Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Anyone ever try "disconnecting" the front driveline and belts/shafts and try to run their car as a 2WD, especially on an oval? Or, is that not in the "spirit" of the rules, as the rules do NOT specifically say you can't do it? Just curious as to thoughts
Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Anyone ever try "disconnecting" the front driveline and belts/shafts and try to run their car as a 2WD, especially on an oval? Or, is that not in the "spirit" of the rules, as the rules do NOT specifically say you can't do it? Just curious as to thoughts
i'm sure you can probably do it, but the car won't handle anywhere as well as the 4wd version

plus, you'll have a ton of drag in the front end, unless you take apart the front CVDs to just have the axel parts in the knuckles...
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Tried it (by accident since I forgot some pins in the front diff) and the car pushed like a dump truck through the turns. Horrible handling. Bad idea.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
Which wheel is the lightest?
Out of all the HPI Racing VTA wheel choices, HPI p/n 3854 and 3858 Vintage Stock Car Wheels (pictured below) are the lightest. They are also the most fragile.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Out of all the HPI Racing VTA wheel choices, HPI p/n 3854 and 3858 Vintage Stock Car Wheels (pictured below) are the lightest. They are also the most fragile.
wow...fragile? I've never broke any wheels and I've been pretty much exclusively been running those wheels
Old 05-16-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Sweet thanks! Any idea how their weight compares to the 5 or 8 spoke wheels?
Old 05-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Yes, here are my observations:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/12541847-post5125.html
Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Great night of VTA racing on Friday at Indy RC on the southwest side of Indianapolis. Good turnout. I took this photo of my McAllister Trans Am body mounted on my Associated TC3 chassis.

Note: The domain is messed up right now at Indy RC. To get to their website, you need to use http://indyrc.homestead.com/

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-transamindyrcmay2014.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I saw a racer break the hub out on one her second battery ever. Got drilled by somebody else.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Will the ESC list or requirements ever actually get updated?

I just went over the list, and it appears there are really only 2 choices still in production. The Edge and the Justock. I was able to find a Reventon stock club race in stock at one place, but not on speedpassion's website.

I think it may actually really be time to open this up to roar blinky spec. Keep everything else the same, batteries, novak motors, tires, bodies, weight, etc.

Not trolling or trying to stir up crap this time. Just legitimately wondering about the future of the class for new racers.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a link on Speed Passion America online shop (USA) for their Reventon Stock Club race products. Looks like they have good online deals on their products.

http://www.speedpassion.net/shop/ind...%20club%20race

Looks like they are all combo units. I'm sure if someone contacted Speed Passion directly they could order just the speed control by itself.

I would also contact Harbor Hobbies (http://www.harbor-hobby.net/Contact-Us.html) in Winthrop Harbor, IL. Every time I've raced there they have had Speed Passion speed controls on the shelf.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

So I'm guessing by that price of the combo they are in sell out mode with those too.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Promodvette if you aren't trolling, then why in the past 60 days have you sold a EAM 5000 MAH VTA battery, a Novak Boss 25.5 motor, and a Hobbywing Justock Speed Control using the for sale forums on RCTECH? It is certainly possible that you are selling for many reasons (needed money, helping a friend, spare parts, etc.)

You have owned (or at least possessed) the electronics that could enable any good USVTA driver to make the A-main at any big USVTA race in the country (assuming good setup/driving). Yet you are wanting rules changes to allow ROAR blinky speed controls. Do you have a personal agenda or are you looking out for the best of the class nationally?

----------

On the other hand, we had great USVTA racing in Indianapolis this week. Indoor racing Friday night the top 6 cars were all on the same lap in the A-main. Several lead changes in the main. Outdoor parking lot racing today, top 5 cars were all on the same lap. Also multiple lead changes in the main.

There were old chassis, new chassis, different batteries, speed controls, bodies, etc and the cars were all close. There was lots of fun to be had. And the fastest lap both days was my TC4 running old batteries, speed control & motor.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Don't forget the Spec-R that was recently sold. TQ'd 2 out of 3 races it was last entered in.

Also, what you haven't seen is me purchasing a brand new motor, body, and tires Wednesday night at my local track. Can't beat the death of onroad in my state and everything onroad related being 50% off!!

I'm to the point of looking for a new ESC with only bad choices. I had the Edge... well 3 of them, 2 had to be replaced by Novak. I had the Justock. Both IMO are not good. I have a ORCA in my TC now. Would be nice to not have to spend money to buy another sub par ESC that would only be used for USVTA. I'm sure there are other TC racers out there that feel the same way.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
Don't forget the Spec-R that was recently sold. TQ'd 2 out of 3 races it was last entered in.

Also, what you haven't seen is me purchasing a brand new motor, body, and tires Wednesday night at my local track. Can't beat the death of onroad in my state and everything onroad related being 50% off!!

I'm to the point of looking for a new ESC with only bad choices. I had the Edge... well 3 of them, 2 had to be replaced by Novak. I had the Justock. Both IMO are not good. I have a ORCA in my TC now. Would be nice to not have to spend money to buy another sub par ESC that would only be used for USVTA. I'm sure there are other TC racers out there that feel the same way.
I'm not getting into the trolling vs non-trolling thing. But IMHO there is NOTHING wrong with the HW Justock for vta racing. I won many a local vta race, qualified 5th at the indoor champs in 2012, and won 1 of the triple crown vta races with with one. I'm not trying to brag by saying that because goodness knows there are many better racers out there, just trying to illustrate the potential of the speedo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.