Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 05-05-2014, 05:32 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
There are drift cars that are purposely built like that with the weight laid out like a real car motor in front RWD. I think they drift well, but I doubt that they would handle at all. If I had the money I would build a VTA ride on that layout, just to test it.

On the VTA Florida conundrum, I feel your pain. I am sure that many racers keep gear around to go either way. I also think that the USVTA rules keep sponsored drivers involvement at a reduced level by limiting the use of gear. That may or not be intended. Also, fully legal cars do just fine at ROAR events.
Snoopy thanks for the thoughts. Yes, you are correct, often a USVTA car is just as fast.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
There are drift cars that are purposely built like that with the weight laid out like a real car motor in front RWD. I think they drift well, but I doubt that they would handle at all. If I had the money I would build a VTA ride on that layout, just to test it.

On the VTA Florida conundrum, I feel your pain. I am sure that many racers keep gear around to go either way. I also think that the USVTA rules keep sponsored drivers involvement at a reduced level by limiting the use of gear. That may or not be intended. Also, fully legal cars do just fine at ROAR events.
Snoop you NAILED IT !!!!!
As for the Florida conundrum the problem I see is MUTE !!!!!
To many cooks in the kitchen ...... Is the best way I can put it .
Old 05-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
Just a thought - maybe the ROAR VTA faithful need their own thread...
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

I agree. Squash any dissenting opinions. It is must more enlightening when everyone is of one mind.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Please excuse the noob question. Feel free to direct me to the correct entry in the thread, etc. I've been running used tires since I started in VTA. Just ran my first set of brand new shoes. I was less than impressed. I cleaned them a couple of times with a 50% concentration of Simple Green and let them soak in traction compound for about 20 minutes before the run. How do others prep a brand new set of VTA tires for their first run (or two, or three, etc)?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Im just wondering what ROAR rules are you guys using down in FL? From what I understand ROAR only has rules for 21.5 VTA. ROAR does not have any rules for 25.5 motors or even approve any 25.5 motors at this time. So what rules are you guys following if you are using 25.5 motors?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Please excuse the noob question. Feel free to direct me to the correct entry in the thread, etc. I've been running used tires since I started in VTA. Just ran my first set of brand new shoes. I was less than impressed. I cleaned them a couple of times with a 50% concentration of Simple Green and let them soak in traction compound for about 20 minutes before the run. How do others prep a brand new set of VTA tires for their first run (or two, or three, etc)?
The latest sets of tires seem to break in really quickly and dont need much prep work from what I have seen. Now I just run them a few times and they are good to go out of the package. Buggy Grip works good to break in new tires also letting the compound soak long and apply it twice has worked well for me on newer new tires.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you, sir! Greatly appreciated.

I've been using SXT 3.0, if that matters.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

First rule of USVTA. You dont talk about USVTA.

His name is robert paulson... his name is robert paulson

All kidding aside I would sincerely like to apollogize for the tone of some of my previous post over the last couple of days. Been in a bad mood and this was onenof the outlets. Thank you to that that gave a little support, and thank you to those that responded to my questions. Some I liked, some just kept fueling the fire. Again, sorry about that, but it was fun wasn't it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
I agree. Squash any dissenting opinions. It is must more enlightening when everyone is of one mind.
Providing each group their own forum wouldn't squash all dissent. Both sides would still be left with plenty of rules to debate. However, one side attempting to convince the other that their way is the better way tends to be counterproductive.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Nut, from what the guys at BRR have been saying, dont use simple green. Once I stopped, my tires got alot better. It causes them to balloon out (from what ive been told). I started using electrical contact cleaner, or traction compound to clean them. The simple greennleft a sticky residue on them also. As for as break in time for me it was usually a couple race days worth of heats and practice before the tires came around. I wish my USGT tires broke in that quick. I also store my tires in a ziplock bag with a coat of traction compound on them. This helps to prevent them from drying out.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you, sir. I'd noticed the used sets I've been running getting stickier throughout the day. I'll give your suggestions a shot.

Scott
Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Thank you, sir! Greatly appreciated.

I've been using SXT 3.0, if that matters.
Thats what I run 90% of the time

Lighter fluid works good to clean tires without drying them out it will keep the traction up in the tire. If you use motor spray to clean the tire most times that takes away a little traction cause it tends to dry them out. IMO simple green can do some strange things at times so I stopped using it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Angry

You know what guys the sad part of this is Florida has some of the fastest
Racers .BUT we will never know WHO IS THE BEST USVTA racer in the state
Until the guys that want to keep changing s#|+ can just make the commitment
And race the class the way is was ment to be raced

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.