R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #91
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I hope the club is approved soon. Sounds like a great way to get started. We had some guys get the vented endbells only to find out later they weren't legal. Don't want that to happen with an esc just in case.
I think even Robk is not expecting any problems with it being on the list, but I would wait until he clears it before I dropped perfectly good money on it.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #92
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I think even Robk is not expecting any problems with it being on the list, but I would wait until he clears it before I dropped perfectly good money on it.
the GTB2 part numbers also has to get revised - as the GTB2 w/x-drive is the only version available now...the other numbers are slowly starting to show as out of stock or discontinued...

and the best/worse part - you can't tell a GTB2 w/x-drive from one that don't have x-drive
Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #93
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
the GTB2 part numbers also has to get revised - as the GTB2 w/x-drive is the only version available now...the other numbers are slowly starting to show as out of stock or discontinued...

and the best/worse part - you can't tell a GTB2 w/x-drive from one that don't have x-drive
I don't think the x drive is going to be legal. We discussed it near the end of the last thread. The only currently produced legal novak esc is the edge.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #94
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
I don't think the x drive is going to be legal. We discussed it near the end of the last thread. The only currently produced legal novak esc is the edge.
well if that's the case - there's gonna be a lot of pissed off people, BECAUSE all the GTB2's will need to made illegal ... since you cannot tell then apart, aside from the box that the esc comes in

and I don't recall that being the way the class was going - the GTB2 is still in production, so there's some decision that has to be made - or else this is gonna turn into a speedo of the month class ... I already have a legal GTB2, so now to be legal, you're saying that I'd have to replace it?? I realize you DON'T talk for rob, but that's kinda dumb to make people change again...
Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #95
Tech Champion

the Xdrive will more than likely be on the list...as well as ROAR....I dont see that much difference other than "FEEL"...and smooth throttle....just be cool guys...and lets finish testing...

BTW...the GTB2 w/ X-drive is a great product...
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #96
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
the Xdrive will more than likely be on the list...as well as ROAR....I dont see that much difference other than "FEEL"...and smooth throttle....just be cool guys...and lets finish testing...

BTW...the GTB2 w/ X-drive is a great product...
agreed - and I wasn't the biggest Novak fan in the world, the GTB2 sold me 'orange' powered cars

can't wait to give my x-drive GTB2 a whirl in my GT1/RCGT/USGT ride this summer
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #97
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
well if that's the case - there's gonna be a lot of pissed off people, BECAUSE all the GTB2's will need to made illegal ... since you cannot tell then apart, aside from the box that the esc comes in

and I don't recall that being the way the class was going - the GTB2 is still in production, so there's some decision that has to be made - or else this is gonna turn into a speedo of the month class ... I already have a legal GTB2, so now to be legal, you're saying that I'd have to replace it?? I realize you DON'T talk for rob, but that's kinda dumb to make people change again...
Clam down and read my post again. X DRIVE is not CURRENTLY legal. I never said you have to replace your legal gtb 2.

The ONLY CURRENTLY PRODUCED legal Novak esc is the edge. Havoc, standard gtb 2 etc are not currently in production. Other escs are still pending approval.

You're right I don't talk for Rob but I can read the rules and the part numbers that are listed as CURRENTLY legal. Any future decisions belong to Rob. I NEVER claimed to make any of the rules and I NEVER wanted to. I read the rules, try to stay up to date, and pass on what I have read and heard so others don't waste money on something that is not legal such as the vented endbells, cobalt rotor, and the x drive. If these things become legal tomorrow then great but right noew they are a waste of money if you are trying to be vta rules complient.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #98
Tech Champion

I'm well aware the x-drive is not currently approved - however, I was making a statement that the GTB2's will need to be addressed, since you cannot tell a x-drive from a non-x-drive GTB2... I own both and the x-drive one will be in my TCS ride, since Tamiya IS allowing that in there series.

furthermore, if the x-drive one ain't approved, then ALL GTB2's will need to be removed since you cannot tell one from the other... never said that you said my GTB2 would have to be replaced - so you misread what I typed as well

my car is 100% USVTA legal as is - I'm merely mentioning the x-drive to save race/class directors, like myself, some headache once the respective racing seasons kick off...
Old 03-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #99
Tech Champion

I have NO authority in the USVTA ranks, but I am anticipating the club and the GTB2 x drive to be approved. There might be a hitch but I really dont expect that.

But it would be bad if you have something out there that fits into a GTB2 case and is not legal. I do see that as a real problem. It might be an imaginary problem if the thing doesnt give you any advantage aside from being smooth. Smooth is not quite as important on Asphalt and carpet as it is on loamy dirt. Still love this class. This class made me unhate touring.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Question on the Legality of NOVAK w/ X-DRIVE (No Timing) ESC's

What or Who are we waiting on for them to be Legal in USVTA?

Are you waiting for R.O.A.R. to legalize them, or just not fully tested to legalize for VTA?

(I HOPE it's not due to Waiting for R.O.A.R.!! )
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #101
Tech Champion

Not sure what he does, but I imagine he has it in a car and makes laps compared to a field of known legal cars under the same parameters. Again its just a guess.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #102
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Not sure what he does, but I imagine he has it in a car and makes laps compared to a field of known legal cars under the same parameters. Again its just a guess.
Testing usually is taking a car that has the legal setup run some las o get a baseline. Then only change the esc, absolutely no other changes to the car, and run some more laps and compare the lap times. Usually it is done in several different drivers cars to get many driving style to compare. That is just part of the testing.
2012 TCS Race #170 "The Track" @ Harbor Hobby Best of Show Mini Pro
f1larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #103
Tech Champion

it takes time guys...keep in mind that the ppl doing the testing, have other things in life going on...work, family, social, ect....also there isnt a check...lol..

and also keep in mind the worst thing to do is to rush and approve something and it come back and bite us in the rear later...or our wallets...we want to make sure the US VTA makes the best decision for the US VTA Racers...
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
it takes time guys...keep in mind that the ppl doing the testing, have other things in life going on...work, family, social, ect....also there isnt a check...lol..
Yeah right.....no check pshhh

We all know you get paid the big bucks to play with toy cars
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #105
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
Yeah right.....no check pshhh

We all know you get paid the big bucks to play with toy cars

Using the enlarge funcion on the copier????>>.........
alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote