R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
This pic has to be my all time favorite simply because it has a 1972 Pontiac Firebird followed by a 1970 Hemi Cuda and a 1969 Camaro.
That Firebird in front has to be number one on my list of the most needed remaining body styles in VTA for which there is no representation in lexan.

We still need a Falcon and a GTO.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
it's the NEW HPI '78 Pontiac Firebird body legal for VTA?
Nope ...BUT very legal for USGT !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #78
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Nope ...BUT very legal for USGT !!
dang..thanks
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have an older HPI Sprint and was wondering if:

A) It would make a good VTA car
B) What would I need to get it to VTA spec?
C) What upgrades and chassis prep are you allowed to do? (Changing diffs, suspension setup, etc)

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #80
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post

C) What upgrades and chassis prep are you allowed to do? (Changing diffs, suspension setup, etc)

Thanks.
a) any chassis works well for VTA, that's they whole point of the class

b) speed control, motor, gears, vintage body (off list), HPI front/rear vintage tires/rims, lipo battery/charger

c) anything pretty much goes...there's nothing that limits what you can do to you chassis, just as long as you meet the mininium weight

look here - http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html - or page 1 of this new thread for the rules, and legal esc/motors/bodies
Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post

Thanks.
Friend of mine runs one.... the Exotek chassis helps some. With some set up time it's a good car. Remember, it was the basic platform that the first Xray (T1) followed. Get it dialed in and run it. VTA should be about chassis' that are not just "big money flavor of the month".... Older cars have potential still . If you can set it up, and wheel it, then all should be good in VTA with this ride.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #82
Tech Champion

Remember there are loads of TC3 cars that run in this class every week. And Associated is still producing the TC4 you can still buy one brand new. So yeah the Sprint 2 should be considered very capable.

If you are just getting started, I reccomend the Novak Club combo with the 25.5 SS. It's a hundred and twenty bucks and it gets you a legal motor and ESC.

Right here is the link for the rules for Official VTA. If you build your Sprint 2 to these specs and use parts from this list then you will have a legal and competitive car at any track in the world that claims to run the USVTA rules.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-24-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: correct redundancy.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #83
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Remember there are loads of TC3 cars that run in this class every week. And Associated is still producing the TC4 you can still buy one brand new. So yeah the Sprint 2 should be considered very capable.

If you are just getting started, I reccomend the Novak Club combo with the 25.5 SS. It's a hundred and twenty bucks and it gets you a legal motor and ESC.

Right here is the link for the rules for Official VTA. If you build your Sprint 2 to these specs and use parts from this list then you will have a legal and competitive car at any track in the world that claims to run the USVTA rules.
Has the club combo been approved yet? If not get the edge combo or wait until it is approved.Don't buy until you know for sure.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #84
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Has the club combo been approved yet? If not get the edge combo or wait until it is approved.Don't buy until you know for sure.
You are right. It might me a bit premature to call on the club 25.5 combo just yet. I had thought that it was already a go. Sorry about that.

You can get an edge with a Ballistic 25.5 which wont be any faster but it will have more features on the ESC and the motor has a nicer finish and changeable sensor harness. Thats about $160 instead of $120. Easily worth it to those who love the nicer aesthetics but not to those who just want to run on a budget.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #85
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
You are right. It might me a bit premature to call on the club 25.5 combo just yet. I had thought that it was already a go. Sorry about that.

You can get an edge with a Ballistic 25.5 which wont be any faster but it will have more features on the ESC and the motor has a nicer finish and changeable sensor harness. Thats about $160 instead of $120. Easily worth it to those who love the nicer aesthetics but not to those who just want to run on a budget.
I hope the club is approved soon. Sounds like a great way to get started. We had some guys get the vented endbells only to find out later they weren't legal. Don't want that to happen with an esc just in case.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #86
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMack12
Default Pegasus Hobbies' '70 1/2 Camaro?

Have heard rumors that the PH Camaro is molded thin (as little as .020). Looking at getting for a dirt-oval Street Stock, but would like to know if the body'll hold up.
JimmyMack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #87
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I need a '64 to '66 Thunderbird body style rendered in Lexan, but that will be a while I think.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
Have heard rumors that the PH Camaro is molded thin (as little as .020). Looking at getting for a dirt-oval Street Stock, but would like to know if the body'll hold up.
I used it for one of my VTA cars and it really sucked. Like you said the lexan is really thin. I shoe goo'd and fiberglass taped the front and it still cracked after a few good hits on the boards. I think the mcallister street stock camaro would be a better body. You shouldnt have to worry about really hitting anything, but the body is so wide I think you would have issues with air getting under the body and lifting. Here is a picture of it painted and ready to run.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-cc.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-cc2.jpg  

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #89
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
I'm not sure what thickness sheet they used, but the final product is very thin, as low as .012 in some places. You'll need lots of Shoo-Goo and tape to reinforce the front end.
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #90
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
considering that the motor is already on the list.

25.5 brushless with 2C LiPo: Novak SS25.5 Pro brushless motor (pn:3425V) or Ballistic 25.5
(pn:3625V- stator only pn:S6625) ONLY combined with any ROAR-approved hard-cased 2C 7.4v
LiPo pack up to and including 5000 mAh capacity. Novak motors are the ONLY motor allowed at this
time. All house track rules regarding LiPo usage apply. Only physical motor timing advance is allowed,
however Ballistic motors must not be advanced beyond the last line of the timing range sticker. 12.3
mm rotor diameter only (no "tuning" rotors are allowed, only stock Novak rotors allowed). Using
ceramic bearings in the motor makes you a dork.
Approved ESCs:
Novak-
EDGE 2S Brushless ESC (#1850, 1851)
Mongoose Micro Brushless/Brush ESC (#1718)
GTB 2 Sportsman Racing Brushless ESC (#1708, 1709)
GTB series part numbers:1710, 1711
Havoc series part numbers:1732, 1733, 1735

thats from the new rules sheet. just need to check the part number for the club ESC. the club ESC #1852 is not on the list as of yet. the motor that comes with that club 25.5 however is on the list already part number 3425
WWW.HOBBYTOWNRACING.COM
BACKER RACING VIDEOS.

Last edited by Vampyrehntrd; 03-24-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: found out the part numbers
Vampyrehntrd is offline   Reply With Quote