Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=regets ama;14374316]FYI,

You might want to check any recently purchased Novak BOSS 25.5 motor for the installed rotor type.

Mine came with the 5600-1 TUNING rotor (which actually measures very low gauss measurements, has very weak strength).

I was ready to purchase a new Boss motor to replace my 6 year old ballistic. I suppose in a worst case scenario I could replace the rotor if I found a weak rotor such as you describe.

According to the Novak webpage for the Boss, they list the 12.3MM rotor as the stock rotor but also list a 12.5MM optional rotor. Is the 12.5MM rotor legal per USVTA class rules?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2
According to the Novak webpage for the Boss, they list the 12.3MM rotor as the stock rotor but also list a 12.5MM optional rotor. Is the 12.5MM rotor legal per USVTA class rules?
No the 12.5mm rotor is not legal...only the 12.3mm rotor is legal under USVTA rules and now ROAR rules as well they spec'd that only 12.3mm rotors would be legal for under ROAR 25.5 motor rules....just an fyi.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freebird
????????? you have black and white to say so? I don't recall any such ruling; and why then when I travel to larger events everyone is working on their tires with sanding sticks and glue and traction compounds.
It's black and white when the rules say no tire softening and you were explaining how to soften the tires. I did not want to point a new racer to the class down the wrong path. The rules should be followed.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Jim Hustins
Rules state that you are not allowed to soften the tires. I do believe this would be cheating.
I hear what you're saying but many people at my track told me that's the way to prep new tires, after I was struggling for traction with virgin tires. Including the Race Director who said how we prep is okay, scuffing and applying traction compound is okay. Which, ultimately, is what happens when you drive on the asphalt track then sauce the tires before your next run anyway. We're there to race not break in tires. This is not cheating at my track, or Arizona tracks others giving advice also race at.

Also, two people on this thread have said they do it that way too so I'm sticking with it.

You should see how soft some people's tires are, my 3 coats of Paragon aren't even close to theirs. We do run Outlaw VTA here with 21.5 motors and even 1970's Japanese bodies, so to say we don't stick verbatim to the USVTA rules would be accurate.

Last edited by RotorTruck; 02-03-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I like the way my car performs better on newer tires. I have changed my saucing, cleaning, and storage methods to keep the tires like new as long as possible. If the tires get too soft, the car becomes unpredictable, and traction rolls easily. I spent two race days fighting traction rolling, put on a new set of tires and instantly the traction rolling went away and the car was handling in a manageable way.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kevin K
No the 12.5mm rotor is not legal...only the 12.3mm rotor is legal under USVTA rules and now ROAR rules as well they spec'd that only 12.3mm rotors would be legal for under ROAR 25.5 motor rules....just an fyi.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Using SXT 3.0 for traction and 50/50 Simple Green and water, my tires got TOO sticky and the car traction rolled frequently. I've been using SXT cleaner with much more consistent results.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

+1 Scott
Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default VTA in China update

Last weekend we held the first VTA race in Shanghai. We had 7 people racing, but more will join as some were preparing for the Chinese New Year holiday. We expect to have 15-25 racers by March.

We follow all the VTA rules, except I allow unlimited batteries and don't require Novak motors. Unfortunately, Novak was unable to respond to my importing requests, so I had to build my own 25.5 Trans Am Asia Spec motors. They only cost $35. Good to live in China.

I modified the battery rule to accommodate our race format. We run one 5 minute qualifier to determine the best 3 consecutive laps time. Just before the main, a coin toss.
Heads = same direction with inverted grid
Tails = normal grid racing in oposite direction

We then race two 20 minute mains. The second main start order is the first main's finish order. Add up lap counts from both legs and you got a winner.

After 40 minutes of racing, the top 5 were only separated by about 15 seconds (little over 1 lap).

My philosophy is to reduce qualifying and provide as much racing as possible in the time allowed. This should help my racers gain more experience with racing situations and decision making.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xevias
What do you guys think?
I think it would be sorta fun to have a 20 minute race...but the day I'm asked to corner marshall for a 20 minute heat is my last day racing. Period. My own thing, and I own that, but I wouldn't do it.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jim Hustins
Rules state that you are not allowed to soften the tires. I do believe this would be cheating.
Putting paragon or another traction compound on the tire and letting them sit is fine. Dieseling tires or using other nasty stuff is what the rule is meant to stop. It's not meant to outlaw traction compound, or letting tires soak in a bag.

Let the complaining begin!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Putting paragon or another traction compound on the tire and letting them sit is fine. Dieseling tires or using other nasty stuff is what the rule is meant to stop. It's not meant to outlaw traction compound, or letting tires soak in a bag.

Let the complaining begin!!!
The MAN has spoke!!!!!!!! New racers listen up and heed. Thanks Rob; I don't like getting into pissing matches. But to each his own. if it works for you do it within the rules as intended.

By the way you going to go Prolevel for the ROAR race?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
I am not a motor master by any means but what I have learned is:

It's really hard to say unless you have a coil resistance meter to test the stators and a gauss meter to test the rotor strength. The lowest resistance stator is the one you would want to go with. Lower resistance = more efficient and will run cooler/better at higher timing.

A weaker rotor will make the RPM much higher, but doesn't mean that because the motor RPM is higher that it is a better motor. So a gauss meter to test rotor strength is helpful. Normally the higher strength rotor the better for stock type racing.

So... I guess if you are really board you test each motor using the same rotor. Try to get the amp draw identical to each other and see what RPM readouts there are. I would try to get them all to the same amp draw (around 3.5) and use thee RPM timing info to help pick your "best" motor(s). This all sounds like a lot of work and most likely this time is better off getting a better setup and track time.

Something else to consider on your timing is going to be how long of a race or qualifier you are in. A 5 min race you most likely can run something with the higher amp draw and be fine. The issue will be "fall off" or "fade" after 4-5 minutes. If you car slows down a lot due to motor heat and battery draining faster due to more amp draw then the timing is to high. Depending how many big of a race I am attending and/or how lazy I am... I will adjust my timing a couple degrees higher in the qualifiers then I would in an 8 min main.
Very well put! I've just done a batch of motors @ 4A. Now I can see the timing it took to get there, the KV and RPM numbers. I also run the motor either in the car up on a stand or in an RPM motor stand with a slave 21.5 motor so there is a load.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I haven't used paragon before. Does it soften the tires?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Are you racing on carpet or asphalt? If racing on carpet, you want to avoid letting the tires get soft at all. They will be much more consistent the closer they stay to the feel of new tires.

If you're running on asphalt I can't give any advice, but I can't imagine that you would want them too soft either. The front would wear out very fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.