Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Easy fix. Put a small washer/spacer on the axle before you install the wheel. An appropriate washer 1 or 2mm thick should do it. As for hitting the bottom of the shock...that may have more to do with steering throw than anything but the spacer may fix the problem. If there's too much steering throw simply reduce the EPA enough so that the wheel doesn't move so far over.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
There's the rub.. we have a set of posted rules, and how many tracks are doing the "Yes, but at our track we...." thing.

There's a happy medium in there that sorts itself out in just about every other onroad or offroad class... just seems like people go to extremes with the VTA thing. Whatever works on a local level to bring people in works for me, if you go to another track or to an event with posted rules.. it's on you to adapt. When those worlds (the "run what'cha brung" and "rule nazi") collide, it leads to all these fun discussions.

You are so right in that there seem to be many people ready to say,"VTA is great idea, BUT I think we need to change this and this and that. Some go so far as to make the only rule they actually adhere to the 25.5 no timing powerplant. A lot of clubs that are pure VTA clubs today started out just hearing about VTA and saying thats a great idea buttttt. So they do their own thing and as they learn more about the USVTA, more and more racers want to adopt it for their own club. Eventually the change happens.

As far as the wing goes I am definitely opposed to the use of touring car wings, but that is not the same as the small home made deck spoiler that is posted in Darksides pictures. Just make sure its no bigger than the one that comes with the Camaro or Cuda.

Originally Posted by MasterPlan
your right it's a club thing that we are starting this sunday, but our club has allowed many non approved bodies. The rules are well....... I love the 25.5 motor rules, ESC rule, weight rule and bodies, but I love all the pre 1979 bodies. I like the old hotrod look very much.
I hope we dont offend you in this thread MasterPlan because we are big on running everything just the way it is in the rules. Its ok to have your own theme for a touring based class. Hot rods, sports cars, pulling campers or whatever you want to run is great as long as you dont call it Official USVTA. I know some would hang me for my stance on the homemade deck spoiler and technically it does break the wording of the rules, but in my opinion it does not break the spirit of the rule and you probably can find some little straight spoilers like that in the historic photos.
(Edit: After browsing through several pages of historic Trans Am photos I still have not found the straight plate spoilers on any TA cars. They are plentiful on IMSA and other later racing series so sorry for that.)

I still think a little home made lip spoiler is no big deal. I am not asking for a change in the rule set. Just making it known that I dont mind it at my events.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-31-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Mystery Chassis

I was offered this 4WD touring for a potential VTA Chassis. No idea what it is?

"HL" is on the car in a few places. Looks solid, but parts? Looks brand new, but dusty.

Any ideas what it is? I googled "HL" and found a few photos for Chinese r/c stuff. Some parts look like Associated.

Whatdayathink?

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mysterycar1.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-mysterycar2.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

HL stands for Heng Long. It's a brand straight from Hong Kong that is sold on Ebay alot. From the looks, it's nicer than the HiMoto / Redcat knock off models and they are different. Parts are non-existent, but maybe you can find parts from other models that will work.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Shouldn't have a problem hitting the weight limit with that aluminum chassis.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I was offered this 4WD touring for a potential VTA Chassis. No idea what it is?
Its a knock off X-ray...some Xray parts might work with it.

Check out R2hobbies.com
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Pegasus Bodies - Opinion

I'm setting up an Exotek T2 007 for VTA racing and I thought I would try the Pegasus SS (camaro) body. It was available on Phil's Hobby Shop for the ridiculously cheap $15.

Other than the low price, there is not a lot going for this brand. There are no paint masks or decals, no overspray film, and no obvious cut lines for the lower edge. Finally, the lexan is fairly thin. The good news is that I won't feel bad beating it up. Next time I will spend the extra $10 for HPI.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-img_0310.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beemerfan
HL stands for Heng Long. It's a brand straight from Hong Kong that is sold on Ebay alot. From the looks, it's nicer than the HiMoto / Redcat knock off models and they are different. Parts are non-existent, but maybe you can find parts from other models that will work.
Thank you guys! That is exactly right. Found one on ebay too for $269 U.S. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-RTR-Ele...item2314a201ef

Even found parts for it. They proudly say its a "knock off" of an XRay T3. Sheesh, that's pretty bold!

Parts: http://hobbyism.co.nz/heng-long-spar...are-parts.html

Might be worth trying for $50.00. That's his price for the one locally.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc

...there seem to be many people ready to say,"VTA is great idea, BUT I think we need to change this and this...

... we are big on running everything just the way it is in the rules...

... technically it does break the wording of the rules ...

... I am not asking for a change in the rule set. Just making it known that I dont mind it at my events.

Do as I say, not as I do ?
To be consistant in your statements, you should be asking for a change in the rule set.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rufus2010
Do as I say, not as I do ?
To be consistant in your statements, you should be asking for a change in the rule set.
You are totally correct about the inconsistency in my statements. The reality is that it's a little bitty piece of lexan that may or may not make any difference in performance and I just don't give a rip about it.

I don't want a change in the rules because I don't want to hassle Rob about this stupid little non issue. If I did ask for a rule change then I would say that there should be a five dollar fine for whining about the spoiler and a hundred dollar fine for whining about the five dollar fine.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
You are totally correct about the inconsistency in my statements. The reality is that it's a little bitty piece of lexan that may or may not make any difference in performance and I just don't give a rip about it.

I don't want a change in the rules because I don't want to hassle Rob about this stupid little non issue. If I did ask for a rule change then I would say that there should be a five dollar fine for whining about the spoiler and a hundred dollar fine for whining about the five dollar fine.
Ahhhhh true scale racing at last. realistic looking bodies, finding loop holes in the rules to gain an advantage, arguing about the rule set and now fines on top of fines.

I really don't care about the spoilers. They don't make a difference in this class. Just to throw this out there though you wouldn't see one manufacturer using another manufacturers spoiler in real trans am racing.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

True. You wouldn't. I thought you might find evidence of where teams had fabbed their own spoilers, but nope.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I really don't care about the spoilers. They don't make a difference in this class.
What type of track do you run on? Having run on a giant outdoor asphalt track last summer trying both Camaro and Mustang bodies, the spoiler/body made a very noticable difference. On a smaller track and/or on carpet I wouldn't think it would matter much(?)
Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
What type of track do you run on? Having run on a giant outdoor asphalt track last summer trying both Camaro and Mustang bodies, the spoiler/body made a very noticable difference. On a smaller track and/or on carpet I wouldn't think it would matter much(?)
I have run both but my home track is indoor carpet and high traction technical. I ran the Pegasus mustang on the longer outdoor tracks and finished very well. I didn't miss a rear spoiler at all. Car seemed to handle fine without it.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Running today at Thunder in Nashville, I ripped my spoiler off my 68 Camaro body during a very skilled cork screw passing maneuver that didnt go well, and it was a very noticeable difference for the rest of the race. Got very loose in the rear. Remounted it between heats and was back to how it was before the failed super skilled maneuver attempt.

For those that didnt get it, there was A LOT of sarcasm in the "maneuver", was more of a WTF did I just do moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.