R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #7051
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
Word on the streets there is that there is old software that was not approved by ROAR and had to be fixed prior to that speedo being approved. I believe the fact that the Tekin can be backloaded with this software is the issue. I don't think there is any questionable HW software out there that anyone is aware of.
Thats not a problem or concern with the Tekin Spec, you cant backload any gen1 software into the Tekin SPEC, all you can upload is gen2 ZERO TIMING software ... just like the JUSTOCK

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #7052
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

The only grumbling I hear about (us Florida guys anyways!) is the use of Tekin RS esc's... and yeah it all seems to be connected to that magical blinky, but not actually "blinky" profile that slipped through at one point. Either way there seems to be a consensus that the RS is just a faster esc than anything else. But as for the HW, never have there been complaints. It's 2014. Any company looking to compete and survive is going to try to keep with the times.... profile updates is just one of those things. Novak is in a position where they have the USVTA crowd firmly behind them, and loyal followers from years past that just want to run that brand regardless of features. For everyone else, they have to appeal to more than just the VTA crowd. Now, if it can ever be shown or proven that some "voodoo/cheater/boosted/outlaw" profile was ever created, then fine. I'll take the thing out and call it a loss. But at this point it's only imaginary smoke and no fire. I love USVTA racing and it got me back into on-road a few years back. Lower costs was part of that appeal. HW has been a great option for me and others, I for one hope that a hasty decision is not made because of paranoia.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #7053
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
The Speed Passion is programable too. It even comes with a programing card. In fact its software is almost identical to that if the hobbywing.
Well, Parameters can be changed with the program card, yes - just like the blinken lights on the Novaks. The Speed Passion won't take new firmware though. The software that connects to the programming card greys out the SP Stock Club Race ESC as a choice in the Windows software.

But as long as we're talking about the "possibility" of someone hacking software, I'm sure someone could figure out how to "hack" the SP Windows software too and bypass it to load whatever they want. So I guess a ban would be in order here too.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #7054
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwilliams1 View Post

But as long as we're talking about the "possibility" of someone hacking software, I'm sure someone could figure out how to "hack" the SP Windows software too and bypass it to load whatever they want. So I guess a ban would be in order here too.
If someone has the tools and knowledge to hack a esc then why limit it to tekin hw & sp ?? novak, lrp ... all would be hackable, but WHY ?? were playing with toy cars for bowling trophies at best

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #7055
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Wow you forgot the post I put up a couple days ago saying I didn't approve it for over a year because I didn't forget the software could be changed. So then, in a moment of weakness, I thought it would be ok. So of course, this decision has now bit me in the ass.

I don't know that this has "bitten you in the ass". The Hobbywing hasn't had any issues at all. It's still a good call as near as I can tell. There's an affordable, high quality ESC choice available now because of that call.

Approving the Tekin is a different story. You have a legitimate issue where Tekin released a version of the software that blinked the light, indicating sportsman profile, but actually allowed boost and timing to be changed. That's a real world thing that happened that casts doubt on this product. Sure, it sucks for Tekin fans, and I'm sure Tekin has corrected it, but I don't see why one manufacturer's mistake casts suspicion on a completely different speedo that has a good track record.

Using the blanket reason "because it's updateable", I think, is the issue. It throws a bunch of speedos under the bus - without any real proof of a problem. IF we're going to rule out things on potential, instead of real, abuse, maybe that means we need to go to sealed endbells too.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #7056
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
So, if I set someone's motor, then can I call it "slow tuned"? At least that's what the kid tells me, "dad, your slow" :-)

I let my son pick which of our cars to run. He used to think I was keeping the fast one for myself. Fact is I needed the fast one to equal is ability to drive better.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-image.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #7057
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
shoot me your pics if you want - I'll post them up for you

joe@southwesttour.com
I sent you some pics of my car. Thank you very much for the offer.
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #7058
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I am waiting to hear from one of the powers that be about the fear of the hobbywing. Not listenening to "word on the street." Also as regards to the Tekin, its fact they had a software that roar didnt approve, but that was years ago, and unlikely that many people still have it.
its not just old sw thats the issue....Tekin listed 249 I believe as being ROAR approved on their website when it never was. They now have 250 that is ROAR approved. Was there a problem with 249 that it was never approved yet listed and sold in ESC's as "legal" software? See this is where the trouble with tekin comes in from what I have witnessed on the web so far. The problem as I see it is with people just turning a blind eye to the fact of what happened just because they want a Tekin. I personally like some of the features of the Tekin but I understand why its not approved.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #7059
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Approving the Tekin is a different story. You have a legitimate issue where Tekin released a version of the software that blinked the light, indicating sportsman profile, but actually allowed boost and timing to be changed. That's a real world thing that happened that casts doubt on this product. Sure, it sucks for Tekin fans, and I'm sure Tekin has corrected it, but I don't see why one manufacturer's mistake casts suspicion on a completely different speedo that has a good track record.
the issue with that version of the tekin software, was that its 'blinky' setting was not what was outlined/defined as what 'blinky' was supposed to be. not that you can add boost to it - technically, it had some boost factored in, but you could not adjust it anymore.

I was a team driver for tekin at the time when this all happened - and it was quickly identified (by another manufacturer) and corrected by tekin. matter of fact, the next hotwire version purposely uninstalled the bad hotwire instead of allowing you to keep both version however, slick people could backload that bad version on the gen1.

I know that's not the point of this conversation, but I just wanted to provide clarity.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #7060
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
the issue with that version of the tekin software, was that its 'blinky' setting was not what was outlined/defined as what 'blinky' was supposed to be. not that you can add boost to it - technically, it had some boost factored in, but you could not adjust it anymore.

I was a team driver for tekin at the time when this all happened - and it was quickly identified (by another manufacturer) and corrected by tekin. matter of fact, the next hotwire version purposely uninstalled the bad hotwire instead of allowing you to keep both version however, slick people could backload that bad version on the gen1.

I know that's not the point of this conversation, but I just wanted to provide clarity.
Clarity is always appreciated! Thanks for the update. It's always better to know what we're talking about when it comes to rules
Old 05-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #7061
Tech Rookie

I'm building my first VTA car. I bought a used Novak GTB2 and Ballistic 25.5 motor. After installing the motor/ESC in my TC6 and turn it on, I notice the white LED on the ESC is blinking when the throttle is in neutral. Is that supposed to happen?
Abendor79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #7062
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abendor79 View Post
I'm building my first VTA car. I bought a used Novak GTB2 and Ballistic 25.5 motor. After installing the motor/ESC in my TC6 and turn it on, I notice the white LED on the ESC is blinking when the throttle is in neutral. Is that supposed to happen?
Yes, totally normal. This is what is meant when we say a speed control is in "blinky" mode. It means the software is set to ROAR sportsman mode with no extra timing.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #7063
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Yes, totally normal. This is what is meant when we say a speed control is in "blinky" mode. It means the software is set to ROAR sportsman mode with no extra timing.
Ahh, so my GTB2 is in "blinky" mode. So if my friend's GTB2 does not have a white LED blinking when in neutral, does that mean he has boost in his car?
Abendor79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #7064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Ahh, so my GTB2 is in "blinky" mode. So if my friend's GTB2 does not have a white LED blinking when in neutral, does that mean he has boost in his car?
check out this tuning guide that's for the GTB2.. the flashing white doesn't indicate 'blinky' mode, since this speedo is ALWAYS in blinky

if you didn't get a manual, you should be able to download it from Novak's site
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Novak_GTB2_TrackGuide.pdf (410.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #7065
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:

welcome aboard always nice to have new vta racers .