R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #7561
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
I wouldn't want to lose my brakes, as would happen with the one-way. Spool or tight front diff. I ran my front very tight on the TC3 and it was good. A little bit of give as well in a crash, unlike the spool.
I always use a slip-spool in my tc3&4's

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #7562
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
There are no ROAR rules for 25.5 motors. So there is no way to tell what is in any 25.5 motor....this is the nightmare that open 25.5 motors would open.
+1
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #7563
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My good friend BW wanted me to post this for him
He ran the Novak edge ballistic combo and a 5000 mah
trinity sting pack to get the WIN
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-image.jpg  

Last edited by rcpaintinpete; 06-12-2014 at 06:58 AM.
rcpaintinpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #7564
Tech Addict

Quote:
There are no ROAR rules for 25.5 motors. So there is no way to tell what is in any 25.5 motor....this is the nightmare that open 25.5 motors would open.
Don't know about the rules or specs for 25.5 motors, but there certainly are not any 25.5 motors listed on the ROAR approved motor list (at least as of 3 weeks ago).

BTW what is so difficult to take the ROAR specs for a 21.5 spec motor , which ROAR has, and change them for a 25.5 motor? Is it as simple as a global find 21.5 and replace with 25.5? For the Kill Shot motors I have all the rotors enb bells sensor assemblies are interchangeable between the 13.5 17.5 and 21.5, and I assume if they still had a 25.5 they would fit that too. Only thing different is the stator.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #7565
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Don't know about the rules or specs for 25.5 motors, but there certainly are not any 25.5 motors listed on the ROAR approved motor list (at least as of 3 weeks ago).

BTW what is so difficult to take the ROAR specs for a 21.5 spec motor , which ROAR has, and change them for a 25.5 motor? Is it as simple as a global find 21.5 and replace with 25.5? For the Kill Shot motors I have all the rotors enb bells sensor assemblies are interchangeable between the 13.5 17.5 and 21.5, and I assume if they still had a 25.5 they would fit that too. Only thing different is the stator.
The stator is the most important part being governed here. Until set specifications are in place, you can do whatever you'd like with a 25.5 stator to improve performance. Once one company decides they want to devote the R&D time towards exploiting the current lack of a defined ruleset, they could easily dominate the class.

If it is as simple as applying the 21.5 specs to 25.5s, ROAR should do so...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #7566
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The 25.5 market is almost non-existant. Thats why a company hasnt gone crazy with R&D yet. Outside of VTA, I am unaware of any other racing class that uses this size motor. That leaves the general R/C public. And I really dont think the general public is interested in getting a hopped up version of the slowest turn motor out there. They want speed.

Unless VTA gets as big as 17.5 WORLDWIDE, then I doubt anyone will put any R&D into it. Hell even novak didn't do anything with the new motor other than vented endbells. Its not even worth it for them to make a 25.5 in the Vulcan line-up. That should tell you something. From what I can tell, all the companies that have 25.5's just take existing motor tech and create the appropriate size stator.

I dont mind that USVTA sticks with Novak. Its nice that there is a difference in the rules for the different sanctioning bodies. So dont start screaming I want a new rule change. I dont. Just putting my 2 pennies worth in on this motor discussion.

I guess ROAR 25.5 motor rules are the Freddie Kruger of VTA. If a ROAR VTA motor beats
you in dream, then it beats your Novak in real life!!!!!!!
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #7567
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Having found a good Novak 25.5, I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the others ones I purchased weren't so hot... definitely a case where no two were the same for me. Recently I found a NIB Reedy Sonic for $65 shipped, I'll see what it does at the ROAR races. I really like the look and quality of the Reedy stuff... we'll see how it stacks up against the Ballistic.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #7568
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Ive had a Novak in the past that was just well... Ballistic... really liked it. But when my track switched over to ROAR VTA and I swapped all my gear, car, ESC, batts, charger, ect., I sold it with my old stuff. Novak makes a good competative 25.5 motor, and I like the design. If you strip out a mounting hole, you can rotate the endbell and not the wire tabs.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #7569
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Having found a good Novak 25.5, I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the others ones I purchased weren't so hot... definitely a case where no two were the same for me. .

This is basically the same for all motors and winds. Heck there are certified 5% motor's, team motors, factory motors, etc etc. I've had a similiar experience with my novaks, 1 great, 1 not so much, and my current one after i burned up the great one
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #7570
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post

Its not as simple as just going off a 21.5 motor specs. Each spec motor class ie 21.5, 17.5 and 13.5 has different size wires along with the number of wires used as the "spec". This is the problem with open 25.5 motor rules there is no way to know what any other company is doing in their motor without any ROAR motor rules.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #7571
Tech Addict

Quote:
Its not as simple as just going off a 21.5 motor specs. Each spec motor class ie 21.5, 17.5 and 13.5 has different size wires along with the number of wires used as the "spec". This is the problem with open 25.5 motor rules there is no way to know what any other company is doing in their motor without any ROAR motor rules.
I'm sure the wire gauge and the type of wind could be just as easily changed with a global find and replace.

I checked the 25.5 brushless motors on A main Hobbies and 4 of the 6 manufactures listed there (including Novak's BOSS 25.5) state in their product descriptions that their 25.5 motors are either approved by ROAR or built to comply with ROAR Specifications. So someone is confused here!!

Anyway I sent an email to ROAR asking if there are Specs for 25.5 spec brushless motors and if there are any approved 25.5 brushless motors that just happen to not have made the publishing date for the approved brushless motor list on their website. I'll let you know what ROAR has to say about ROAR approved motors for use in ROAR's VTA class.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #7572
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I wouldn't want to lose my brakes, as would happen with the one-way. Spool or tight front diff. I ran my front very tight on the TC3 and it was good. A little bit of give as well in a crash, unlike the spool.
Not the tool of choice at most tracks....but I have seen it TQ and win at Kissimmee

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #7573
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM View Post
Not the tool of choice at most tracks....but I have seen it TQ and win at Kissimmee
Yeah that is one environment where it could be done- a giant, flowing, made for 8th scale gas track. I think anyone trying this on a small carpet track at a regular club race is going to be making abrasive lexan sounds on a regular basis Got shoe-goo ?