R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #7006
Tech Master
 
IndyHobbies.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 1,866
Default

So, here's a guy on ebay selling a "Pro Tuned" Novak Ballistic 25.5 motor. What kind of stuff does a "Pro" do to their "stock" 25.5 in order to tune it and make it faster than the rest of us? Or, is this guy full o bologna?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
__________________
Airbrushing Projects: www.indyhobbies.com/Airbrushing.html
"If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough." – Parnelli Jones
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #7007
Tech Master
 
cdwilliams1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 1,055
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage9270 View Post
I think the last I heard on this was that it would be removed from the list for the mere fact that it can be flashed. I guess the smart ones can figure out how to "alter" or "back flash" them with settings other than default without anyone else being the wiser. Kinda sucks.

But nothing official yet I don't think.
Agreed. Since this speedo has been out for years, If someone had managed to "hack" it, we all would know about it by now.
__________________
I race at www.mncarpetoval.com !
cdwilliams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #7008
Tech Elite
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,280
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
I still don't get why the Justock is being debated. Sure, the firmware can be updated, but it's still only no timing software.
I think the question is: Who checks to make sure it really is zero-timing software?

I don't expect that HobbyWing would knowingly "fudge" things, as they seem to be honorable people, but mistakes do occasionally happen.

Actually, I was very surprised when it was first added to the list, as all the other ESCs on the list were non-updateable.

Maybe Rob will consider keeping it on the list, at least for a reasonable time, if it is used with the original software (which I believe someone mentioned was "V1"?).
__________________
Howard Cano
When race results are re-calculated using the IOF (Index Of Fun), I always win.
1993 ROAR 1/8 Pan National Champion
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #7009
Tech Elite
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,280
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
So, here's a guy on ebay selling a "Pro Tuned" Novak Ballistic 25.5 motor. What kind of stuff does a "Pro" do to their "stock" 25.5 in order to tune it and make it faster than the rest of us? Or, is this guy full o bologna?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
The "Pro" driver adjusted the timing on the endbell for him. Presto! "Pro Tuned".

One of my Denver racing buddies used to buy a random, cheap used car, fix whatever was wrong, set it up, then blow everybody into the weeds with it. It was almost entirely due to the driver (he was TQ two years in a row at the 1/8 scale gas nats), but he always managed to find somebody to buy the car at a substantial profit. Then he'd go and buy a different car, and repeat the process.
__________________
Howard Cano
When race results are re-calculated using the IOF (Index Of Fun), I always win.
1993 ROAR 1/8 Pan National Champion
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #7010
Tech Master
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,941
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I watched the video of Paul Lemieux and his 5 daub method. This led to two questions: Ids that a regular blue shop towel, like the one from Scott's and, would the threaded VTA ties not tear up this blue shop towel?
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #7011
ASM
Tech Master
 
ASM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 1,190
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
It's a tough one Pete, and I wish we were all running USVTA exclusively here in Florida. I for one have kept to those rules. Problem is we are never going to "win" the war vs. the long-standing fseara / roar crowd. I have two cars right now and I'm pretty sure one of them is going to be end up being a roar VTA chassis. Running at full throttle raceway against the roar cars is not easy.... Maybe it is mostly those of us from the Florida camp bringing up the weight issue but it is no surprise as to why. I guess in the "perfect world" USVTA would drop the weight 100g, and ROAR would agree to run a 5000 mah limit on batteries, and we would be much closer to each other. Less fighting and moaning (it gets heated, doesn't it?).

So.... this HW thing. Where does that topic stand? Is a non-timing (fixed zero) capable esc going to be axed?
...and to add the icing to the VTA cake, we now have the ROAR on-road nats being held in Kissimmee, Florida

Regardless of rules, I will be there...even @ $85/class
__________________
Scott Meeks

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #7012
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I watched the video of Paul Lemieux and his 5 daub method. This led to two questions: Ids that a regular blue shop towel, like the one from Scott's and, would the threaded VTA ties not tear up this blue shop towel?
Yes, it is one of the "scott" type towel. No, it will not tear up the towel.

It will work for both carpet and asphalt even though on asphalt we really do not have to worry about "build up".
__________________
Team Novak,Gravity RC,
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #7013
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
So, here's a guy on ebay selling a "Pro Tuned" Novak Ballistic 25.5 motor. What kind of stuff does a "Pro" do to their "stock" 25.5 in order to tune it and make it faster than the rest of us? Or, is this guy full o bologna?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
So, if I set someone's motor, then can I call it "slow tuned"? At least that's what the kid tells me, "dad, your slow" :-)
__________________
Team Novak,Gravity RC,
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #7014
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
I think the question is: Who checks to make sure it really is zero-timing software?

I don't expect that HobbyWing would knowingly "fudge" things, as they seem to be honorable people, but mistakes do occasionally happen.

Actually, I was very surprised when it was first added to the list, as all the other ESCs on the list were non-updateable.

Maybe Rob will consider keeping it on the list, at least for a reasonable time, if it is used with the original software (which I believe someone mentioned was "V1"?).
The real question should be, how does this really effect it's use for ROAR classes and events, not just for US/VTA use?

If a firmware "upgrade" was released, should it not have had to of been sent in for approval so the Justock kept it's approved ESC status?
__________________
Team Novak,Gravity RC,
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #7015
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM View Post
...and to add the icing to the VTA cake, we now have the ROAR on-road nats being held in Kissimmee, Florida

Regardless of rules, I will be there...even @ $85/class
Will there be a VTA class at the ROAR on-road nats this year?
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BananaRaceway/
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #7016
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Will there be a VTA class at the ROAR on-road nats this year?
I really hope so

We should get a great VTA turnout for that event.
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #7017
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #7018
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chi-Town West Burbs
Posts: 1,236
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
So, if I set someone's motor, then can I call it "slow tuned"? At least that's what the kid tells me, "dad, your slow" :-)
Hey Eric, thanks again for "Slow Tuning" my VTA motors.
__________________
Goal Achieved....Not Dead Last.
mooby64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #7019
Tech Elite
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,280
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
The real question should be, how does this really effect it's use for ROAR classes and events, not just for US/VTA use?

If a firmware "upgrade" was released, should it not have had to of been sent in for approval so the Justock kept it's approved ESC status?
Not necessarily. I don't know much about the Justock, and have never used one, so let's create a hypothetical situation:

A manufacturer releases a new ESC, and has it approved by ROAR. Later, the manufacturer releases a new version of software to add features for crawling. The manufacturer may decide to not submit the new software to ROAR, since there is already a software version that racers can legally use at ROAR events.

This puts the onus on the tech inspectors to verify that the correct software is used at ROAR events.

Of course, none of this affects USVTA, and I hope everyone forgives me for this quick diversion from the subject of the thread.
__________________
Howard Cano
When race results are re-calculated using the IOF (Index Of Fun), I always win.
1993 ROAR 1/8 Pan National Champion
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #7020
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Thanks for posting
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:24 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0