R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #7861
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Stormer has some CRC VTA packs for sale.
http://http://www.stormerhobbies.com...=cs&pn=CRC3732

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #7862
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Thanks, Myron! Always nice to know there are good options out there. Last time I bought some EAMs and they puffed early and the performance started falling off pretty badly. Not a good experience for my first time branching away from "cheap" batteries. I went back to some Gens Ace packs and have been happy (again) with their performance and longevity.

I think next time I may consider those Reedys.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #7863
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Thanks, Myron! Always nice to know there are good options out there. Last time I bought some EAMs and they puffed early and the performance started falling off pretty badly. Not a good experience for my first time branching away from "cheap" batteries. I went back to some Gens Ace packs and have been happy (again) with their performance and longevity.

puff or swell? any battery that you push hard in charging or discharging will swell; with the experiences I had with on / offroad. Puffing would be major tight in the case and start to be busting the seam of the case. If you run your battery too low and leave it there and aren't charging it right. your pushing the cells hard. I also check my IR's regularly to keep tabs on the battery performance.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #7864
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
puff or swell? any battery that you push hard in charging or discharging will swell; with the experiences I had with on / offroad. Puffing would be major tight in the case and start to be busting the seam of the case. If you run your battery too low and leave it there and aren't charging it right. your pushing the cells hard. I also check my IR's regularly to keep tabs on the battery performance.
I never differentiated between puff and swell. In this instance, I guess I would call them in between. Batteries always balanced charged, I'd use two batteries per race day, always stored in storage mode, and never overdischarged by any means, not pushed too hard.

Nonetheless, those batteries did not put up the performance or longevity of the cheapy Gens Ace packs I'd run before or since. Sadly, the most expensive packs I've purchased are lackluster practice packs now.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #7865
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:

I had a similar experience with Team EAM packs and just keep going back to Gens Ace as well. They are the best packs in the "economy" category I've ever used/tested. Plenty of ballast too because they tend to weigh more than other 5000 packs. Just wish they could keep them in stock. The best overall pack I've ever tested was a Reedy 6500 "Performance" pack which I used as a reference point for testing several other packs getting ready for the 2012 ROAR paved nationals. I ran it a few times in USGT but then wound up selling it because it weighed too much for my setup.

BTW... I just tested my crop of 15 5000 packs of various brands and ages using an iCharger 306b with an external load to bring it up to a 20 amp discharge and logged all the results for comparison. Two Yeah Racing "economy" packs I bought around 2008 and raced several seasons with still perform well enough to race and have low IR numbers. I was actually kind of shocked (that they still work better than many newer packs) but I think the competition to build cheaper and cheaper packs has driven down the quality a bit especially in the "economy" range of packs.
USVTA Member #155
Associated TC3 Faithful

Last edited by beemerfan; 09-10-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Clarity
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #7866
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Well poop. I just bought my SMC in the spec formula. Thats ok my driving still needs work. At least I know they are out there now
Danny said he now just has the 5000 inboards in the Race Formula. Everything I have is set up for Deans. Those should be coming next month. Can't wait to have SMC power back in my cars. That's all we used before Lipos.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #7867
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Danny said he now just has the 5000 inboards in the Race Formula. Everything I have is set up for Deans. Those should be coming next month. Can't wait to have SMC power back in my cars. That's all we used before Lipos.
I've been really pleased with my Factory Spec SMC lipos with inboard connections. I'll definitely have to consider the Race Formula next time! Thanks for the heads up.
Rodarbal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #7868
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

The SMC Race Formula is .2 quicker than the Factory Spec formula. I ran these back to back at Thunder a couple weeks ago and was stunned by the difference. The car looked and felt no different but somewhere in the run it was losing the .2. Still not enough to beat Myrons cheater car down the straight, but instead of a 30ft advantage he maybe only has 10!
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #7869
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
The SMC Race Formula is .2 quicker than the Factory Spec formula. I ran these back to back at Thunder a couple weeks ago and was stunned by the difference. The car looked and felt no different but somewhere in the run it was losing the .2. Still not enough to beat Myrons cheater car down the straight, but instead of a 30ft advantage he maybe only has 10!
roll the video?
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #7870
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMack12

Any of you guys gonna be in Cleveland for the Indoor Champs in November? It *is* a "national-points-paying" race. Would love to meet some of y'all
JimmyMack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #7871
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Holy jeebus... the Race Formula sounds convincing enough for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
Any of you guys gonna be in Cleveland for the Indoor Champs in November? It *is* a "national-points-paying" race. Would love to meet some of y'all
Shoot... if I still lived in Akron you could bet I'd be there!
Rodarbal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #7872
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
Holy jeebus... the Race Formula sounds convincing enough for me!

Shoot... if I still lived in Akron you could bet I'd be there!
Cleveland what a great race. My son and I made that race 5 or 6 times. I wonder if they ever got the wintergreen smell out of that hotel?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #7873
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMack12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Cleveland what a great race. My son and I made that race 5 or 6 times. I wonder if they ever got the wintergreen smell out of that hotel?
I'm *hoping* that the hotel they've been in the last couple of years is a *different* place than the "Wintergreen" place...LOL
JimmyMack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #7874
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
I'm *hoping* that the hotel they've been in the last couple of years is a *different* place than the "Wintergreen" place...LOL
I'm sure it is. I used to travel a lot when I was in the AF and would take my 12th scale car with me to Dayton. They had a track at a dog kennel, an I'd race there, and to my surprise it turned out to be an exact replica of the Cleveland layout the first year we went. So much for a secret layout. I was just amazed that 700 guys got a kitchen pass for Thanksgiving to go racing.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #7875
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
I had a similar experience with Team EAM packs and just keep going back to Gens Ace as well. They are the best packs in the "economy" category I've ever used/tested. Plenty of ballast too because they tend to weigh more than other 5000 packs. Just wish they could keep them in stock. The best overall pack I've ever tested was a Reedy 6500 "Performance" pack which I used as a reference point for testing several other packs getting ready for the 2012 ROAR paved nationals. I ran it a few times in USGT but then wound up selling it because it weighed too much for my setup.

BTW... I just tested my crop of 15 5000 packs of various brands and ages using an iCharger 306b with an external load to bring it up to a 20 amp discharge and logged all the results for comparison. Two Yeah Racing "economy" packs I bought around 2008 and raced several seasons with still perform well enough to race and have low IR numbers. I was actually kind of shocked (that they still work better than many newer packs) but I think the competition to build cheaper and cheaper packs has driven down the quality a bit especially in the "economy" range of packs.
Quote:
I never differentiated between puff and swell. In this instance, I guess I would call them in between. Batteries always balanced charged, I'd use two batteries per race day, always stored in storage mode, and never overdischarged by any means, not pushed too hard.

Nonetheless, those batteries did not put up the performance or longevity of the cheapy Gens Ace packs I'd run before or since. Sadly, the most expensive packs I've purchased are lackluster practice packs now.
Quote:

Can both of you email me at TeamEAM@me.com about your packs? Where you bought them how long ago and let me see what I can do.

You are the first I have EVER heard of swelling a 5000 pack any at all except in extreme 4wd SCT Mod trucks. The 5000mah packs are in the same size case as the 7000 packs are so there is a TON of room in them that should prevent them from swelling any at all. The VTA pack is my best selling pack and I can only remember 1 pack Ive ever replaced in the 3 years I have been offering it. So if you had one swell then possibly there was something wrong with the pack in the first place and why it didnt perform up to your expectations to begin with.

Thanks
EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote