Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM
Petie - so the guy who has won every single VTA race you have ever entered (except one due to rainout on day 2) and also recently went over to the carpet track in Plant City and laid the smack down on all of them....drives a what? 68' Camaro.....

And once a little more rust is shaken from my off from my temporary retirement - you'll be chasing another 68' Camaro as it keeps getting closer every time out. LMAO
the guys name is dave franklin and he can drive anything.bring that 68 maro to plant city make sure its bullet proof
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
the #42 camaro pic above: is the way the front spoiler cut legal? Mine would last longer if I cut it like that.
Yes that's fine and it does help the spoiler to last longer.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

the #42 camaro pic above: is the way the front spoiler cut legal? Mine would last longer if I cut it like that.

I am not sure that it is technically legal but most of the bodies I have seen are cut this way, Cameros, mustangs, etc... I am not sure that it would make the air dam last longer. My other Camero body still has the spoiler in tact with no signs of wear.

The reason I did it was to leave a little bit more meat in the front corners of the body. The only place my old body shows any wear is on the from corners beside the headlights. It is torn all the way up on both sides. Hopefully this will provide a little resistance to tearing.

It would interesting to get a ruling on it though, as most of the bodies at our track and the ones I see posted here are cut that way, even though the rules state that it must be cut on the body lines, and this is not.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello all,

after some hiatus from radio control, i am considering a relapse. this would be my second relapse actually.

Now, for the first time ever, i live near a carpet track. Upon visiting this track I discovered vta. I said what the hell is that. Then a series of rules were explained that halfway made sense.

1. the driver in the car-- spirit or not, they are dinky imho

2. motor/esc -- Novak only? why not regulate the turns/kv rating-- not the brand. without competition we will forever be stuck paying whatever novak says we will to run VTA class? thats sucky

3. wheels and tires -- HPI only? I just dont get this brand limiting. I understand that the rule was put in place to even the playing field. that said, why would any company produce competitive products if hpi has the whole class on lock via THE RULEBOOK. That cant be good for the industry or growth of the class?

4. Bodies -- about 4 choices? cool.

All that said, this class sounds really fun and competitive, it just irks me to be forced into a brand and not a style/format, you know? the novak setup is like 150-175$-- a hobbywing setup is practially half that and could double the speed of the same chassis. it just bothers me. spend more money to go slower to be competitive. just feels like backwards logic.
Are people happy with these rules? I was told it was a budget class, but seeing as how (unless you buy a sprint2) you are looking at 250$ish to convert any old TC to VTA regulation, it seems to be expensive enough.
Convince me otherwise, cause i wanna race!

ps they race vta and a gt class at this track (hotshots rc Marietta GA)
and i am most likely getting a TA-05 regardless of class.

thanks for any perspectives, comments, or input.

-Scott
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's often permitted since it helps so much in durability. Sometimes we will leave the part thats not supposed to be there clear. That helps it keep with the original look.

Originally Posted by KoolRC
the guys name is dave franklin and he can drive anything.bring that 68 maro to plant city make sure its bullet proof
Now that is some grade A smack talk right there. Are you guys coming to the Nats in September? I want to see you hash it out.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott.wilson
Hello all,

after some hiatus from radio control, i am considering a relapse. this would be my second relapse actually.

Now, for the first time ever, i live near a carpet track. Upon visiting this track I discovered vta. I said what the hell is that. Then a series of rules were explained that halfway made sense.

2. motor/esc -- Novak only? why not regulate the turns/kv rating-- not the brand. without competition we will forever be stuck paying whatever novak says we will to run VTA class? thats sucky

3. wheels and tires -- HPI only? I just dont get this brand limiting. I understand that the rule was put in place to even the playing field. that said, why would any company produce competitive products if hpi has the whole class on lock via THE RULEBOOK. That cant be good for the industry or growth of the class?

All that said, this class sounds really fun and competitive, it just irks me to be forced into a brand and not a style/format, you know? the novak setup is like 150-175$-- a hobbywing setup is practially half that and could double the speed of the same chassis. it just bothers me. spend more money to go slower to be competitive. just feels like backwards logic.
Are people happy with these rules? I was told it was a budget class, but seeing as how (unless you buy a sprint2) you are looking at 250$ish to convert any old TC to VTA regulation, it seems to be expensive enough.

-Scott

Scott, you've basically outlines all of the ongoing arguments on this thread, and the original VTA thread

The long and the short of it is.... "thems be the rules, mate". It is what it is. Everyone new to VTA has these same concerns (oh wait you didn't mention the maH limit! heh heh - you missed an argument) and has to get over this hump of just accepting them, and playing the game. It's just the way it is. I'm not saying your arguments are without merit. I argued the same things myself when I got started. The rules aren't going to budge though. Just layin it out there for you. Oh, and it's not a budget class. Whoever told you that is lying. I suppose you can use an old used 4wd touring car and save some bucks there, but you'll have to buy so much new stuff you won't really notice. Yes, it's true, you will be paying more to go slower!! what you get in return though is a super strong community, really close racing, you get that "fun" factor back that a lot of other classes have lost, and you get a renewed focus on car setup and driving ability - since they matter so much more in this class. Those are big wins in my book, and a fair trade off for the slowed speed.

Trust me, once you start running you'll have a blast. It's a hurdle everyone (myself included, who had to replace a perfectly good speed control and battery pack to be able to "play") encounters when getting started. It's just the way this class is. Just know that you'll have some fun once you get up and rollin. Give it a shot. You're going to have a great time!

P.S. - good call on the TA-05!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello all,

. . . . . . .

-Scott
VTA is by far the most popular class at our local track.
It is a fun class with close competition and cool looking cars.

As far as the electronics, there are ESCs that are approved from Novak, LRP, and Speed Passion.

The tires are HPI only, because HPI is the only company that has a vintage looking tire.

While the bodies are primarily Camaros, Mustangs, and Cuda, there are lot of them to choose from.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hello all,

-Scott
SCOTT let me tell you i had all the same problems
but let me put it like this
ITS A LEAP OF FAITH MY FRIEND
just do it and the fun factor overrides any problem IMHO
that is the best way i can put it
I am in no way a newbie and i think im a pretty dam good driver
i have had factory sponsership in nitro and electric
took some much needed time away from the hobbie
got back in because of the vta class and its a blast
pm me if you wanna talk about it
Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up body choice

and as far as the bodies go both scott and myself are all over franklins a$$
i just wanted some info about lap times and setup
and i was asking cause im not gonna let a body hold me back in any class
yes i can drive the dam wheels of it not hitting any thing at ALL
just a body question guys
do any of you have hard data on bodies
if not i will get some at KISSIMMEE this sunday and will
be more then happy to pass it on
Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hello all,

-Scott
hey Scott...you have a great group in GA with Hotshots...Ive been there and they come here...all the answers are there in the post...feel free to call me anytime for any questions...

Myron Kinnard
615-851-1876
Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Convince me otherwise ...

Recently, I raced the "Asphalt Assault" race series around Chicago. The A main had 8 entries, 7 out of 8 cars finished on the same lap within approx 10 seconds from 1st to 7th ( the 8 car ate his spur gear in the warmup laps and didn't start the race ). I personally finished 7th, last in the race, but it was THE BEST 8 minutes of racing I ever had !!

Results can be seen in - Wisconsin/Illinois racing, Asphalt Assault 2012.

Join the ranks of USVTA !! you won't be disappointed !!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That is totally legal. We found out a couple weeks in from the very beginning leaving the spoiler like that keeps it from being destroyed instantly.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hello all,

1. the driver in the car-- spirit or not, they are dinky imho You need to add so much weight to most tcs to meet the minimum so I find it doesn't hurt, and you can reuse them .

2. motor/esc -- Novak only? why not regulate the turns/kv rating-- not the brand. without competition we will forever be stuck paying whatever novak says we will to run VTA class? thats suckyIt's who supports the class very few other escs meet the requirements. Speed passion also has two escs that qualify and one was just on sale for $50 (citrix stock club) on sp's site.

3. wheels and tires -- HPI only? I just dont get this brand limiting. I understand that the rule was put in place to even the playing field. that said, why would any company produce competitive products if hpi has the whole class on lock via THE RULEBOOK. That cant be good for the industry or growth of the class? Once again it's who supported the class early.

4. Bodies -- about 4 choices? cool. Way more than 4 bodies to choose from 4 mustangs, 3 camaros, 2 cudas, challenger, and javalin.

Convince me otherwise, cause i wanna race!You can get the VTA stuff $200. $50 wheels/tires, $25 body, $127 motor esc/motor combo from novak direct

and i am most likely getting a TA-05 regardless of class.A Tamiya might be a bit fragile for VTA. Is there local parts support for Tamiya?

-Scott
Check out the USVTA site for full rules set. http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

My opinions are in red above.

Personally I haven't been able to run for a bit but it's a great class at Hotshot's; you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Initiate

wow guys. abundant replies, thanks.

Them's the rules huh? i figured as much, but that doesn't mean i cant gripe a bit before i conform!

seriously though, i am gonna fight the driver rule tooth-and-nail. "the spirit of vta"... ha i could imagine those drivers going "no, that little fake driver is lame"

mamba rc18t for sale/trade for hpi vintage wheels/tires

Thanks again everyone for the responses.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcgerber
Check out the USVTA site for full rules set.

My opinions are in red above.

Personally I haven't been able to run for a bit but it's a great class at Hotshot's; you won't be disappointed.
thanks man, legitimate rebuttals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.