R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #7111
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
And once its all said and done I bet the stock classes will be 1 or 2 motors that everybody runs. USVTA would be the same way, but with much less choices. I have heard the D3.5 25.5 motor is worthless, so there is one to knock off already. Besides VTA is much more about driving than the classes with motor power.
Not sure I agree with the D3.5 25.5 being worthless. I recently set TQ, and finished second (should have won), with the fastest lap, at fastest 5/10/15 lap averages at a state race using ROAR rules on a huge outdoor layout (Kissimmee, FL). The motor was very strong.

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #7112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Interesting... all of the ones I have heard about run were weak compared to Novaks.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #7113
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

FWIW I have a 25.5 D3.5 maxilla that is weak compared to my Novak Boss 25.5
Old 05-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #7114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

The D3.5 I ran was weaker compaired to the Novak on a tight carpet track. But then again I havent had time to play with timing and gearing.

The Novaks are strong motors, but think about, how many track hours do the Novaks have on them compaired to everyone else's. There has been a ton of people with lots of time to find that sweet spot. Therefore, even for a noob, its easy to get the Novak motor running like a champ. The others will take time. But with the others only being run in ROAR races... well you get the idea.

I do like a one motor rule. It keeps things simple and all the same tricks on making them faster will work for everyone.

But I am curious about something Novak did. They (from understanding of thing written on this thread) dropped the Ballistic line and made the Boss without any prior notice. This initially caused a bit of an uproar about what to do. Something had to be done as the older motors were discontinued. If this is the route Novak took, why not just make a Vulcan 25.5. Why drop your entire Ballistic line, save the VTA motor. Are the Vulcans that much better than the Ballistics?
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #7115
Tech Addict

I've been reading this thread for awhile, and find it interesting how some want to reinvent the wheel. WHY??
I've been racing RC Cars for over 25yrs, but am new to 1/10 scale electric.
I had NO idea of what class to run, let alone what equipment to buy.
With the help, and guidance from a few local racers, I built a USVTA car.
I've NEVER had more fun racing RC then I am NOW. The reason being, most guys in this class, are having fun, laughing on the drivers stand, and just enjoying themselves. It doesn't matter if your going 5mph, or 500mph, it's the competition that gets your interest.
The best part about USVTA is ALL the guess work is already done for me. I look at the rules, (simple), I write down ALL the part numbers I need, and proceed to purchase my items to go racing. when I get to the track, everyone is running the same STUFF.....
I go out on the track, and learn how much better my competitor's skills are compared to mine....
I go out, and practice, and fine tune my skills, and chassis, never once having to worry about my ESC, or Motor.
My learning curve has been fairly easy, and I see improvement every race.
The fast guys are still faster with the same equipment, but I am getting closer to their skill levels.
Now if I had to worry about Batteries, ESC, and Motors, it would be a different story!!!
Most of those that want to change this class seem to have more time/years in 1/10 scale RC Racing, and want more performance from their cars, and I get it.
In my opinion USVTA is a beginner class/novice/fun/spec Racing. If those that want to go faster, have more power, or have more choices, and make changes, stop and think for a minute, you will see that there are other classes for you to do that.
Why change a winning recipe????
So back to my original question, WHY do you want to change a FUN class instead of moving up to a class where you can do ALL the things you want to??
Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel???
I think it is in the best interest of RC to have this class as is...
Are you afraid of being a little fish in a big pond, or is it, you need to be a big fish in a little pond???

https://www.facebook.com/ValkariaRcraceway/
chiefj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #7116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

"The best part about USVTA is ALL the guess work is already done for me. I look at the rules, (simple)"

-except at this very moment, that is not entirely the case....

"Now if I had to worry about Batteries, ESC, and Motors, it would be a different story!!!"

-and at this very moment, with regards to "legal" esc's, you do. And it is...

"Why change a winning recipe????"

- great question! The HW & SP esc's have been a legal option, and I firmly believe the consensus is to keep it that way. Not one person, even from the "novak or nothing" camp, has complained or made a lot of noise in an attempt to ban it. User updates to profiles is nothing more than the imaginary "boogie-man" in this scenario.

"In my opinion USVTA is a beginner class/novice/fun/spec Racing."

- well, yes and no. it's an idealistic notion, but reality is that with most any class of racing that is popular and successful, things evolve. Competition is competition.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #7117
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
"The best part about USVTA is ALL the guess work is already done for me. I look at the rules, (simple)"

"In my opinion USVTA is a beginner class/novice/fun/spec Racing."

- well, yes and no. it's an idealistic notion, but reality is that with most any class of racing that is popular and successful, things evolve. Competition is competition.
Look I have no problems with debates, and they are a good way at seeing things from a different angle.

Bottom line, I've seen week after week of racing usvta that the fast guys are winning every weekend and not worried about any of the items listed in this thread. The top guys are running Novak esc and motors. They win with their skills, in any Class they race in!!!
The guys chasing them seem to be the ones that want change....

https://www.facebook.com/ValkariaRcraceway/
chiefj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #7118
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefj48 View Post
Look I have no problems with debates, and they are a good way at seeing things from a different angle.

Bottom line, I've seen week after week of racing usvta that the fast guys are winning every weekend and not worried about any of the items listed in this thread. The top guys are running Novak esc and motors. They win with their skills, in any Class they race in!!!

fast guys will always be fast. its always the mid-pack guys that have the issues, because they feel if they were faster (ie, chassis or motors or esc, batteries) then they could be competing.

and then spec-racing is always going to bring up huge debates because someone always feels they could be better (or the class could be better) with X equipment instead of Y equipment
Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #7119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefj48 View Post

And I'm right there with you . I do this for fun, and as budget permits. I run what I have and sometimes it goes my way, I break into the top three at a race... or sometimes I just break All of the "I want unlimited choices in motors, batteries, ect" discussions have been beat into the ground. The rules aren't changing in those regards, we all know this. The major issue at hand right now is that we have some ESC's that have been legal for some time, but soon may not be due to what equates to simple paranoia- and nothing more. And hey look! There is a Novak esc in question too. Doubt that one will get axed though. I have a HW because it was deemed legal and it is affordable. A brand new Novak is not in the cards at this time. Performance / speed difference between a Novak and a HW= ziltch. Speed added by changing a profile on a zero-timing esc= ziltch. Need to remove said esc, IMHO= ziltch. Same for the SP. I like the one motor only rule TBH. And the 5000 mah limit. Creates parity, it has worked for the class.