R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #8071
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurcheck View Post
I like that the cars are running at a more realistic pace, more door to door racing, you aren't chasing the "motor of the week" and more emphasis is on chassis set up and making wise choices on the track.
And they just simply look cool.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #8072
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quick question on gearing.
On a tight carpet track, are most cranking the timing all the way up and gearing from there, or leaving the timing lower and adding teeth to the pinion for more torque?
ncpantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #8073
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpantherfan View Post
Quick question on gearing.
On a tight carpet track, are most cranking the timing all the way up and gearing from there, or leaving the timing lower and adding teeth to the pinion for more torque?
Good question. I want to know the answer to this too.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #8074
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have never heard of a USVTA motor NOT being at max timing. Regardless of track.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #8075
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm sure I will get blasted for this BUT...just like with any motor they all have a "sweet spot" and it isn't always at max timing. you can change the timing while you have the throttle wide open and hear when it hits that "sweet spot" and if you go beyond it will start to lag.
Just my $.02 worth here, be kind.
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #8076
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I have never heard of a USVTA motor NOT being at max timing. Regardless of track.
hate to bring this up again but max timing is what 45 degrees on the label or what?. Because of issues with the timing label placement 45 degrees was actually 58 degrees on one of my VTA motor and 55 on the other. Neither ran particularly well with that much timing. I set the timing at 45degrees with the Motorlyser, and the motor seems very happy there coming off the track barely warm after winning a 12 minute main with no fan. I've seen people running the same motor: one at max timing and the other at zero timing and be equally fast when gears appropriately. Is 45 degrees the sweet spot, I don't know, but its close.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #8077
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I have never ran max timing....Mike is absolutly correct. The sweet spot for all these can be anywhere.

But max time is rarely it for me...I average 25-37deg give or take and the track condition
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #8078
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
hate to bring this up again but max timing is what 45 degrees on the label or what?. Because of issues with the timing label placement 45 degrees was actually 58 degrees on one of my VTA motor and 55 on the other. Neither ran particularly well with that much timing. I set the timing at 45degrees with the Motorlyser, and the motor seems very happy there coming off the track barely warm after winning a 12 minute main with no fan. I've seen people running the same motor: one at max timing and the other at zero timing and be equally fast when gears appropriately. Is 45 degrees the sweet spot, I don't know, but its close.

dont see what you are saying. your sticker didnt match up with what the dyno? why would it? your motor was hand made by people with different hands. what makes you think that they all are the same strength to pull the wire the same tightness? if your motor is off, its not the end of the world. nor is a black eye on the class. its just what it is.

i hope that you guys that come on here and find complaints and goofy loopholes within the USVTA and USGT classes know you are just hurting the growth of the classes. you are not doing any of us any favors by constantly complaining and whining about this and that.

The rules are simple and easy to follow. I dont agree with the change in the esc ROAR rule. but I respect Robk and Eric and thats the bottom line for that. Im I going to quit VTA...no...complain...no....I got over it real quick and raced within the rules. simple

yawn...cya
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-img_1292.jpg  
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #8079
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

I guess i am not seeing where the guy you quoted was complaining?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #8080
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Well I stand corrected. Everyone at my local track cranks um to the moon and beyond.

Long live USVTA and USGT.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #8081
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
I have never ran max timing....Mike is absolutly correct. The sweet spot for all these can be anywhere.

But max time is rarely it for me...I average 25-37deg give or take and the track condition
If you are talking about timing label timing your sweet spot could be at or near the old MAX timing limit of 45 degrees and not realize it. My VTA motor at 45 degrees timing by the Motorlyser, says ~33 degrees by the label. Sweet spot or not, it runs strong all the way through a 12 minute main (5000MAH battery).

PS ROBK announced he was revoking the 45 degree timing rule here in this thread about a month ago because of issues with the timing label. Not complaining or whining here; just stating facts.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 11-30-2014 at 04:33 PM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #8082
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
I'm sure I will get blasted for this BUT...just like with any motor they all have a "sweet spot" and it isn't always at max timing. you can change the timing while you have the throttle wide open and hear when it hits that "sweet spot" and if you go beyond it will start to lag.
Just my $.02 worth here, be kind.
Read this yesterday so when I was working on my cars today I decided to test this out.

Loosened up the screws on the motor and held the throttle wide open with one hand while I twisted the motor with the other. The "Max RPMs" point of the motor was with the mark WELL past the 45 point on the label. I'm talking like 65 or 70 before RPMs started to go down. It was actually fairly easy to eyeball max RPMs based on tire ballooning.

Also, each motor didn't hit this max RPM at the same spot so I'm in total agreement that the labels are crap.

So my question now is: Is max RPMs equal to "sweet spot"? Why would you run with less than max RPM other than heat?
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #8083
Tech Legend

be curious on that question too.

Also, when you guys do this test for "Max RPM", I am assuming this is under load on the vehicle and would this be a valid "quick and dirty way" to find the sweet spot for your timing setting.

With this much variance in the motors, glad that timing on the can is able to be adjusted. Could imagine the complaints or people hunting for the best motor then for ones that have a fixed timing but don't behave the same way at that timing setting.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #8084
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
So my question now is: Is max RPMs equal to "sweet spot"? Why would you run with less than max RPM other than heat?
No, maximum RPM with no load is not the sweet spot. You need to find the timing setting where the product of torque times RPM (also known as power output) is maximum. The only way to find this point is under load. If you don't have an accurate, true dynamometer, then it's a matter of track testing at several different timing settings and gear ratios.

Tidbit: the maximum power output of a permanent magnet DC motor is at 1/2 of the free-running RPM.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #8085
Tech Legend

what tools do you guys recommend to have to do this that doesn't break the bank?