R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #946
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here's the link to our track thread: Parking Lot Racing in Flushing Michigan (Genesee County)
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #947
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4fun View Post
Hey guys,

I'm getting into VTA this fall for the 1st time (TC3 Chassis) and I understand that the Brushless motor that is used (according to the rules) isn't a 21.5 but a 25.5. What Manufacturer is recommended to buy this motor from? What choices do I have here? Thanks in advance for your help.
By the way, I'm modifying the motor mount area on the TC3 to accept more gearing choices. I'll share with pics when completed.
Here is the link to the rules page...

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules

On the TC3, if you stay with a 64 pitch spur gear that is 78 teeth or smaller, you won't have to do much modification to the motor mount. The main place that is a concern is the webbing directly underneath the pinion gear. That will have to be taken down a bit to allow for bigger pinions.
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #948
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrake19 View Post
The 1257 is super speed and the 1258 is high speed. The only reason I kno that is BC I'm running the 1258 on my B4.1 Worlds buggy since it has a little more torque. I almost got the 1251 but the 1257 was only $7 more and is a titanium gear servo.

I ended up ordering 64 pitch gearing. Thank you for the tire gluing tips!!

Anyone else think its funny how many letters and numbers we say when were talking RC? LOL
Maybe i was thinking 1267? I get so confused. You may want to pick up the capacitor that many make though, as I know several who have had glitching issues with the Savox servos at full lock. Seems hit or miss, but the capacitor will pretty much guarantee you have no issues. I think the Edge is more sensitive to the voltage requirements from the Savox as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4fun View Post
Hey guys,

I'm getting into VTA this fall for the 1st time (TC3 Chassis) and I understand that the Brushless motor that is used (according to the rules) isn't a 21.5 but a 25.5. What Manufacturer is recommended to buy this motor from? What choices do I have here? Thanks in advance for your help.
By the way, I'm modifying the motor mount area on the TC3 to accept more gearing choices. I'll share with pics when completed.
If you do not have the ESC or motor, there are some combos that are very reasonable. Motor is limited to Novak 25.5, SS or Ballistic, pretty much no modifications (vented end bells, fancy rotor, etc).

Depending on what gears you are running, you either need to grind the little support away to allow for bigger pinions, but you may also need to grind on the motor cam and clamp to allow more adjustment (usually when running a smaller spur).

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #949
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
Here is the link to the rules page...

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules

On the TC3, if you stay with a 64 pitch spur gear that is 78 teeth or smaller, you won't have to do much modification to the motor mount. The main place that is a concern is the webbing directly underneath the pinion gear. That will have to be taken down a bit to allow for bigger pinions.
Hehe i found the opposite, as I went to a smaller spur (68 tooth), that is when I had to grind the mount in order to get the motor adjustment close enough to mesh.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #950
Tech Regular

Appreciate all the advise and help everyone. You saved me time, money, and probably some headaches.
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #951
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think we should move things from the VTA woes thread back into the main channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
I dislike that people here always talk down to myself and others that question anything, or god forbid ask for help to go faster.
I dont think the problem is with people questioning things. Its certainly not with asking for help getting on pace. The problem is when people come in and beat the same dead rotting horse, over and over and over and over etc, without reading through the old thread. Somehow they think they can come up with a new argument that is going to make a difference. As soon as a person starts this everyone is already tired of it. Its all been done before.

I do regret that any one has ever snubbed you or talked down on you, but you cant let that eat you up. That is on them. To me there are so many good people at all of the tracks that I run at that if someone is not helpful or friendly, I wont even remember them. There is just too much positive energy to focus on to get bogged down by someone who is not interested in helping you out or building trackside friendships. NEXT!!!

Quote:
All of you who can run with Myron are skilled drivers (you have to be to run with him, as I believe Myron is a very good driver). Why when people ask for help, they get snubbed?
Regretful, but again I dont see this happening.

Quote:
This is supposed to be an entry level class according to half the people here.
The other half would say that it is not an entry level class. Its just slower than TC and corner speed is a bigger part of the game. You cant just out motor someone or play punch and brake. I will admit to you that the slower speeds over all make it more forgiving for a newer racer since the car has less tendency to splatter into multiple parts than it would in TC. Still if a racer comes in and is new, VTA is a less hostile environment to cut your teeth in than touring.

Quote:
Myron, just let me know if I am not welcome at the Southern Nats, as I am planning on coming (and making the best showing I can somewhere down in the D or E main).
Thats about how it panned for me last year so I guess I will see you in the D or E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytowin View Post
A good day of racing is when I don't have to replace broken parts, or wipe the tar stains off my roof.
If the other great things about VTA were gone, this alone would still be reason to run VTA. I dont love EVERYTHING about it, but this is the best class there is and USGT is next.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #952
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Anybody in need of a good deal on a body/tires and wheels ??
VTA J71 body/tires/wheels FS
Let me know via PM. Thanks !
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #953
Tech Champion

well how was your US VTA racing this weekend.....I would like to thank the new US VTA racers that have joined our class today....

looks like you guys are going to be fast and some good competition...

Thanks to Will,Eric, and Brent for coming from out of town to play on the Thunder Carpet...

I cant wait for the Enduro...if you are a fan of the VTA class...this is a race you will love...come check it out...even if you dont have a Team..plenty of ppl looking for teammates

http://www.nashrcracer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5939

Thunder RC/Darkside Presents
Thunder Quarter24
OFFICIAL US VTA ENDURO

Sunday June 24, 2012

Thunder RC Raceway
810 Cherokee Ave
Nashville,TN 37206
615-851-1876

track opens: 8am
concourse: 11am
driver meeting:11:30pm
qualifiers:12 noon
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-100_0531.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-p1010647.jpg  
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #954
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

We had a blast batman. See you soon
stro3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #955
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stro3579 View Post
We had a blast batman. See you soon
thanks for coming, I enjoy racing with you, you have proven my point about the US VTA class 3x's over, thanks....Thanks to Brent as well, Ill see you guys for the Enduro

Hey Robk, Ive got some info for you as well...YGPM, and some are going to like it, and some are not, lol
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #956
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Are "shorty" packs ok?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #957
Tech Champion

As long as they are at or under the 5000 mah mark I have seen nothing forbidding them.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #958
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Are "shorty" packs ok?
Shorty and saddle packs are legal. It is all about mah rating. As most people are forced to add weight to get to the 1550 minimum, going to a smaller pack is somewhat counterproductive, but if you can add the weight more to your preference, it could have benefits. I run a 5000mah pack primarily because it weighs more then the 4000 I was using, and I have to add less weight. I am light on the battery side as well, so the battery is actually a pretty good place to get the weight from.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #959
Tech Champion

Default LRP SPX Zero...

I want to thank the ppl at AE/LRP for the response about the growth of the US VTA class. The AE family is making moves to help with our class with the TC4 Club Racer as well as the Reedy Wolfpack 5000 25C lipo.

Since the AI esc is out of the loop, I have asked about a replacement, and Robk and I have discussed it behind closed doors to find alternative. But alot of things have been brought up about the LRP SPX Zero. And to be honest, they isnt a clear answer YET!...

It was said a type of "mis-print/translation" was in the manual....see for yourself...

http://webmail1.mail.aol.com/36210-1...X_Zero_ESC.pdf

But on another note ppl whom have used the esc have said it has boost as well, and that its not a good fit for the US VTA class.

So my deal is now to see whom has a SPX Zero and comment on yes it does have a profile for boost or it doesnt.

The US VTA makes sure we dot all our "I's" and cross all the "T's"...we dont want ppl buying something different that will not be allowed or come to find out its "illegal"....we try and catch all of the new stuff coming down the pipe and do whats best for the class as a whole...our loyalty is to the US VTA...and the racers that make the class.

so until we can completely clear up this situation and be completly certain that the LRP SPX Zero is a fit for the US VTA rules, it will not be added to the list.

Ive got one coming to do some testing as well as 2 others...I will pass the info I find to Robk and others so a decision can be made.

But like I said, if you have one and have some info, please pm me or call me..615-851-1876, love to know what you know

Thanks Myron Kinnard
Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #960
Tech Champion

Default Thanks again AE/Reedy/LRP

"No, the SPX Zero does not have modern-day “boost”. It does have power profiles so you can adjust how the speed is delivered but, this is not a “advance in timing” or “boost” it’s more of a internal throttle expo adjustment."

"The SPX zero is not a fixed zero timing SC it does have some boost profiles available.

LRP does not have a zero only SC available at this time."

"Yes The SPX zero has both no boost and boost. LRP does not have a zero only SC, yet."

let the testing begin...
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-30101_lg.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-736_sm.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-lrp80705_sm.jpg