R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #7246
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

It's funny because I got out of my Yokomo SD, which was comparable to the TC4 in a lot of ways, but it seemed like I would enjoy something that would handle better and have a broader setup envelope. So I bought a Serpent S400. That lasted about a day since you couldn't get parts for it. So I moved back to the old Yokomo and ran it for several more years. I had to wait for parts to come from Japan, but at least I could get them. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a new chassis but money has been so tight. So I am going to try to run the unsupported snake using Tamiya 417 and TA05 suspension components.

Wish me luck.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #7247
DBM
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Posts: 523
Default

I finally ran my first vta (cta in Canada) race yesterday, using a spec-r s. It was way more fun than I thought it would be. Coming from 17.5 touring, the cta cars are a lot slower, but makes them easier to drive. My cheap old Spec-R was posting the same lap times as the xray/ serpent/tamiya 417 v5, so it is nice to know that $120 chassis is adequate for the class. Is definitely recommend the class to any noobs interested in getting into on road. The bodies look super cool too.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #7248
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
I finally ran my first vta (cta in Canada) race yesterday, using a spec-r s. It was way more fun than I thought it would be. Coming from 17.5 touring, the cta cars are a lot slower, but makes them easier to drive. My cheap old Spec-R was posting the same lap times as the xray/ serpent/tamiya 417 v5, so it is nice to know that $120 chassis is adequate for the class. Is definitely recommend the class to any noobs interested in getting into on road. The bodies look super cool too.
I'd say the "S" series (spec-r) is the best for VTA, a little extra weight and flex. Both are good for VTA. The class is perfect for a wide range of chassis to compete . I'm building an older Xray as a second car but I am also holding on to a TC3, which has been working fairly well for me.
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #7249
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,641
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

hi
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #7250
Tech Master
 
mikel33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,377
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
hi
Upping your post count again Myron?
__________________
Michael Larson.

yeah. i know.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #7251
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
hi
welcome back, Myron. you getting ready to post some big news about a certain race?? .
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #7252
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Yeah like if esc's will be opened up to more than just the 3 remaining ones left on the USVTA list.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #7253
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
Yeah like if esc's will be opened up to more than just the 3 remaining ones left on the USVTA list.
that's RobK - not darkside
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #7254
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

I was implying for Darksides megarace in September.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #7255
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I was wondering who sets their chassis up to have the longest wheelbase? Who likes it short and who just sets it up to match the fenders on the shell that they are running? I am needing a new shell, but I want to save my Protoform Firebird for a bigger race. So I unpacked this McAllister Mustang and it looks like there is a lot of lexan behind the rear wheel arch.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #7256
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I was wondering who sets their chassis up to have the longest wheelbase? Who likes it short and who just sets it up to match the fenders on the shell that they are running? I am needing a new shell, but I want to save my Protoform Firebird for a bigger race. So I unpacked this McAllister Mustang and it looks like there is a lot of lexan behind the rear wheel arch.
I've never considered McAllister shells to be proportionally-perfect (though they are very durable). I wouldn't get too radical on changing up your chassis in order to make it look "correct". If it handles well at this point just mount it up with the current wheelbase... get use to the feel of that shell first.
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #7257
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
I've never considered McAllister shells to be proportionally-perfect (though they are very durable). I wouldn't get too radical on changing up your chassis in order to make it look "correct". If it handles well at this point just mount it up with the current wheelbase... get use to the feel of that shell first.
They look pretty good during a race when they are zipping by and there is no chance to inspect them. They do hold up well against the abuse of racing, but proportion and precision are not quite what they are in the top two producers of VTA shells.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #7258
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
They look pretty good during a race when they are zipping by and there is no chance to inspect them. They do hold up well against the abuse of racing, but proportion and precision are not quite what they are in the top two producers of VTA shells.
I've tried a few different shells from Parma, Protoform, HPI, McAllister. Gotta' love the HPI '69 Camaro the most. I know they are everywhere you look and I resisted for a long time, but once I tried one I pretty much decided it's what I will mostly stick to. Pretty durable with the shoe-goo treatment, handles decent, looks killer. Maybe the biggest let down was the protoform firebird. Looks awesome but the nose got smashed up quick and I didn't really care for the handling. This is on a huge outdoor track. I think it does look the best out of them all though!
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #7259
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Too bad HPI doesn't make lightweight versions. I think then the 68 would be the ultimate choice!
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #7260
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
Too bad HPI doesn't make lightweight versions. I think then the 68 would be the ultimate choice!
I like the durability it has as-is. And I figure as heavy as you have to make these things, the shell is just another way to achieve the mark. Definitely like the 68 . My LHS has had no problem getting them.
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:01 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0