R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #7621
Tech Regular

Ok this discussion leads me to a question.

I am running a TC4 and usually finish top 3 at my track. I have an X-Ray T2 009 with the Exotek lipo chassis. Would I see a benefit if I switch to the X-Ray chassis?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #7622
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If you feel that your at your limit with the TC4, then yes it would help as it has more fine tuning options. But if you still are fooling around with the TC4 and havent found that magic set-up yet, then there may not be a need to switch.

I had a coue of Pro-4's that were plenty fast, but i just felt there was nothing left i them tuning wise for me. I purchased a used VBC wildfire and immedeatly gained a couple tenths. Now after some tuning, its getting even better and there is alot left in this car.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #7623
Tech Regular

Thanks for that input.

I believe the TC4 has a good set up in it and I like how it drives but I know it is heavy. I think I may lighten it up some and see how it responds before starting all over with my set up.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #7624
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If your at the 1550g then I wouldn't worry about it. If your trying to get to the 1450g ROAR weight, one of thr easiest things to do is get a shorty pack.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #7625
Tech Regular

I am way over. Closer to 1650.

I just wonder if a perfectly set up TC4 that weighed 1550 and an X-Ray perfectly set up weighing 1550 were driven by the same driver on the same track would one be faster than the other?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #7626
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TA06 vta setup

We are running a loose roar vta class in the parking lot of my local hobby town USA in spring lake NC. I am using a tamiya TA06 pro and the Novak boss vta combo.
I am chewing up front tires pretty bad, only lasting about 2-3 race weekends before they are beyond what the rules state.
Is this normal wear? I was under the impression tire life would be better than this.
Also, if anyone is using this chassis as well, can you give me a good starting set up, to include gear ratio?
I am running a little behind the fast guys, I don't think my set up is where it needs to be.
I really need a good starting point, I am not great at tuneing yet and I don't want to chase it.
Thanks
ncpantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #7627
Tech Regular

I wear front tires more than rear. We race on carpet. I got about 4 race days out of my first set.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #7628
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpantherfan View Post
We are running a loose roar vta class in the parking lot of my local hobby town USA in spring lake NC. I am using a tamiya TA06 pro and the Novak boss vta combo.
I am chewing up front tires pretty bad, only lasting about 2-3 race weekends before they are beyond what the rules state.
Is this normal wear? I was under the impression tire life would be better than this.
Also, if anyone is using this chassis as well, can you give me a good starting set up, to include gear ratio?
I am running a little behind the fast guys, I don't think my set up is where it needs to be.
I really need a good starting point, I am not great at tuneing yet and I don't want to chase it.
Thanks
Tires that are used for turning will wear faster. That said, you may be getting too much front traction. Are you tending to oversteer more than getting a push when cornering? Your solution probably is in the front suspension. Either too loose or too tight will cause extra wear. Excessive toe can cause them to scrub more. Ackerman is also a factor. I don't use that chassis so I can't help you there. I do race VTA and my tires last about 8 to 10 race weekends. I'm not a fast guy though. I have seen some variance with the others at my track.
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #7629
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarkeith View Post
I wear front tires more than rear. We race on carpet. I got about 4 race days out of my first set.
You have some serious set-up issues, if you are getting only 4 race days out of a set of tires, on carpet.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #7630
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby64 View Post
You have some serious set-up issues, if you are getting only 4 race days out of a set of tires, on carpet.
or the carpet is very abrasive

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #7631
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run tires for several race days. I can't say exactly but they last a good while on carpet. When they get close to bald I save them for asphalt. Race directors tend to be more lenient on asphalt regarding tread. Especially since tires don't last very long on the tarmac. There's even hints at leniency from the establishment. The tires tend to be a self regulating issue. New ones handle best on carpet. On asphalt bald tires hold up pretty good. Unless they pop.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #7632
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tire wear

I have seen it go both ways as to tire wear.

Were a "pushy" car eats front tires on the asphalt from lack of steering and a car that turns on a dime wearing front tires to about 70% tread on carpet in a month.

The year I ran a lot, (twice a week at club level and twice a month for the Midwest Grand Slam and Hurricane Series), I used a total of 3 sets of tires during the winter from September thru March.

On asphalt, I will run the old carpet tires until they spit the insert out when they split. I don't know of any track that enforces the visible tread rule for asphalt, but maybe some do.

I have noticed as well, if you only change the front tires and not the rears in a set, the wear on the front does go up as well.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #7633
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One of my sources at roar said he has never received a set wire size for 25.5 so no 25.5 as of right now is roar legal to a wire size.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #7634
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I probably have too much front traction.
What are the general setting for toe, shock oils and ride height?
Those should transfer between chassis.
ncpantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #7635
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpantherfan View Post
I probably have too much front traction.
What are the general setting for toe, shock oils and ride height?
Those should transfer between chassis.
I'm thinking one of your first steps would be to shim the front inner links up a bit.

Martin Crisp has a thread you should check out...