Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #6961
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
+1
Try posting your suggestions in this thread-->PROTOform Race Bodies

It can get the attention of the Epp Family (owners of PROTOform). Also if you can get your hands on a scale model (e.g. smaller die-cast model or plastic model) of the car you are interested in and send it to Eric Epp, it will surely help him with making a CAD model in his computer. That's how the PROTOform 1971 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am was created.
Just left my suggestion for the 67 dodge dart
Old 05-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #6962
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New to VTA

Hello I'm brand new to on-road and VTA. Just got. Club TC4 and fished putting it together with a Mcallister 1969 Mustang Body and Novak electronics. Can't wait to race it. I went to the local track and drove it for the first time and had a blast. Has the track to myself for a hour. Never drove on-road before but man was it fun.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as setups go for the Club TC4. I looked around RC Tech and did not see any. I may have overlooked it. Any suggestions would be great. Thank You and I plan on being around this class for a long time. Looks like a lot of fun.
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #6963
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14 View Post
I dont believe i said anything about "magically" appearing.I simply said i would most likely return to vta if a dart were to be made..I didnt say i want my tc3 to weigh less or my trinity motor to be legal, or my tekin rs spec or my 9000 c lipo
I meant the bodies...sorry if it didn't read that way

and when I said 'magically' I meant some body manufacturer, or a one-off startup, just 'decided' to release a body without any begging from racers

that's all I meant
Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #6964
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleKan View Post
Hello I'm brand new to on-road and VTA. Just got. Club TC4 and fished putting it together with a Mcallister 1969 Mustang Body and Novak electronics. Can't wait to race it. I went to the local track and drove it for the first time and had a blast. Has the track to myself for a hour. Never drove on-road before but man was it fun.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as setups go for the Club TC4. I looked around RC Tech and did not see any. I may have overlooked it. Any suggestions would be great. Thank You and I plan on being around this class for a long time. Looks like a lot of fun.
There are a couple good setups here-->http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a...anuals_setups/

The best setup for VTA will be Myron Battman Kinnard's 2013 USVTA Southern Nats setup.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #6965
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
I meant the bodies...sorry if it didn't read that way

and when I said 'magically' I meant some body manufacturer, or a one-off startup, just 'decided' to release a body without any begging from racers

that's all I meant
No problems
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #6966
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:

Hey Rattlecan -

INDYRCRACER I believe runs the TC4's really regular back in INDY - and he's probably got some great info for you...

Give him good info about the tracks (surface type, etc) and I'm sure he'll be good to give you info...
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #6967
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have seen this several times now. A few on here have been running VTA as USVTA since the organization was born others only a few weeks, or just a couple of months. What happens is those that are fresh on the scene ask questions or challenge the rules that have already survived multiple exchanges of ugly commentary on this very thread. Those of us who have been here longer grow more intolerant of challenges or sometimes just questions. Moaning out a, "Here we go again." The newer you are to all this, the more likely you are to say, "All he did was ask a question." We all know that everyone is new sometime. And I guess it is easier to ask a dead horse question than to read through this thread, but that will get you defensive answers from those who have been here a while and like it like it is. We are snarky for a reason, and we have been through this dozens of times. All of it. There is hardly anything someone could ask that hasn't been thoroughly covered.

The unpleasant exchange that has covered the last dozen pages is something that just happens on occasion in threads like this. It would be enough to turn racers away from the class in its entirety and maybe it does, but it shouldn't. Because when you get to the track you find that the forum makes little difference. Once you spread that towel out it's all about wrenching and racing, and fun with friends.
Don't base your opinions about this class on the last twelve pages. The race days do not reflect this poison. This is true for big races and small.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #6968
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
There are a couple good setups here-->

The best setup for VTA will be Myron Battman Kinnard's 2013 USVTA Southern Nats setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Hey Rattlecan -

INDYRCRACER I believe runs the TC4's really regular back in INDY - and he's probably got some great info for you...

Give him good info about the tracks (surface type, etc) and I'm sure he'll be good to give you info...
Thank you both very much for the info. I tried to put pictures on here last night but I got an error message that stated I hadn't met the requirement as far as number of post on this forum. I will be sharing photos of my USVTA TC4 - 69 Mustang soon.
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #6969
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I have seen this several times now. A few on here have been running VTA as USVTA since the organization was born others only a few weeks, or just a couple of months. What happens is those that are fresh on the scene ask questions or challenge the rules that have already survived multiple exchanges of ugly commentary on this very thread. Those of us who have been here longer grow more intolerant of challenges or sometimes just questions. Moaning out a, "Here we go again." The newer you are to all this, the more likely you are to say, "All he did was ask a question." We all know that everyone is new sometime. And I guess it is easier to ask a dead horse question than to read through this thread, but that will get you defensive answers from those who have been here a while and like it like it is. We are snarky for a reason, and we have been through this dozens of times. All of it. There is hardly anything someone could ask that hasn't been thoroughly covered.

The unpleasant exchange that has covered the last dozen pages is something that just happens on occasion in threads like this. It would be enough to turn racers away from the class in its entirety and maybe it does, but it shouldn't. Because when you get to the track you find that the forum makes little difference. Once you spread that towel out it's all about wrenching and racing, and fun with friends.
Don't base your opinions about this class on the last twelve pages. The race days do not reflect this poison. This is true for big races and small.
Agreed! Race days with VTA are very fun and laid back racing.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #6970
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Thank you both very much for the info. I tried to put pictures on here last night but I got an error message that stated I hadn't met the requirement as far as number of post on this forum. I will be sharing photos of my USVTA TC4 - 69 Mustang soon
shoot me your pics if you want - I'll post them up for you

joe@southwesttour.com
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #6971
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post

Snoopy - well said....and certainly understood.

Let me try to be brief on this; here in Florida, where my self, Mopar SRT, fermanracer, and rcpaintinpete pete reside and race, we are in a unique quandary. For those who don't know, Florida is home to the longest continual running on-road series in the country which is now in its' 35th year if I'm n ot mistaken. This is a ROAR series that runs the state with 7 different races in the season. One of the classes, yep, VTA - using ROAR rules.

Now this causes issue with the diehard USVTA guys. Let me remind you that so-called club races have to choose a set of rules for this class but basically all the clubs, or race facilities also hold one of these previously mentioned state races under ROAR rules. When making a decision of what rule set is going to be used, one faction (ROAR) or the other (USVTA) is going to be upset. There certainly seems to be no common ground. Selfishly or not, the plight for raising questions such as weight with this USVTA crowd is only an attempt for us to find common ground. It's more like a plea for help - lol. We have many racers, and some very good ones too but there seems to be little give and take by either side. In fact, VTA is spilt as a whole in our state. It dominates every race discussion, and every event. Visit the Florida thread every now and then and you'll see what I mean.

Please remember, many sedan racers in this ROAR series are looking for a 2nd or 3RD class to run. So, they're into using a newer chassis, blinky speedos, any brand motor (because some are sponsored), and batteries that they can borrow from the sedan racing (7200/7300's). To put USVTA equipment in their cars doesn't make a lot of sense. So, they lobby ROAR rules at any race possible and usually decline to race USVTA run rules at those races.

Hardcore USVTA guys want just the opposite. So, what we have is a division and it's starting to turn off many of the racers. The arguing is relentless. Oh, and there are some of these guys who decline to run any races under the ROAR rules.

Our ROAR Region 4 Championship, being held at my local track will host VTA as an official class using ROAR rules.....but will also be hosting a USVTA rules class as the track/promoter's class. How about that? This is basically to satisfy everyone.

So, before foolishly suggesting that some on here run another class, or to quit whining, please make sure you think before you speak. We have a much different problem here than I believe anyone else does...or at least that I've heard mentioned. We seem to me in the midst of an "us vs. them"....and we're all losing.

Lastly, now I have 2 VTA cars, one of which is fully USVTA compliant and another that meets ROAR specs, using a 7200mah (specially obtained from a Trinity driver) and a custom built Trinity D3.5 also obtained from the driver's connection. Tell me this doesn't defeat the whole purpose of the class. Understand several races are held on very large outdoor tracks, so every little bit helps.

BTW - Mopar SRT owns racevta.com and is a big supporter of this class as a whole....just so you know....

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116

Last edited by ASM; 05-05-2014 at 04:10 PM.
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #6972
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

has anybody thought of or tried racing these in true scale being rwd only? easy to do with all the different chassis available. just remove the front belt or the driveshaft. might be a fun class to try out. just an idea. dont hash me too hard. lol. thoughts?

Think about it. are any of these cars really 4wd? it might be fun to try it. just to see how they handle as an experimental class.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #6973
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

4wd TC's dont handle or drive very well with one or the other belt removed. If that were the case, compainies that make font wheel drive cars as well as 4wd, would probably just remove a belt instead of spending alot of money on r&d for a seperate car.

Its all about weight transfer and traction. In their current design, just having RWD would not allow enough traction to drive very good. Not to say it wouldnt be managable, but probably not fun.
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #6974
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There are drift cars that are purposely built like that with the weight laid out like a real car motor in front RWD. I think they drift well, but I doubt that they would handle at all. If I had the money I would build a VTA ride on that layout, just to test it.

On the VTA Florida conundrum, I feel your pain. I am sure that many racers keep gear around to go either way. I also think that the USVTA rules keep sponsored drivers involvement at a reduced level by limiting the use of gear. That may or not be intended. Also, fully legal cars do just fine at ROAR events.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #6975
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
has anybody thought of or tried racing these in true scale being rwd only?
Yes, but not intentionally. I broke a front belt and didn't have time to change it for the main, so I ran rear-wheel-drive. It was entertaining, but not something I would do all the time.

It took some finesse on the throttle out of the slower corners, and the brakes were pretty much useless if dialed down to the point where the rear wheels didn't lock. It was ultimately quicker (but much more difficult to drive) if the brakes were left at 100% and quickly tapped to throw the car sideways to scrub off speed.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote