Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks RK
Old 10-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
PS If you still have that dog motor, would you send it to me. I'd like test it on my equipment - I'll return it if you want.
I'd send it if I did, but it is long gone. It's replacement has been fairly healthy and all I run.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Now that the timing rule is gone, my money is on that NOTHING will chance with results, club or nationally. The fast guys will still be fast, the slow guys will still be.....well you get the idea.

If you guys spent half as much time working on your car setup as on rctech, I think the results would show far more than Rob removing a motor timing rule. As someone who has won the USVTA triple crown series and podium-ed at three of the national races, my motor has never been on a dyno, nor have I cared to put it on one. Oh yeah, and I bought it used off rctech 3 years ago.

A free car that works well and carries corner speed will have a giant advantage over a motor that carries 14 more rpm after hours of dyno time every single day of the week.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
The fast guys will still be fast, the slow guys will still be......
Complaining about something else?
Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
First off, yeah there definitely are 21.5 motors that are faster than others. I own a bunch of different motors and there is a difference. At last years Southern Nats, the ORCA motor was definitely fast, and this was obvious to the naked eye. At last year's Scale Nats, the Trackstar motor was surprisingly fast. Racing F1 at Tamiya races has also allowed me to see that there continue to be faster motors introduced all the time. R1 Wurks for example....

Anyway, the timing rule is going to go. Not because of any complaining on here. I should have changed the rules a while ago but I haven't gotten around to it. The SS motors are pretty much gone at this point, and that is the ONLY reason for the rule. Everybody is running off at the mouth like the rule was meant to keep parity individual motor to motor. No, it was only an attempt to keep from obsoleting the SS motors. Personally, if you want to blow your stuff up, have at it.

BTW we have dynos up north as well...

AH Heck!! Now what are we gonna complain and whine about??

And my dyno works just fine , for those that ask to have their entire system checked.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Now that the timing rule is gone, my money is on that NOTHING will chance
So if nothing is changing, I suppose you have nothing to worry about

It's (timing rule eliminated) another positive step IMO.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
AH Heck!! Now what are we gonna complain and whine about??
In this thread they will find something.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
First off, yeah there definitely are 21.5 motors that are faster than others. I own a bunch of different motors and there is a difference. At last years Southern Nats, the ORCA motor was definitely fast, and this was obvious to the naked eye. At last year's Scale Nats, the Trackstar motor was surprisingly fast. Racing F1 at Tamiya races has also allowed me to see that there continue to be faster motors introduced all the time. R1 Wurks for example....

Anyway, the timing rule is going to go. Not because of any complaining on here. I should have changed the rules a while ago but I haven't gotten around to it. The SS motors are pretty much gone at this point, and that is the ONLY reason for the rule. Everybody is running off at the mouth like the rule was meant to keep parity individual motor to motor. No, it was only an attempt to keep from obsoleting the SS motors. Personally, if you want to blow your stuff up, have at it.

BTW we have dynos up north as well...
Thanks ROBK. I've always found that facts trump emotion. Agreed that 21.5 motors have gotten faster, but we ran 10 cars in a recent USGT A Main with at least 6 different makes of motors and the best lap times were within a second (on a big track). Perhaps the 12 minute mains are the equalizer, but no 21.5 motor here is dominating USGT.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

So is there any way for those of us without a Motolyser to see if the timing is correct on our motors?

Someone said something about the screws in the endbell itself?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

As I see and do.....I'm just going to invest back into more Dragon blood and Chuck Norris ball juice

Tired of being slow
Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by .crispy
So is there any way for those of us without a Motolyser to see if the timing is correct on our motors?

Someone said something about the screws in the endbell itself?
This may be overtaken by events since RobK said the 45 degree timing rule is going away. But to answer your question, right now I'm not aware of any. Some here have suggested aligning specific points on the exterior of the motor. I've asked for more specifics as to where those alignment points should be (i.e., those used by the factory teams) to see if they check out on my two Novak motors that I have timed at 45 degrees with my motorlyser. So far no reply. It might be better than the timing label but by how much is the question that perhaps doesn't need to be answered now?
Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

A free car that works well and carries corner speed will have a giant advantage over a motor that carries 14 more rpm after hours of dyno time every single day of the week.
Finally - some common sense is stated out loud. All the motor you can muster up isn't going to do anyone any good without the corner speed. Yep, everyone says they understand that but only a few can consistently produce a very free car.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The places that run VTA here are looking at the rules for update, but one of the people in the know has stated that if you follow USVTA rules you will be good to go in general.

So I am looking at what I have here that I bought on the cheap to get us into the local "VTA" class (Speed Passion Reventon Club, 25.5 V3.0 Motor $75 new for the combo, reuse our summer SCT batteries) to see what I need to upgrade.

So my question is this, is there any benefit performance-wise to the BOSS edition motors over say a regular Ballistics assuming both are new in a tight track situation?

Same question on batteries? Thinking some SMC 4mm inboards. Anyone know of a 5mm inboard setup (I use these type of connectors so have a variety of them on hand).

Also, for guys who run Xray T3 2012 vehicles, if you have any tips on where you orient your weight and how much in general you are adding, and even pictures that would be very helpful.

For the inner driver figure, which of these offer the easiest installation, especially on the vehicle previously mentioned?

Lastly, I have to say I like the things you guys do for "realism" with the inner bodies, etc. With its release of the traxxas new audio system, was curious if anyone is looking to try these out in USVTA Racing to add a bit more realism to it?

Would like to follow that and see vids if possible

Last edited by Cain; 10-09-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cain
So my question is this, is there any benefit performance-wise to the BOSS edition motors over say a regular Ballistics assuming both are new in a tight track situation?
Some say they run cooler, but not faster.

Originally Posted by Cain
Lastly, I have to say I like the things you guys do for "realism" with the inner bodies, etc. With its release of the traxxas new audio system, was curious if anyone is looking to try these out in USVTA Racing to add a bit more realism to it?
Ford is doing that with their high-end 6 Cyl. Eco-Boost cars... FAKE SOUND!

I do know that guys that run with lights are generally despised...
Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Some say they run cooler, but not faster.
Thanks for the info on the motor, would think if it runs cooler it will allow taller gearing, but maybe more to it. Will see what is out there. Darn, should have grabbed some in the spring lol.

Ford is doing that with their high-end 6 Cyl. Eco-Boost cars... FAKE SOUND!

I do know that guys that run with lights are generally despised...
Darn, so no cop car body again with working lights and siren lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.