Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Actually their Charger wouldn't make a good VTA car. At 185mm width, the rear tires wouldn't fit under the car. Questionable whether the fronts would even work.
A perfect car for Tamiya touring car chassis though.
Kamtec might be another possible source. Since they're overseas, the laws may make things easier ....or harder. Worth talking to them. www.kamtec.co.uk
Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes it's definitely too narrow for most touring cars in VTA trim. However there are narrowing kits for some Tamiya and Yokomo drift cars that might be enough to make it work.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Questions?? Body change

Ok so I have a question for those of you that actually race your VTA
Cars

I have been using the j71 body for a long time now very strong
Body 1 body has lasted for a ton of races started using it in January
And still has some time left on it
I have noticed the hpi CAMARO is a bit thicker now and will probley
Last long as well and it seems to be a bit shorter and lower then the j71
Have any of you tried these bodies back to back and seen any
Change in lap times or in the way the car reacts to body change
With a good chassie setup
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
Cars

I can comment on the speed of the body but I can attest to it's durability. I just recently replaced my first VTA body. It was a 68 Camero. I used it for about a year and I could probably use it for another year. The front has been repaired with Shoo Goo and that is about it as far as damage goes. The front air dam is still 100% attached, which is more than I can say about half of the other cars at our track. I hit the walls with it, not as much as I used to though. It is a pretty tough car.

On my new body, I raised it up a mounting position on the body posts. Seems to sit better on the chassis and give it a more scale look. I could go lower and still make the 5mm height requirement, but, it looks so darn cool!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Very nice paint job
I just slobbered all over my iPad lol

Thank you
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks Pete, I sent you a pm about the masks. Here is a shot from the rear.

Check out the VTA paint thread if you haven't, there are a lot of great bodies there as well. Wish I could make it to the Nats, gotta gig that weekend. Not sure how beautiful the body will be by then though. I managed to keep it blemish free for almost two race days already. Only one little scuff in one of the headlight decals. I managed to only tag one corner the entire night, never hit anything else. Pretty proud of the driving that night. Even managed a win in the A-Main!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Cars

I've done this precise test at the Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet, IL, home of the 2012 ROAR paved on-road championship in August that I plan on running. This track has a 225' straight away and with the right gearing you get some pretty good speed up for VTA. I was testing 3 bodies actually, the HPI 68 Camaro, the Protoform J71 and the McAllister 69 Mustang. I'm not sure what it is about the Camaro, but I don't like it as much as the other two. It might be my own personal bias, but it just feels less stable to me. I think it may have something to do with keeping the scale appearance to the windshield so the angle is pretty steep. Both the McAllister and Protoform bodies are smoother, more rounded with softer angles to the windshield which I think stabilizes the car and sends more downforce toward the rear. My lap times were the most consistent with the McAllister but I hit my best lap time with the J71. We're talking a 22.0 lap for the J71 vs. a 22.1 for the Mustang. I've been running the McAllister because I like it's very neutral feel better than the rest, but I've run all three bodies on shorter parking lot tracks and really can't tell any difference. Of course, these are just my opinions and your results may vary.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Cars

Learn to drive, body does not matter!

At least that was the answer I got when I asked about bodies in the last VTA thread...

I have run the J71, 68 Camaro, and 70 Boss Mustang. All of it has been indoor carpet, smaller tracks. From a durability perspective, the 1 piece Camaro is nice, but since the body itself is smaller with less clearance, you cannot do as much reinforcement to it. While I think the body is quick, I find with the soft suspension settings I run, I cannot have the body at the right ride height without tire rub, especially in the front fenders. The J71 and Mustang both have a lot more room, and will handle car to car contact better (the tires sit farther inside the wheel wells). The Mustang is my current body, and it feels really stable and smooth. The Camaro always feels a little more edgy. The J71 is somewhat inbetween. My biggest negative to the J71 is that the frotn bumper is pretty squared off. If you end up pointed into a wall, you are pretty much stuck. The Mustang nose is pointed, and unless you are fully 90* to the wall, you can usually turn yourself clear. For whatever reason, the Mustang rear end stays more planted for me without overworking the rear tires.

On a small indoor track with clean drivers, I would take the J71. With unknown or less courteous drivers I would take the Mustang. The wheel rub on the Camaro just makes it iffy for me. Of course I have one painted and ready to go, but still using my Mustang. The Camaro has shoegoo in the bumpers only. The Mustang has shoegoo and drywall tape in the bumpers and reinforcement in the front wheel wells.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I honestly don't notice much difference, other than durability. You see a lot of Camaros and Pegasus Mustangs since they are one piece and last a long time.

Edit: BTW i have been stomped out multiple times by drivers with the Parma Cuda, which is a shoebox with wheel wells.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Cars

Petie - so the guy who has won every single VTA race you have ever entered (except one due to rainout on day 2) and also recently went over to the carpet track in Plant City and laid the smack down on all of them....drives a what? 68' Camaro.....

And once a little more rust is shaken from my off from my temporary retirement - you'll be chasing another 68' Camaro as it keeps getting closer every time out. LMAO
Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
i have been stomped out multiple times by drivers with the Parma Cuda, which is a shoebox with wheel wells.
Stomped out. I'm saving that one for later. I've been stomped out by everything but a parma cuda, but thats just because they dont run those down here. Maybe someone can bring one to the nats and then my life will be fulfilled.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't think that the body makes any difference in performance in VTA. I bet the guy who won every race with a '68 Camaro body would have also won every race with a '70 Mustang body. I have been told that the reason for the popularity of the '68 Camaro body is because it is one piece. Some people think that adding on a rear or front piece to the body is a nuisance. As far as durability, I ran an HPI Cuda body for 15 months.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwkride
I don't think that the body makes any difference in performance in VTA. I bet the guy who won every race with a '68 Camaro body would have also won every race with '70 Mustang body. I have been told that the reason for the popularity of the '68 Camaro body is because it is one piece. Some people think that adding on a rear or front piece to the body is a nuisance. As far as durability, I ran an HPI Cuda body for 15 months.
You're absolutely right - Pete knows I was just "getting his goat". This class is more about chassis and driving

Last edited by ASM; 07-10-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I honestly don't notice much difference, other than durability. You see a lot of Camaros and Pegasus Mustangs since they are one piece and last a long time.

Edit: BTW i have been stomped out multiple times by drivers with the Parma Cuda, which is a shoebox with wheel wells.
I ran the Parma Mustang for a while, it was a brick. It was also a full 3 inches longer then my previous HPI Mustang body. The nice thing is since the chassis was so far inside, running a little heavier weight, no one could boot me around the track.

Gosh it was ugly though...

I was sold on 1-piece bodies until everyone started reinforcing them with shoe goo and drywall tape. Now it does not really matter, as you can make anything last. The walls at our LHS are pretty unforgiving and even the worst drivers will get at least 2, 8 week series out of a body.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

the #42 camaro pic above: is the way the front spoiler cut legal? Mine would last longer if I cut it like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.