R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree502Likes

Old 10-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #10891
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Oh thatís right. Itís up to the race director if saucing is allowed and itís not at my track. Itís funny tho that saucing actually makes traction worse. But softening before hand works wonders.
Are you running on older asphalt that is not sealcoated ?
Lone Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #10892
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I expect that there will be a "sunset" date for the HPI tires when they will no longer be legal for sanctioned USVTA racing.
I'd like to hope that's not the case, after all, the Novak 25.5 is still legal. Hopefully, the same approach will be used. The phasing out of the HPI tires will happen naturally at some point anyhow.
DARKSIDE likes this.

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #10893
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Drifter View Post
Are you running on older asphalt that is not sealcoated ?
Josh races on both sealed and non sealed asphalt.

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #10894
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
Josh races on both sealed and non sealed asphalt.
Sometimes Ive noticed that with the HPI tires that on worn out gray asphalt the would work without traction compound , I would like to Know if the PF worked better on the worn out or sealed asphalt ?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #10895
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM View Post
I'd like to hope that's not the case, after all, the Novak 25.5 is still legal. Hopefully, the same approach will be used. The phasing out of the HPI tires will happen naturally at some point anyhow.
considering both are legal right now. I would think they would remain that way until they are all gone as well.

if anything 1 year would be plenty of notice....but I would rather let them naturally fade out
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-20170908_084623_resized.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-20170908_084320_resized.jpg  
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #10896
ASM
Tech Master

Just ordered my first set of premounts for an upcoming race on the black carpet. Gonna be great to skip to gluing!!
NutDriver and RotorTruck like this.

USVTA Member #116
Old 10-18-2017, 06:14 AM   #10897
Tech Fanatic

I didn't see this posted and if it is sorry. The new PF tires and rims are almost 4g lighter per assembly. That is a 16g weight reduction on the car and it is rotating mass. Another ++.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #10898
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
wanted to pass some information to the #USVTANation

be advised that you will need to add weight to your VTA car if you are running ALL PF tires/rims

its around 24 grams difference in weight. So if you are swapping your tires/rims around...you will need to check your weight to be legal

pics below
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
cont
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #10899
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I went from the Mcalister 69 Mustang to the Mcalister Pontiac Trans-Am body and to the new R1 batteries. Had to add 35g to the car. So now between that and the new PF wheel/tire combo, I’ve had to find where to put an additional 60g on the car. I now have 110g of added weight to the car.

Does anyone make brass hinge pin carriers for the tc7?

Edit. Found some...

http://www.fastraceshop.com/prodotto.php?pr_id=36208
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #10900
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I went from the Mcalister 69 Mustang to the Mcalister Pontiac Trans-Am body and to the new R1 batteries. Had to add 35g to the car. So now between that and the new PF wheel/tire combo, Iíve had to find where to put an additional 60g on the car. I now have 110g of added weight to the car.

Does anyone make brass hinge pin carriers for the tc7?

Edit. Found some...

Fast Race | Categoria / FR31618BR Fast Race Brass Outer Arm Mount Associated TC7 (2)
Do you have a Metal chassis or a carbon chassis?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #10901
Tech Elite

Right now carbon as I’m running outdoors / low grip carpet. But even with the associated aluminum chassis, it’s only 20g heavier.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #10902
Tech Elite

Well, I’ve now experienced it myself. The PF tires are a bit of a handfulll on asphalt. While I was able to set fast lap and TQ in the third qualifier at the inaugural I-20 super speedway electric on road showdown, I ran a worn set of HPI’s in the main and set a new fast lap by .5 seconds and got an extra lap in.

I tried several configurations of tire sauce, tire warmers, and belt dressing to get the PF tires to work. This is even after a hefty heat cycle and saucing routine at the house before I left.

In the end I used a heavy coating of traction compound, let dry, then a coating of belt dressing to work the best. The tires came in after a few warm up laps but still required an easy trigger finger to keep from drifting out.

I think these tires will do fine if we can come up with a way to soften them up. Maybe a set ran for a full indoor season will make a good set for the next outdoor season.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #10903
ASM
Tech Master

Quote:
Well, Iíve now experienced it myself. The PF tires are a bit of a handfulll on asphalt. While I was able to set fast lap and TQ in the third qualifier at the inaugural I-20 super speedway electric on road showdown, I ran a worn set of HPIís in the main and set a new fast lap by .5 seconds and got an extra lap in.

I tried several configurations of tire sauce, tire warmers, and belt dressing to get the PF tires to work. This is even after a hefty heat cycle and saucing routine at the house before I left.

In the end I used a heavy coating of traction compound, let dry, then a coating of belt dressing to work the best. The tires came in after a few warm up laps but still required an easy trigger finger to keep from drifting out.

I think these tires will do fine if we can come up with a way to soften them up. Maybe a set ran for a full indoor season will make a good set for the next outdoor season.
Thanks for the information on what you're seeing. Much of this may translate for me as my local track is low to med grip asphalt as well. What springs are you running on your car? Thanks!

USVTA Member #116
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #10904
Tech Elite

In USGT I ran the PSD shock inserts with 27.5 fluid f/r and grey springs f/r

In USVTA I ran the 4hole 1.1 pistons with 27.5 front and 25 rear and white springs all around. I also ran lightest away bars and a considerable amount of droop to allow the car to roll as much as possible.

I’m getting another set of the psd inserts to run in the VTA car. I liked the way the made the USGT car feel over the VTA.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #10905
Tech Addict

Quote:
Well, Iíve now experienced it myself. The PF tires are a bit of a handfulll on asphalt. While I was able to set fast lap and TQ in the third qualifier at the inaugural I-20 super speedway electric on road showdown, I ran a worn set of HPIís in the main and set a new fast lap by .5 seconds and got an extra lap in.

That was my point earlier were it seem we should have a asphalt compound tire for VTA.
The PF tires are made for black carpet, do you guys think racers want to do all that just to get tires to work a little .

A lot of the New and less Active out door VTA racers may not want to do all that work.
( I dont either). The GT tires work indoor and outdoor just break them in and sauce them up.
If the PF tires are that hard to break in for outdoors , Ill just switch my first class to GT ( its 2nd choice now). Ill look for a new second class maybe F1