R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #7531
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will be sticking with what I have. I've had great luck with my Novak motor and ESC and won't replace until something gives up the ghost.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #7532
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
sticking with what I have (justock), or maybe going back to the GTB2 - depends on which feels better now that I have the justock all sorted out, settings wise (weak brakes)
For me I found I have to boost the "reverse" settings, even though reverse isn't actually used. Mopar- Greg got mine working pretty well.. strong brakes after that was sorted.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #7533
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I found the same thing on my HW. Turn reverse to 100% even when not used. I also found that I turned reverse off even in practice due to a delay in the throttle if you double tapped the reverse trigger.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #7534
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I found the same thing on my HW. Turn reverse to 100% even when not used. I also found that I turned reverse off even in practice due to a delay in the throttle if you double tapped the reverse trigger.
That's basically it, you don't use reverse (turned off using the program card) but you still turn the setting for it up. Then life is good with HW.

Might try the Spec Tekin... kind of interested in the whole data-logging thing. Was looking at the explanation on their website and it was pretty cool how you could find out exactly where and if the motor was reaching max revs, ect. Looks like it could be very useful in getting ones gearing exactly where it should be, something I've never been an expert at.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #7535
Tech Elite

If using ceramic bearings make you a dork, then what does using a data logger make you? lol
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #7536
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
If using ceramic bearings make you a dork, then what does using a data logger make you? lol
It made me nervous at first, when I saw your name in the vta forum.Just remember your a tc guy just playing in vta.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #7537
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
Dork? Man we all play with toy cars.... it's kind of inescapable for all of us now isn't it

Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #7538
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think you opened up a can of worms if its not broken don't fix it my 2 cents worth.
jtsbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #7539
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I use the data logging feature in my Tekin and it was VERY helpful. I didnt use so much for gearing, although watching real time temps throughout a run helped with other things. One big thing I noticed was my battery voltage. Althiugh the charger said 8.4v when charge was over, I observed that I was only getting 8.15 at the stsrt of a race and dropping dramatically after that. I also noticed motor temps were only at 110-115. (I also run a Tekin 25.5, I dont know if it will pick up a Novak motors temps).

After purchasing new batts and finding same results, it lead me to getting a new charger that I could adjust the peak voltage. Now when I plug my battery into the car I get right at 8.4 volts. I also removd the fan, geared up a couple teeth, and played with the timing. This brought speeds up and improved battery punch even more, but I was able to keep motor temps under 160. As the summer slammed in, temps went up and I added the fan back. Performance change was unoticable, but temps were brought back down to under 160.

I love the Tekin for this factor alone and am glad that if/when I get to attend the Southern Nats that my ESC will now be legal. (I know my motor isnt, I keep a Ballistic in the box just incase). I also like the fact that I can adjust my ESC from my phone. I download the data when I get home. One less thing to take to the track.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #7540
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
For me I found I have to boost the "reverse" settings, even though reverse isn't actually used. Mopar- Greg got mine working pretty well.. strong brakes after that was sorted.
yeah, I heard that. I made the change but haven't had it on the track to give it a shot. also, think I had the wrong firmware, had the one the the capital NO, instead of the No version - which I have now
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #7541
Tech Initiate

Scott Bett, if you are lurking on this thread, PM me.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #7542
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
yeah, I heard that. I made the change but haven't had it on the track to give it a shot. also, think I had the wrong firmware, had the one the the capital NO, instead of the No version - which I have now
I never tried it until Greg threw his digi program box on it and we went through it all. Once reverse strength was notched up (again reverse itself disabled) it was a whole new deal in terms of brake strength. When I throw the binders on hard it stops, and the motor makes that "I don't like this" sound But yeah it's the way to go. I think I'm going to pull the fan off mine, the motor may need it in the summer but the esc isn't taking much of a hammering with a 25.5 strapped to it.