R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #7816
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,918
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Guys have to quit looking at motors as being "NOVAK" motors, and instead get it in your head that it's the
USVTA "Spec" Motor by NOVAK.

Kindly THANK Novak for making a motor that Nobody else would when it was wanted, and their reward is "Exclusivity"
amen!!!!

the motor works and that should be enough

give it a rest. you want differen motors, go run ROAR rules and stop trying to muck with a perfectly good class
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #7817
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,754
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Since I returned to on road racing in January, last week was the first race weekend that there were no USVTA cars to have a VTA class. Was it that this weekend we reverted back to USVTA rules? I don't know, but we had about a dozen VTA cars at the open motor rules race. However, there were 10 USGT cars powered by at least 7 different motors and the fastest to slowest best lap times were within about 1 second on a mid 16 second track layout. Having an open motor rule in USGT doesn't seem to have produced a "motor of the week" problem, at least here in Texas, like many here fear will happen in VTA.
Not to keep beating this dead horse but there are NO set rules for 25.5 motors at this time. That is the biggest hurdle you come to first. 21.5 is established and has ROAR rules and a process for things being approved....25.5 does not. Its hard to say any 25.5 when I can just take a 21.5 and put a 25.5 sticker and call it a 25.5 and there isnt anything you can do about it. All I would have to say is show me the rules to stop this from happening???

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
You are probably right about that and there are serious and valid reasons the 45 degree rule should be dropped and I see more reasons now that I have the motorlyser. However, the next time Novak unilaterally makes changes to their "spec" motor, I hope that Rob stands up for us and says fine NOVAK, now start competing with everyone else. Loyalty is a great quality, but both parties have to be loyal to each other. IMO when blind loyalty lets you get taken advantage of by the other, then it's time to rethink the way things have been done in the past. Not a sermon - just a thought!
You do have a point with Loyalty.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....14th year running 2016/17!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:42 AM   #7818
Tech Elite
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 2,421
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Well poop. This took a wrong turn.
__________________
Tamiya EVO 6 with EXOSIX conversion
Tamiya TA07
tamiya box stock Mini (M05)
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #7819
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,918
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Well poop. This took a wrong turn.
as many times as this has been tried/suggest - did you really expect anything different??

this means that there aren't any issues with the current motor - at least no more then then any other motor
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #7820
Tech Regular
 
gooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: grimes,ia
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

For me Personally id like motor options for 2 reasons the first being my lhs no longer stocks Novak motors and the nearest shop that does is 2.5 hours away. Second being Novak motor quality has gone down hill(which is why my LHS no longer carries them). I bought my reedy USGT motor and Novak boss the exact same day 2 years ago. I still run the reedy the Novak went up in smoke (15 degrees of timing and a 5.0 fdr so it wasn't abused either.)Sure I could've got a bad motor but that doesn't explain the other 2 I've gone thru since. VTA is an awesome class and we owe a lot to Novak but allowing closely regulated(as with Novak) motors from other manufactures wouldn't hurt the class
__________________
I spend money I don't have on parts I don't need to beat people I don't know
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #7821
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,918
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
For me Personally id like motor options for 2 reasons the first being my lhs no longer stocks Novak motors and the nearest shop that does is 2.5 hours away. Second being Novak motor quality has gone down hill(which is why my LHS no longer carries them). I bought my reedy USGT motor and Novak boss the exact same day 2 years ago. I still run the reedy the Novak went up in smoke (15 degrees of timing and a 5.0 fdr so it wasn't abused either.)Sure I could've got a bad motor but that doesn't explain the other 2 I've gone thru since. VTA is an awesome class and we owe a lot to Novak but allowing closely regulated(as with Novak) motors from other manufactures wouldn't hurt the class
I've been using the same novak ballistic that I got 3 1/2 years ago (2011) - never smoked, or had fade... and I've run it HOT and with a extremely low FDR (2.8ish)...

that being said, its like anyone's motors - unless you're buying them from a tuning company (EAM, Xpress Motorsports, Fantom, etc), you will always run the risk of getting a dude that'll blow up... Plus Novak's customer service is the best and I'm sure they would have figured something out that would have been beneficial to you

so that's not a good enough reason to move away from Novak.
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #7822
Tech Elite
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 2,421
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

I have to disagree about the customer service. I had issues with both a GTB2 and Edge glitching really bad. Novaks suggestions was to get rid of Savox servo and FM (JRx3) radio. Tried 3 other manufacturers ESC's, all worked flawlessly. So sent the novak junk back and never had a problem since. I only run the motors b/c thats the rules. But I do like the overall deaign of the Ballistic series, and I've never had a problem with the motors. Im just fine keeping things the way they are.
__________________
Tamiya EVO 6 with EXOSIX conversion
Tamiya TA07
tamiya box stock Mini (M05)
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #7823
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,918
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I have to disagree about the customer service. I had issues with both a GTB2 and Edge glitching really bad. Novaks suggestions was to get rid of Savox servo and FM (JRx3) radio. Tried 3 other manufacturers ESC's, all worked flawlessly. So sent the novak junk back and never had a problem since. I only run the motors b/c thats the rules. But I do like the overall deaign of the Ballistic series, and I've never had a problem with the motors. Im just fine keeping things the way they are.
I've dealt with them a few times and never had any issues - even had a 2 weeks long conversation with Charlie (head of CS) about nonsense and the update board from a few years ago..

I've also got a LP heatsink free of charge from them just because I asked about how to get one... also sent an old cyclone TC back for service, no issues and quick return..

so I guess it just boils down (like everything else - both RC and non-RC) to what kind of mood the CS rep was that day
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #7824
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,811
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Since I returned to on road racing in January, last week was the first race weekend that there were no USVTA cars to have a VTA class. Was it that this weekend we reverted back to USVTA rules? I don't know, but we had about a dozen VTA cars at the open motor rules race. However, there were 10 USGT cars powered by at least 7 different motors and the fastest to slowest best lap times were within about 1 second on a mid 16 second track layout. Having an open motor rule in USGT doesn't seem to have produced a "motor of the week" problem, at least here in Texas, like many here fear will happen in VTA.
I have to agree here, this is a very valid point. I haven't seen any true advantage in usgt with different motors. Maybe the race this month should be a testing ground in usgt to see if there is truly any difference in the variety of motors.
fermanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #7825
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,811
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I have to disagree about the customer service. I had issues with both a GTB2 and Edge glitching really bad. Novaks suggestions was to get rid of Savox servo and FM (JRx3) radio. Tried 3 other manufacturers ESC's, all worked flawlessly. So sent the novak junk back and never had a problem since. I only run the motors b/c thats the rules. But I do like the overall deaign of the Ballistic series, and I've never had a problem with the motors. Im just fine keeping things the way they are.
I think you just got a true a--hole on the phone, I have had no issues with novak, even got a call from bob novak about replacing an impact esc under warranty when it was out of warranty. good customer service is hard to come by these days.
fermanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #7826
Tech Elite
 
SWTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Coast...CALIF.
Posts: 2,809
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

On the 21.5 motor issue - this is in part why we have an "OUTLAW" VTA Class in So. Cal (that doesn't get raced very often..but when we all get together, it's a KICK in the Pants!

We run 21.5 and the speed it produces is perfect for the size of the track we run it on.

There are other tracks out here that are doing just fine w/ "REAL" USVTA rules packages, and don't seem to have any issues (myself, I just like the Outlaw "GROUP" of racers!)

__________________
Joe Myers
R/C Racing since 1985 ~ Santa Maria, CA (Central Coast)
2001-2012 - South-West Tour R/C Oval Series - R.I.P.
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #7827
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,669
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

imo...I didn't like the ROAR esc change, but I support the USVTA in any decision made that will better the class....Im sure its no surprise that a change in motor rule will hurt the class...and Im sure all of the ppl in the USVTA will agree...if you put it to a vote...I promise the NOVAK only rule will stand....

imho...the only time I see this subject getting attention is when another company jumps on the bandwagon of VTA and wants to join in on the excitement....by building what they consider a "better" 25.5 motor....its not the same by no account, if it was...why even make a 25.5...

we have to all realize that this class has survived by keeping a basic understanding since 2007....Fair Fun Cheap...keep that in mind when you want changes to a class that grows constantly without change...

Myron
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #7828
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,918
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
imo...I didn't like the ROAR esc change, but I support the USVTA in any decision made that will better the class....Im sure its no surprise that a change in motor rule will hurt the class...and Im sure all of the ppl in the USVTA will agree...if you put it to a vote...I promise the NOVAK only rule will stand....

imho...the only time I see this subject getting attention is when another company jumps on the bandwagon of VTA and wants to join in on the excitement....by building what they consider a "better" 25.5 motor....its not the same by no account, if it was...why even make a 25.5...

we have to all realize that this class has survived by keeping a basic understanding since 2007....Fair Fun Cheap...keep that in mind when you want changes to a class that grows constantly without change...

Myron
well said
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #7829
Tech Fanatic
 
jgraham37128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 778
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Not hitting the wall is much more important than the motor. I hear people talking about this or that and then watch them run they smack the wall ten times in a 6 minute heat. You want to improve in VTA run 6 minutes and the body doesn't have one scratch (Not one). If you can do this you will be in the A main and 90% of the time in 1st place.

When you run at my track the winner is the one who hit the wall less than everyone else. If you look at in this manner you'll realize motor and new chassis and etc... isn't that important. I've raced Batman and neither of us hit a wall or each other in a heat. When you come off the drivers stand knowing this you're pumped even if you ended up second. It's a feeling you don't forget.
jgraham37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #7830
Tech Master
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,944
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I'm trying to remember how the saying goes..........something to the effect of "Speed is how hard you hit the wall, momentum is how far you push it".
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:02 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0