R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #8041
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Also be sure that reverse is turned off (i.e., Forward only). I bought the Hobby Wing Just Stock because I have a HW ESC in one of my off-road cars and already had the programming box. When I started VTA early this year, I was using a Tekin Gen 1 ESC and never noticed a drop off in lap times with I got the HW Just Stock. Nor did I notice an improvement in lap times when I switched to the TeKin Gen2 ESC.
Correct. Reverse set to %100 but turned off. Once I did that the brakes were great. The cheap $10 dollar program box (what I paid) works fine, or get the lcd for a few bucks more. I can't knock HW at all. My attitude is that for the price, they are essentially "disposable" ..... but then again, I've never had one go bad.

There is a saying: "Cheap, Fast, Reliable - Pick 2"

With a Justock, you basically get all three.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...

Last edited by nf_ekt; 11-15-2014 at 11:01 PM.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #8042
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

For USVTA fans who are on Facebook:

Take a look at this Post by HPI Racing
Anyone else a fan of some good old Vintage Trans Am racing? #hpiracing #vta #vintagetransam #chevy #camaro #musclecar
Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #8043
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have always struggled with too much traction on high bite tracks when running my TC3 or TC4. I realize that I need to do better with understanding setup.

One question I do have is the angle for the a-arms when running large diameter tires like we use in VTA. The (lower) a-arms on my cars tend to be closer to the racing surface at the chassis and higher from the racing surface at the wheels - which would look like the following.

[]\___/[] - (this is obviously exaggerated)

Should I be raising the a-arms where they mount to the chassis so they end up being more level with the racing surface?
Would this be considered raising or lowering the roll center?
Does the angle of the a-arms have any affect on traction?

I'm just trying to find a way that sticks in my head/makes sense for me when it comes to managing grip levels.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #8044
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
I have always struggled with too much traction on high bite tracks when running my TC3 or TC4. I realize that I need to do better with understanding setup.

One question I do have is the angle for the a-arms when running large diameter tires like we use in VTA. The (lower) a-arms on my cars tend to be closer to the racing surface at the chassis and higher from the racing surface at the wheels - which would look like the following.

[]\___/[] - (this is obviously exaggerated)

Should I be raising the a-arms where they mount to the chassis so they end up being more level with the racing surface?
Would this be considered raising or lowering the roll center?
Does the angle of the a-arms have any affect on traction?

I'm just trying to find a way that sticks in my head/makes sense for me when it comes to managing grip levels.

Try this one
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-roll-center.png  
Old 11-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #8045
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not that this post matters to any one......
I started Rc flying planes a many years ago....took awhile...But I got it.
3 years ago I got into Rc cars ...dirt oval....whew took some effort but I did ok......
I saw the VTA thread on here , and I knew this was me....
NOT......
I bought a TC 6.1 ....read everything I could....
First time at the track omg I have no idea.....
So ...to you fast guys ..I tip my hat to you...
18to88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #8046
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18to88 View Post
3 years ago I got into Rc cars ...dirt oval....whew took some effort but I did ok......
NOT......
what do you need help with?...

you can look at my setups on the AE sites here

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...rm-up_2013.pdf
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #8047
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
NOT......
Just stick with it! I started racing on-road this year, after coming from flying planes and nitro helis. In fact, I use a stick transmitter because it just felt more normal to me.

After 10 months of racing, I finally got my first A-main win recently. Not because of any secret setup or hot motor. Just lots and lots of practice and racing.

Some tips:
  • Find a setup that is comfortable to drive and just TURN LAPS! Don't chase your tail constantly changing your setup, you'll end up more confused!
  • Watch the fast guys; they drive neat, tight lines in every corner. I mean EVERY corner.
  • Slow in and fast out of the corners is way better than the other way around.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck and have fun!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-brr-001.jpg  
scirocco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #8048
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
NOT......
As one who also came into RC cars from RC airplanes many years ago (and many dollars ago) welcome. While practice, practice, and more practice is great; just as with airplanes, practice flying with an ill trimmed airplane won't necessarily make you a better pilot neither will driving an ill handling car make you a better driver. IF your car isn't handling well have one of the fast guys drive it and suggest some set up changes (better yet have one of the fast guys with your chassis drive your car) and help you get the car set up. The box stock setup are usually a pretty good starting point but check PetitRC for additional setup for your chassis. Also I sure there is a 6.1 thread here that has some VTA setups Then practice with a reasonable well set up car. Perhaps the best thing I did to improve my driving was to improve the car setup. To that I owe Martin Crisp a lot of the credit. His book XXXMain:Chassis Setup Guide gave me a good education on what adjustments to make to my car. (He now has an app and there is a thread here on RCTECH where he helps with setup questions). With his book, all I had to do was be a good enough driver to realize if the car was loose or pushed on/off or at neutral power (that is sometimes difficult to separate handling problems from pilot induced errors) . Then I could adjust the car to make it handle better. With lots of practice, I figured out which of these adjustments had the biggest effect and which were he easiest to make at the track.

When I teach a newbies, I give him/her one of my cars, detune it by taking out some of the timing and letting them have some fun (my VTA car at Zero timing is great for this in novice class). I give them driving pointers and eventually speed up the car. The big advantage they have is that they are already driving a reasonably well setup car, so they don't have to learn driving and car setup at the same time (sort of like learning to fly with an airplane you built and no one else has ever flown - every thing is stacked against you).

But the best advice of all is one you have already received: DON"T BE AFRAIF TO ASK QUESIONS.

Have fun and hope you enjoy this as much as I and my son have over rhe last 30+ years.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 11-21-2014 at 04:17 AM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #8049
Tech Fanatic

Duplicate
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #8050
Tech Adept

I have a question about something that has always bothered me.
Why is the list of approved speed controls so short for usvta, but the usgt uses any roar blinky esc?
Of all the escs I own none are on the vta approved list, but are all on the roar list.
I really don't want to buy an esc just for vta...
ncpantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #8051
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpantherfan View Post
I have a question about something that has always bothered me.
Why is the list of approved speed controls so short for usvta, but the usgt uses any roar blinky esc?
Of all the escs I own none are on the vta approved list, but are all on the roar list.
I really don't want to buy an esc just for vta...
Directly above the list....

6/2014: THIS CLASS WILL NOW ALLOW ROAR SPEC CLASS ("BLINKY") APPROVED ESCS
THE APPROVED ESCS LIST REMAINS HERE FOR THOSE TRACKS WHO WISH TO CONTINUE USING THE LIST
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #8052
Tech Elite

BINGO!! This to me was one of the best things the USVTA has done. I wish the OFFICIAL MOTOR rule would do the same, not for the same reasons as others who like the idea of opening the brands, but I know a lot of shops don't carry the Novak motors, so it's just a little harder to get the proper motor for some, and others have loyalty to other brands (I fought all these issues too when my SWTour R/C Oval Series was an EXCLUSIVE NOVAK brand motor organization. I loved only having one brand of product to worry about having to tech w/o hidden things sneaking their way though tech.

6/2014: THIS CLASS WILL NOW ALLOW ROAR SPEC CLASS ("BLINKY") APPROVED ESCS
THE APPROVED ESCS LIST REMAINS HERE FOR THOSE TRACKS WHO WISH TO CONTINUE USING THE LIST
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #8053
Tech Adept

You know, I have read the rules about a dozen times and I have missed that line everytike!
ncpantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #8054
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
... I wish the OFFICIAL MOTOR rule would do the same, not for the same reasons as others who like the idea of opening the brands, but I know a lot of shops don't carry the Novak motors, so it's just a little harder to get the proper motor for some, and others have loyalty to other brands (I fought all these issues too when my SWTour R/C Oval Series was an EXCLUSIVE NOVAK brand motor organization. ....
Honestly, I can see both points in the argument but USVTA is going to do what they feel is best for them and if you want to play, you got to pay so to speak.

Probably the only thing I wouldn't mind personally them doing which would still fit into there current motor choice is maybe some leverage on the price novak is wanting for these motors since they are the "official motor".

In general, and maybe i am mistaken but I am commonly finding only the BOSS edition in stock for new purchases at places like tower and amain which is now $10 more than what the previous 25.5 was available for, effectively raising the cost of the class, especially since there are other options from companies that have both the previous blinky only legal escs and a 25.5 motor that you can get locked on timing too if you want for the same price as just the BOSS motor.

To me at least, just seems that since you get the exclusiveness of USVTA, maybe some price benefit can be seen on the motor for buyers not an effective price increase by offering the BOSS edition only in comparison to other motor companies offerings.

Bu again, just my opinion.

Changing topics since the look of USVTA seems oriented towards looking like the real thing with driver figure, one thing that seemed interesting to me at least was Traxxas Onboard Audio System. When I first heard about it, it made me thing what would it be like to see a class of USVTA vehicles whipping around the track with engines simulating the roar of the engines. I know when talking to people in general who prefer nitro class watching to electric, a lot of it is due to the sound.

Based on this I decided to contact traxxas concerning their system. From what they told me, it sounds like the only hang up is the ESC as it appears integrated in some fashion to the module. Hopefully though they can look into making a module that is more universal that you can use in some fashion as the concept to me at least seems pretty awesome.
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #8055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I concer on the motor thing. I was hung up on allowing other motors in the class for a while. But I actually like novak motor more than a couple others Ive tried. And I like the 1 motor thing as it makes tech very simple. But I guess since Novak has a monopoly on the class they can charge a premium for the motor. While it isnt a price gougingly high price, it still is the most expensive one out there. And since Novak was so gratious to be the first to make a 25.5 for the class, maybe now they can work with the powers that be to offer discount to people. Maybe point series members at first? Maybe this the start of an organization that could compete with ROAR (at least in the on - road world)
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote