. Not sure why some speed controls are legal and others are not, I'm not that technically involved but I guarantee there is a reason.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
And this constant bickering about the rules every 10 pages or so is why I took the vta car apart and turned it into a usgt car for the time being. Not permanently leaving vta just taking a break to let things settle down......if they ever do.
This forum is the only place I ever see any bickering. VTA is the largest class at our local track and don't see that changing any time soon. There is never any bickering about rules either. We just help the new guys to understand them and help them to get started and the class takes care of itself. I have several classes of cars and VTA is the only one that I could never give up.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Its not a fear of change. It is following the rules as they are written without change. Sorry if you got upset but this conversation has been a constant in this thread for too long. VTA is just like any other rc class. It has rules. By all means do what you want at your own track but understand those cars will not be legal for a vta sanctioned event.

As far as faster mmmmmmm nope. They let blinky speed controls in for the roar race and they were not any faster. Not sure why some speed controls are legal and others are not, I'm not that technically involved but I guarantee there is a reason.
We don't hear anyone complain about any other classes rules. I don't understand why the VTA rules are so hard to accept. I got into VTA a few months ago and found the rules, and built my car accordingly. I had a spare Tekin RS that I would have loved to have used, but I bought what was needed. I ran blinky buggy because it was supposed to be a more equal class that depends on the driving skills, but I have seen a few of the racers with ESC's with blinky settings manipulate them so they blink and still able to use boost. So I like the fact that the ESC's we are required to use prevent that. It makes it all about driving skills and setup skills, which is where I need the most improvement. I love the fact that it pushes me to learn. I have since moved into TC and WGT because I like onroad much better then offload.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I have seen kinetic's in gtb2 cases......I have also seen 6000mah batteries with 5000 stickers..........both are easier than making a blinky led

It is called discussion not bickering

nobody said the current rules don't work but if we can increase racers easy then why not.

also the old can't buy anymore thunder power 40c 5000 dominates at my track, so it made me wonder if we can't update the battery as most suggested ones are only around 30c
Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

O
Originally Posted by kwkride
This forum is the only place I ever see any bickering. VTA is the largest class at our local track and don't see that changing any time soon. There is never any bickering about rules either. We just help the new guys to understand them and help them to get started and the class takes care of itself. I have several classes of cars and VTA is the only one that I could never give up.
Like I said I'm not leaving the class just taking a break. It is too much fun just to drop but I need to step out of it for a while. I still want to keep up with the class and help all of the new guys. Its almost as much fun to watch as it is to race.Just need some time off.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

nobody said the current rules don't work but if we can increase racers easy then why not.
Because that's a slippery slope.

If you make one concession for a group of racers, then you'll have to make another concession. Then someone else will get mad and say things aren't fair, so they you make another concession.

Then it all goes downhill and you've lost sight of the original rules.

It took four years of one tiny pocket of racers in Florida using the rules as written before a slightly larger group of Florida racers adopted them. Maybe the rest of the state will catch on, maybe not. VTA isn't for everyone and sometimes it takes longer for everyone to see the light.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

I have seen kinetic's in gtb2 cases......I have also seen 6000mah batteries with 5000 stickers..........both are easier than making a blinky led

It is called discussion not bickering

also the old can't buy anymore thunder power 40c 5000 dominates at my track, so it made me wonder if we can't update the battery as most suggested ones are only around 30c
Yeah if someone wants to get around the rules then they will......for a while.

What I have seen done is to allow "illegal" equipment to be run for someone who wants to try out the class. If they like it and want to run it then they are strongly encouraged to get the equipment to adhere to the rule set. It seems to work as most people stay in the class.

Try the new thunder power 65c 4300 mah pro race. It is a great battery. There are plenty of options that meet the rules since the batteries no longer need to be roar approved.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys look,

I started running this class after a LONG brake from Nitro truggy. I have an MI1 set to current VTA spec. I am still missing the driver.

My story is simple. Evoracer got me into VTA and I love him for it. Sadly he dropped his club shortly after I started. At the same time as my start I raced club events at our local Hobby town in Florida. Now Having ran state races in another country while in the military I now have zero interest in them.

I dropped about 600 on my VTA car starting fresh. This could have easly bought a 17.5 TC car and about 3 races later could have dropped 400 more in parts and such.

VTA is a spec class and I have learned so much from Evoracer and the other guys at the other track.

Hobby town would not run a VTA class and stuck me in the sportman GT any motor goes. I got second place in that race. 2 weeks later 4 guys show up with VTA USVTA rule set cars and the class took off. at Hobby town now 4 races after that we have 4 heats and A and B mains with a 8 car Main. With a car turn out of bout 12-14 people. Had to runs a "Hot rod" class for people like me who own and run one car.

Hot rod rules. Simple- Change body USVTA spec or any car that could be a hot rod no later that the mid 70's

The class is great as is. however more speedos and tires need to be approved. With the music city thing months away... I see a shortage in tires yet again. The rules list is great with that exception to the speedos. That club kit from novack better get approved fast because 120 sounds better to most guys than 160.

A hint to novack. the club VTA package......esc sold by its self is about 90......motor is about 60.....sucks if one has to blow a motor and figure out that the combo is cheaper than buying one or the other new.

DarkSide You asked me once on the old thread If i would make the music city event. I currently have plans to do so. My driving is bad but I will be there.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd
My driving is bad but I will be there.
How bad is it? If its bad enough you and I can put little black circles down the sides of each others concourse level paint.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
How bad is it? If its bad enough you and I can put little black circles down the sides of each others concourse level paint.
Well could be my car I have not figured that out yet. The back end is loose while under light power.

I will not enter the con concourse at Music city however. I want to see first how well I do at my local track. My car and it's decals will be Vintage but with a twist. I am not copying a current driver but making a "Club color" car something I would want a VTA club to have name and all. That is if I ran one anyways.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

+1...and driver talent aside, a complete USVTA-legal car TQ'ed and won the VTA class at the ROAR nationals...and I believe 2nd or 3rd were both speedos on the VTA list...

people have done tests, and there ain't no difference between the 5000 packs and higher packs - just means you can run longer...

So Jay, grow your class at your track - but don't come in here preaching what you think needs to be changed to suit your needs...at the other 99% of the tracks, the rules, as written, work perfectly well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.