R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #1261
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

its a valid point guys...and hopefully the USVTA will look at it and we can move on..no biggie, nothing to see here...lol
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #1262
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.wilson View Post
How often and in what manor is the "governing body" of USVTA assessing the rules and their effectiveness?

This issue about cutting 1/4" peice of lexan is really controversial/trivial. doesnt the "spirit of vta" cover stuff like that? ie let it go?
Here's the thing... on the message board here... it's all debate and nit picking the rules.

On the track, it's all racing
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #1263
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

As long as we're on the body topic, here's one more trivial matter to nitpick. My TC3 has a longer wheel base than the cars the HPI bodies are designed for. It can be anywhere from 3 to 5 millimeters longer depending on rear toe and spacers. If I cut the wheels on the trim lines, the body doesn't fit my car. I typically line up the front wheels with the molded lines and then move the back wheel well to line up with my tires. I don't change the size or shape, just shift the whole thing to fit. On the McAllister Mustang body, the wheel wells are only guides as stated right on the packaging and are too small to fit any car properly. On the Parma Mustang, if you cut out on the lines, you'll have wheel wells that are about twice as big as they need to be and look horribly out of scale.

My point is that drivers need to be reasonable here with the bodies and don't do anything crazy, but keep things within the "spirit" of the class. And race directors already have the flexibility to say, "that's okay" or "no you can't do that." The only other way to address all these little details is to have a 100+ page rule book that covers every variable of every body. That's just silly.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #1264
Tech Champion

all my TC3's...
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-thunder-jam-2009-001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscf2539.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-music-city-championship-003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-68-chevy-camaro...usvta-2008.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-wednesday-night-ta-051.jpg  

January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #1265
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
all my TC3's...

The batmobile is the best one
Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #1266
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Like I said before...
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #1267
Tech Addict

If your local race director says "you can't do that" you race and you fix it later because it doesn't really matter. I think we're all fine with that. Who cares? It's just racing amoung friends at a local track.

But, if you are prepping for a national event and trying to get every .1s and 1g advantage then rule interpretation matters. Especially when different locations obviously interpret the rules differently. If, after you've prepped, paid, travelled and made the commitment, the national event race director says "you can't do that" it's not a trivial matter. So, yes, the details in the rules matter.

It comes down to all the bodies have pros and cons. If you can ignore a rule to remove a con from a body that changes the balance. Everyone has a body they believe, for whatever reason, is "the best." Brand allegience, convenience, cost, etc. all play into this. HPI 68 Camaro's don't have wheel to wheel chin spoilers, HPI 70 Boss Mustangs do. The AMC's front bumper is a separate part while the other 2 part bodies are all rear bumpers. Parma bodies have huge wheel wells. But, picking and choosing where to enforce the rules and which rule deviations are OK and which aren't is what causes these discussions.

Body wheelbase vs chassis is an legitmate issue. Some chassis can adjust their wheel base up to 1cm, others can't. I know that adjusting wheelbase has performance implications. So, if I adjust the body to fit a better chassis configuration by ignoring the cut lines then that gives me a performance advantage over someone who is adjusting the chassis to fit the body without regard to the performance implication. In my mind the only place you should deviate from the cut lines is to make the body fit your chassis, but only afer you've adjusted your chassis to best fit your choosen body -- i.e., you should try to use the cutlines as much as possible -- that's the "spirit of VTA" to me. But, I'm pretty sure there are people out there who would disagree with me.

If making the chin spoiler go from wheel to wheel has been "OK forever" than put it in the rules. Darkside's suggested change is pretty close, but still has some loop holes IMHO.

When these discussions come up (and them coming up is a good thing, as it means people care) there should almost always be something added to the rules. A sentence, a paragraph, an addendum, a picture of what is OK and what isn't, something -- even if it's just back story and rational for why the rules is as it stands.

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #1268
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
all my TC3's...
thay look good i hope to give a lil bumper to each of them lmao
is it sunday yet i just wanna go racing allready
Old 07-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #1269
Suspended

Thumbs up roflmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Like I said before...
love it

I got one for ya
do any of the nit pickers actually race or just
come on hear to stir the s#!t pot and run their
mouths

was just wondering cause i know a bunch of "posers"
that talk all kinds of crap. but i have never seen them at any races
or when i have they were just watching

Last edited by rcpaintinpete; 07-11-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: cause my spelling sucks
rcpaintinpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #1270
Tech Addict

Default I've got some voodoo for that...

I've got some voodoo for that... spoiler

3 overlapping layers of fiber glass and fiber glass drywall tape + 6 skins of Shoe Goo = downforce & strength = problem solved

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn4327.jpg
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #1271
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete View Post
love it

I got one for ya
do any of the nit pickers actually race or just
come on hear to stir the s#!t pot and run their
mouths

was just wondering cause i know a bunch of "posers"
that talk all kinds of crap. but i have never seen them at any races
or when i have they were just watching
I know what you mean. The guys at my local track who show up with Big-Ol-Wings mounted on their VTA cars (and justify it by saying "the wing came with the body kit") absolutely refuse to remove the wing because "it will ruin the looks of the car".

Well as it turns out, when they have their car in the race, their car spends more time perpendicular to the flow of traffic and/or upside down in the middle of traffic. Usually by the end of the race their fancy wings have been removed due to multiple impacts from other cars that sent their VTA "Helicoptering" over the boards.

So yeah, those guys who spend more time trying to make their car "Aerodynamically Superior" over other cars in the race usually spent very little time actually driving the car and figuring out why they cannot turn.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #1272
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
I know what you mean. The guys at my local track who show up with Big-Ol-Wings mounted on their VTA cars (and justify it by saying "the wing came with the body kit") absolutely refuse to remove the wing because "it will ruin the looks of the car".

Well as it turns out, when they have their car in the race, their car spends more time perpendicular to the flow of traffic and/or upside down in the middle of traffic. Usually by the end of the race their fancy wings have been removed due to multiple impacts from other cars that sent their VTA "Helicoptering" over the boards.

So yeah, those guys who spend more time trying to make their car "Aerodynamically Superior" over other cars in the race usually spent very little time actually driving the car and figuring out why they cannot turn.
ROFLMFAOYUUUUP
Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #1273
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm seriously thinking of getting myself and my son a couple of VTA rides setup since KRaceway here in Kissimmee is so close to my home.

OK, enough blathering on and on to my questions...

Since the spirit of this class is budget racing, what are the disadvantages of us running older chassis (TC-3's)? Would we be really hampered by the higher weight of those older cars due to the low power of the 25.5 motors?
Rule #1: It's ALWAYS Loaded. 2: Do Not Point It At Something Unless You Mean To Destroy It. 3: On Target, On Trigger. Off Target, Off Trigger. 4: Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Behind It.
Catfish12c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #1274
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish12c View Post
I'm seriously thinking of getting myself and my son a couple of VTA rides setup since KRaceway here in Kissimmee is so close to my home.

OK, enough blathering on and on to my questions...

Since the spirit of this class is budget racing, what are the disadvantages of us running older chassis (TC-3's)? Would we be really hampered by the higher weight of those older cars due to the low power of the 25.5 motors?
cat we will be at the kissimmee track this sunday stop by i will have my kid with his car
and you can both try them out hows that
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #1275
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
all my TC3's...
Not to this Guy !! I've heard he does pretty well and most consider him a fairly good racer. (Sorry Myron....don't usually get to take potshots at you but it was just to tempting)
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote