Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Speaking of trying to show off with real cars....

I owned a 67 Mustang Fastback in my twenties. Car was an okay daily runner.. It had a Ford 302 engine, but nothing special about it.

I was sitting at a red light late at night and an old VW Beetle pulls up next to me. I planned on doing a burn out when the light turned green and leaving them in a cloud of tire smoke. Well the light changes, I drop the clutch, and hear a loud boom at the rear end of my car. Not sure what happened, I was at least relieved to hear the engine still running (but no drive). At this point I notice the passengers in the Beetle pass me and I get a look at their laughing faces. Not a good moment for me.

I pull over to assess the damage. Looking back to the intersection, I notice a long piece of metal sitting in the road. I begin my walk of shame to retrieve it only to discover that it is my drive shaft. I broke a U-joint clip. Overall not the best moment in 'street racing' history, but one of the more embarrassing/funny moments in my life.

At least I still get to race 'muscle cars' in VTA. Thankfully I've never had the drive shaft fall out of my TC4 while racing r/c cars. Now I have had drive shaft issues on my TC3 when racing at the Indianapolis Major Taylor Velodrome, but that is another story...
Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mooby64
announcement?? Is there some sort of announcement we should be expecting?
um...yeah....kinda what i was thinking....is there going to be?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Our RD isn't holding his breath for a rule change announcement (at least I don't think he is). In the meantime, our club is going to continue racing VTA as we know it. Unless someone cries fowl that I'm still using a Justock (highly unlikely) I'll continue to enjoy this class and local club racing.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will let you all in on a little secret.......

For probably 90% of us, the upcoming changes will mean absolutely nothing in USVTA as we know it.

Ok, Ok, OK (in my best Joe Pesci voice) maybe 75% of us.

For most of us, your/our/their club is doing what's best for them anyway.

Have a great weekend wherever you may be racing and good luck to all my friends running in Florida
Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Our RD isn't holding his breath for a rule change announcement (at least I don't think he is). In the meantime, our club is going to continue racing VTA as we know it. Unless someone cries fowl that I'm still using a Justock (highly unlikely) I'll continue to enjoy this class and local club racing.
As he shouldn't, if your running under ROAR rules I don't think any change would have any effect on your program.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:41 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sounds to me as if the ROAR rules may be modified a bit towards USVTA direction. But then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding Eric's post.

Sure would be nice if we could come up with a way to have one set of rules governing this class. This is the coolest class in all of r/c on-road racing but the biggest issue/detraction/debate and so forth also rests with this class. I know it's beating a dead horse, but those of us in the "tourist state" are right in the thick of it. Frankly, it's getting old

ROAR Region 4 Championships - this weekend - Valkaria, FL - both USVTA & ROAR VTA classes are being offered.

ROAR On-Road Nats - July - Kissimmee, FL - ROAR VTA

My local track - Valkaria, FL - seems to be headed in the direction of classes for both USVTA and ROAR VTA

FSEARA - Florida State Series racing - ROAR VTA

Mike Boylan's Southern Oval Nationals - August - appears to be using USVTA rules to get these cars on the oval

Snowbird Nationals - unless there's a change for next year, USVTA rules.

Seriously, one set of nationally recognized rules....could eliminate the constant on and off with the chassis weights, battery mandates, motor mandates, and whether or not my Hobby Wing ESC is or will become an issue. Right now, I'm ordering 7600's (because I can) for the ROAR events. I just finished putting tungsten weights in my pit box for the USVTA events. And now, something else is about to be added to the mix that will certainly impact my racing. But hey....why should the rules change just to suit us down here.....I can hear that comment coming already. However, until you're living in this state, which has a ton of racing, which is also at crossroads seemingly for every event.....you have no idea of the hassle.

Sorry guys but this is about to push me over the edge....lol.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Like a secret password? Is it Code Orange?

C'mon C'mon!.... we are waiting !!!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ASM
Sounds to me as if the ROAR rules may be modified a bit towards USVTA direction. But then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding Eric's post.

Sure would be nice if we could come up with a way to have one set of rules governing this class. This is the coolest class in all of r/c on-road racing but the biggest issue/detraction/debate and so forth also rests with this class. I know it's beating a dead horse, but those of us in the "tourist state" are right in the thick of it. Frankly, it's getting old

ROAR Region 4 Championships - this weekend - Valkaria, FL - both USVTA & ROAR VTA classes are being offered.

ROAR On-Road Nats - July - Kissimmee, FL - ROAR VTA

My local track - Valkaria, FL - seems to be headed in the direction of classes for both USVTA and ROAR VTA

FSEARA - Florida State Series racing - ROAR VTA

Mike Boylan's Southern Oval Nationals - August - appears to be using USVTA rules to get these cars on the oval

Snowbird Nationals - unless there's a change for next year, USVTA rules.

Seriously, one set of nationally recognized rules....could eliminate the constant on and off with the chassis weights, battery mandates, motor mandates, and whether or not my Hobby Wing ESC is or will become an issue. Right now, I'm ordering 7600's (because I can) for the ROAR events. I just finished putting tungsten weights in my pit box for the USVTA events. And now, something else is about to be added to the mix that will certainly impact my racing. But hey....why should the rules change just to suit us down here.....I can hear that comment coming already. However, until you're living in this state, which has a ton of racing, which is also at crossroads seemingly for every event.....you have no idea of the hassle.

Sorry guys but this is about to push me over the edge....lol.
Don't step off the edge just yet Scott.

I do understand, personally that is, what you are going through. The upside for you down in the snowbird state, where my parents fly to from October-April, You have that much racing going on.

Over the years, as rules have changed for USVTA, some were ecstatic and some were not. Anytime something new was adopted the class as a whole was always looked at.

Believe me when I tell you, that Rob does not make these decisions lightly and is in contact with folks and tracks from California to the Carolina's as well as north and south.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd

For probably 90% of us, the upcoming changes will mean absolutely nothing in USVTA as we know it.

Ok, Ok, OK (in my best Joe Pesci voice) maybe 75% of us.

For most of us, your/our/their club is doing what's best for them anyway.

Have a great weekend wherever you may be racing and good luck to all my friends running in Florida
OK, so there is no longer a driver figure requirement in USVTA ... right?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragonracing
ill be trying not to break my car again right before the first qualifier. but i now have spares so ill be able to fix it. and not have to run the 6.1 spare car.
You run USVTA? Interesting..
Old 06-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
OK, so there is no longer a driver figure requirement in USVTA ... right?
Now we need a driver AND a co-driver/navigator.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Eric, the thought are certainly appreciated!!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ASM
Eric, the thought are certainly appreciated!!
Get off rctech and come race !!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Get off rctech and come race !!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yea what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ASM
Mike Boylan's Southern Oval Nationals - August - appears to be using USVTA rules to get these cars on the oval.
http://usvsc.webs.com - U.S. Vintage Stock Cars - Grand American Stock Cars. My idea(s) Runs "regular" USVTA rules, but allows for more body styles for short-track stock car racing on the oval. I think the only other change I added was slick tires and the stock car wheels.

Oh - and if anyone's interested....we'll be running the Grand American Stock Cars at the Third Annual Firecracker Classic next month at The Gate in Brunswick, OH: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=417048

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.