R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #931
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jdrake19 Send a message via MSN to jdrake19

Really have the itch to buy or build a USVTA car even though I don't know of any VTA racing around here lol. What are the most popular cars running VTA? I've found a couple XRay T2 007s in the classifieds and they seem to be OK. Know of any used VTA cars for sale? Definitely want to be totally spec in case I travel to some tracks.
jdrake19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #932
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

most chassis are great for VTA...just make sure parts and setup help is there

The Memphis crew is running VTA...where in AR are you?
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #933
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrake19 View Post
Really have the itch to buy or build a USVTA car even though I don't know of any VTA racing around here lol. What are the most popular cars running VTA? I've found a couple XRay T2 007s in the classifieds and they seem to be OK. Know of any used VTA cars for sale? Definitely want to be totally spec in case I travel to some tracks.
I know several guys at my track (me included) that use an older Xray for vta. An associated tc3/4 are also very popular choices. My brother and I are about dead even in skill and lap times, and I drive a t2'07 and he uses either a tc4 or a t3'10.
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #934
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie85 View Post
Hey guys, I was looking at the Novak GTB2 w/ x-drive earlier today. Was wondering if anybody uses it in USVTA? I'm using the Edge 2s. Seems to be working great, just curious to see if the GTB2 x-drive is a better performing ESC?

I'd like to hear fellow USVTA racers opinions on this.

Thanks
I have one (GTB2 x-drive), haven't run it yet - basically because I haven't been out racing since the x-drive GTB2 became legal

if you look at the specs, they are both very similar - the GTB2 has a lower resistance and a higher amp rating on the BEC then the Edge

I was almost tempted to get an Edge because of the size and lack of real estate on my chassis...

the x-drive is just supposed to make the feel of the car smoother - since they are both 'blinky' speedos, they should perform almost 100% identical

Robk might be able to shed some info since I'm sure he's tested both
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #935
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
most chassis are great for VTA...just make sure parts and setup help is there

The Memphis crew is running VTA...where in AR are you?
Yeah I noticed your location and was hoping there was a Memphis crew. I'm in Searcy, about 2 hours from Memphis.

Glad to hear TC3/4 cars are good. Seems like this won't be as expensive as I expected! I'll continue my search for a good used set up.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #936
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I tried the X drive and did almost the exact same times as the regular escs (swapped them between batteries). We were testing since there was a concern the X drive would be "better". What it is is a smoother esc. I could tell the throttle pull was nicer. Otherwise, it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other....

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #937
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

3 VTA threads with good discussions ...cool
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #938
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
But, I honestly cant imagine really warming up any reasonably decent lipo in use for a VTA car. They just don't require that much power.

But hey.... whatever you believe makes you faster probably does, just from a confidence standpoint. So I say do whatever makes you comfortable.
several companies make lipo warmers and at major races like vegas and snowbirds your battery has a temp limit on how hot it can be. vegas a couple years agao it was like 110 but I think they have since come down to to 10 above room or something unscienetific like that. it is an advantage to have a lipo warmed up to 120 or more just like tyre warmers and ceremic bearings it just makes you a dweeb running them in VTA.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #939
Tech Regular

I think I've decided on an X Ray T3R kit. Calculations say a 42t pinion would be good to start with (3.8 FDR) with the stock 84t spur. Do people swap the stock spurs usually or stick with the 48pitch? Sorry if this is better suited for the T3 thread... I just want to order everything I need at once to get going.

The rest of my A main cart:

Novak Edge 2S/25.5 Ballistic
Savox 1257
Couple sets of wheels/tires
HPI Boss 302 Body
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #940
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
I think I've decided on an X Ray T3R kit. Calculations say a 42t pinion would be good to start with (3.8 FDR) with the stock 84t spur. Do people swap the stock spurs usually or stick with the 48pitch? Sorry if this is better suited for the T3 thread... I just want to order everything I need at once to get going.

Savox 1257
HPI Boss 302 Body
That servo is sweet for sure. I've got it in my short course truck.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #941
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:

Savox 1257
HPI Boss 302 Body
Most of our track has gone to 64 pitch. If you are running outdoors, 48 is probably better, but otherwise, 64 seems to give more options, and run a little smoother.

For the servo, wouldn't you want a 1258? The 1257 is the high torque which I don't thing you need as much as the speed. I used a 1258 and loved it, then went to a smaller servo (1251 I think is the Savox, though I switched to KO), but speed is where you want to go more then anything else.

Recommendation on the wheels, clean them and the tires before gluing and let fully dry. Also, sand the finish on the wheels where the tires meet to help the glue adhere better. Especially on the outside with the bigger sidewalls, the glue needs all the help it can get.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #942
Tech Regular

The 1257 is super speed and the 1258 is high speed. The only reason I kno that is BC I'm running the 1258 on my B4.1 Worlds buggy since it has a little more torque. I almost got the 1251 but the 1257 was only $7 more and is a titanium gear servo.

I ended up ordering 64 pitch gearing. Thank you for the tire gluing tips!!

Anyone else think its funny how many letters and numbers we say when were talking RC? LOL
Old 06-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #943
Tech Regular

Hey guys,

I'm getting into VTA this fall for the 1st time (TC3 Chassis) and I understand that the Brushless motor that is used (according to the rules) isn't a 21.5 but a 25.5. What Manufacturer is recommended to buy this motor from? What choices do I have here? Thanks in advance for your help.
By the way, I'm modifying the motor mount area on the TC3 to accept more gearing choices. I'll share with pics when completed.
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #944
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
25.5 brushless with 2C LiPo: Novak SS25.5 Pro brushless motor (pn:3425V) or Ballistic 25.5 (pn:3625V- stator only pn:S6625) ONLY combined with any hard-cased 2C 7.4v LiPo pack up to and including 5000 mAh capacity. Novak motors are the ONLY motor allowed at this time.
Also, we are racing VTA in Flushing Michigan on Sunday's if your interested! Starting to get a good size turnout for them. I know I have had several more people ask me about pricing for different cars, etc for getting into the class.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #945
Tech Regular

Wow.....that was quick. Thanks for the help. What is the address and or phone # for the track in Flushing. I'll have to stop over and race with you guys.
all4fun is offline   Reply With Quote