Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
The Speed Passion is programable too. It even comes with a programing card. In fact its software is almost identical to that if the hobbywing.
The phrase "it's novak or nothing" is starting to come to mind...

Doing this VTA thing on the cheap has been part of the attraction to the class. I truly hope the HW is not eliminated from the picture .
Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
USVTA baning the Justock has nothing to do with ROAR, RobK/KevinK posted that the TEKIN SPEC will not be legal because the user can update the software(non-timing only).
Maybe they forgot the Justock they made legal 2 years ago has the same option ... so now they want to ban it.

Go back a few pages and you will find the discusion.
Wow you forgot the post I put up a couple days ago saying I didn't approve it for over a year because I didn't forget the software could be changed. So then, in a moment of weakness, I thought it would be ok. So of course, this decision has now bit me in the ass.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So what is the true fear about having fixed timing but updatable esc? Obviously the HW has been like this for sometime and there have been no problems. I want to say now that I am not asking the Tekin be approved, that ship has sailed. But with the others it has not shown to be an issue. And as someone else pointed out, if the HW had a hack, it would have been exploited by so many people by now that it would haved been banned by all organzations a long time ago. So why all of the concern now?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

So what is the true fear about having fixed timing but updatable esc? Obviously the HW has been like this for sometime and there have been no problems. I want to say now that I am not asking the Tekin be approved, that ship has sailed. But with the others it has not shown to be an issue. And as someone else pointed out, if the HW had a hack, it would have been exploited by so many people by now that it would haved been banned by all organzations a long time ago. So why all of the concern now?
Word on the streets there is that there is old software that was not approved by ROAR and had to be fixed prior to that speedo being approved. I believe the fact that the Tekin can be backloaded with this software is the issue. I don't think there is any questionable HW software out there that anyone is aware of.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

^
^^
^^^
^
^
Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

let me ask. one question. IS the hobbywing just stock esc legal for usvta or not. both my black and blue are unmolested with software from the factory. not planning to upgrade either. simple yes or no will suffice. im kinda confused with all the chatter on here. i would like to make both my vta cars legal for roar and usvta. thank you.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

As of right now, it's legal.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

cool. i hope it does not change. i would like to have my cars legal for the usvta. if i had to go buy yet another esc to make it legal i would not and just race roar rules. i sincerely hope it stays legal.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yea it'd be kind jacked up, like if ROAR approved something and then randomly unapproved it.

Oh wait...
Old 05-07-2014, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

+1
Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am not planning on getting rid of my HW esc i like it . it works better than the novak escs and holds up .
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I am waiting to hear from one of the powers that be about the fear of the hobbywing. Not listenening to "word on the street." Also as regards to the Tekin, its fact they had a software that roar didnt approve, but that was years ago, and unlikely that many people still have it.

But concern and fear that someone might do this shouldnt prevent the HW from being on the list. There are very easy ways to check the pragram version. Plug it in the a laptop. It tells you on the first page the version that is loaded. With the Tekin its even easier, plug a hot wire into almost anything but an iphone to get the software version.

I dont see or hear about motors getting torn apart to check rotor diameter, and stator wire count. I used to see that kind of stuff on a regular basis with the old stock brushed motors. Also the timing sticker can be fairly easily tampered with.

The point im trying to make is no matter what is decide, those that want to cheat will find a way. Its
stupid, but they will do it.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:33 AM
Tech Regular

I am waiting to hear from one of the powers that be about the fear of the hobbywing. Not listenening to "word on the street." Also as regards to the Tekin, its fact they had a software that roar didnt approve, but that was years ago, and unlikely that many people still have it.

But concern and fear that someone might do this shouldnt prevent the HW from being on the list. There are very easy ways to check the pragram version. Plug it in the a laptop. It tells you on the first page the version that is loaded. With the Tekin its even easier, plug a hot wire into almost anything but an iphone to get the software version.

I dont see or hear about motors getting torn apart to check rotor diameter, and stator wire count. I used to see that kind of stuff on a regular basis with the old stock brushed motors. Also the timing sticker can be fairly easily tampered with.

The point im trying to make is no matter what is decide, those that want to cheat will find a way. Its
stupid, but they will do it.
Boy, I do agree that those that cheat will find a way to do it. It's sad that racers just "have to cheat" to get that "almighty 1st place position" so that they can try to strut there stuff or impress fellow racers........ which to me is a big turnoff. I get absolutely no satisfaction out of cheating just to put said person above everyone. My local hobby track used to have good turnouts quite a lot. But now were lucky to have enough racers show up to count on two hands. Word of mouth travels very quickly amongst racers in these situations. Nobody has fun or wants to be around cheaters, or the way I call it.....class killers.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is the Vegas software even loadable on the spec Tekin? After all it is a different generation of esc. I understand that there was a parameter set and a speedo got by that violates the criteria, and now it looks like the Speed Passion is that way as well, but it seems that there have not been any issues with these ESC and they have been out for some time. I say hold the line and don't ban them until or unless they end up giving issues.

Not wanting to risk any more bites on RobK's backside, perhaps the Tekin could have a probationary approval, and any that purchase it for USVTA must understand that it may be banned at any time. All of this on the table, it would be your own risk to buy the Tekin.
We are all in this together. We do want to protect the class and do what is best for it and not just promote our favorite brand of speedo. I am not asking for this, but I think it would be a plausible option. You will not hurt my feelings if you don't agree at all.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:07 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

My Novak Edge bit the dust about 6wks back and I purchased a HW mainly because of the $49 price tag and because I hadn't used anything other than a Novak Edge or GTB2 for this class. I also bought the programming box because this unit is more of a pain to count blinking light than the Novak. I'm also pleased with the small size and the fan on the unit to help battle the extreme heat and track temps I'll be seeing in a couple of months.

Kinda hate to see this type of issue coming up at this point. But a boosted VTA car...that ought to be pretty obvious...LOL.

I can appreciate the premise on which it was first approved and still believe it was the right decision. I also believe that if a yet to be approved speedo became an unfair advantage, the masses here would certainly cry foul pretty quickly and action could be taken at that time. Just my .02..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.