R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #6916
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
just give it a rest. you don't like it, run another class - or create your own set of rules that is pretty much followed coast-to-coast
sorry but that is the stupidest response, yet you hear it over and over all the time

USVTA rules have changed and will change, we are no longer using 27t brushed motors and NiMh batteries in USVTA, so obviously the rules have changed over the years. So please stop the if you dont like it .... If you dont like discusing possible changes in our toy car hobby then go fishing

I keep reading how we need this weight to keep older cars competetive, which ones ??!!?? A tub TC3 needs around 100g (15 TOXIC LEAD BRICKS) to get up to weight, A TC5 needs 224g thats 32 bricks !! Mikes idea of laying it out under the electronics is great ... but 32 bricks have around the same surface area as the entire chassis, so again why are we doing this. Yes LEAD IS TOXIC, sure there is Tungsten but are now spending $60+ just to add weight ?? thats crazy. A heavier car will have more wear & tear on everything then a lighter car. 100g doesnt change the handling enough to make it any easier to drive, a novice will crash the same regardles of the weight, but maybe just maybe will break less parts with a lighter car.

thats my $0.02 Everybody have fun racing this weekend

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #6917
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Just found this on the HobbyWing website at the bottom of the Justock page.

ESC can be loaded with many different firmwares by user himself.

The options with italic font in the above table are the default settings (factory settings)*of the ESC.

(* The programmable items and the default settings maybe changed in different firmware versions without*prior notification.)*

I don't know how long its been there, but it clearly states it is update-able.
The Justock ESC has been user updatable from day 1, but only with true zero timing software.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #6918
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Yes LEAD IS TOXIC
Only if you eat it.

The same goes for other common substances, like hemlock, and some types of Mexican food.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #6919
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
The Justock ESC has been user updatable from day 1, but only with true zero timing software.
I was in the middle of updating my post when you quoted me. I hate the way my phone interacts with this forum. And auto correct makes it even worse.

It has an exemplary that's states they can change anything at any time. Dont think they would, but...
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #6920
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
sorry but that is the stupidest response, yet you hear it over and over all the time

USVTA rules have changed and will change, we are no longer using 27t brushed motors and NiMh batteries in USVTA, so obviously the rules have changed over the years. So please stop the if you dont like it .... If you dont like discusing possible changes in our toy car hobby then go fishing
i'm well aware its changed multiple times since its inception. and stop trying to make tub chassis obsolete - remember, the TC3/TC4 aren't the only tub chassis available. and I know of at least 2 guys that run Tamiya tub chassis in VTA

bottom line - rules will change to make the class better. and I have yet to see any reason why the weight needs to change - not that I have any say in the 'big set' of rules - and how lighter chassis will make the class better

but maybe that's me, and I'm just a stubborn SOB
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #6921
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
i'm well aware its changed multiple times since its inception. and stop trying to make tub chassis obsolete - remember, the TC3/TC4 aren't the only tub chassis available. and I know of at least 2 guys that run Tamiya tub chassis in VTA

bottom line - rules will change to make the class better. and I have yet to see any reason why the weight needs to change - not that I have any say in the 'big set' of rules - and how lighter chassis will make the class better

but maybe that's me, and I'm just a stubborn SOB
Most of us are ... thats part of the problem LOL

I think im the only one running a TUB in Florida, and yes its a TC3

ps That wasnt personal, you will find that quote on just about every page.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #6922
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

The weight limit of the class is in place to work with not so modern cars so they are not instantly at a disadvantage with a lower weight rule. Lighter cars will be even faster then they are now and thus make it even that much harder for beginers to get into it. Lighter cars are faster so they will prolly break more parts as they are now moving at a higher rate of speed so lighter isnt going to solve that issue. Cars are going to break no matter what. The focus of the class is to work for racers of all skill levels. The extra weight isnt as big of an issue that people are making it out to be. We just had the USVTA Scale Nationals about a month back and I dont recall anyone complaining that the cars were too heavy...there was I think just about 60 VTA cars that showed up for that race. So if the 5 or 6 guys that are at your local track want a lower wight by all means adjust it for your group. Just know what the National set of rules are.

I dont get why people are so hell bent on making changes to the rules and freaking out about it. At your local track they should be following ROAR rules for say 17.5 sedan. Is everyone 100% following ROAR rules all the time at club races???? NO! So it should be the same for your local VTA racing. Just know when it comes to following the national set of rules you need to follow them.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.

Last edited by Kevin K; 05-02-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #6923
Tech Master

Quote:

I keep reading how we need this weight to keep older cars competetive, which ones ??!!?? A tub TC3 needs around 100g (15 TOXIC LEAD BRICKS) to get up to weight, A TC5 needs 224g thats 32 bricks !! Mikes idea of laying it out under the electronics is great ... but 32 bricks have around the same surface area as the entire chassis, so again why are we doing this. Yes LEAD IS TOXIC, sure there is Tungsten but are now spending $60+ just to add weight ?? thats crazy. A heavier car will have more wear & tear on everything then a lighter car. 100g doesnt change the handling enough to make it any easier to drive, a novice will crash the same regardles of the weight, but maybe just maybe will break less parts with a lighter car.

thats my $0.02 Everybody have fun racing this weekend
most people will post intelligent responses, some not so much. yours was classic thanks for being intelligent about it. everyone has different opinions. I don't mind 1550 grams, just making a suggestion to the vta gods that maybe it should be up for discussion. if you see it as more than that, that's your problem.
fermanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #6924
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
The weight limit of the class is in place to work with not so modern cars so they are not instantly at a disadvantage with a lower weight rule. Lighter cars will be even faster then they are now and thus make it even that much harder for beginers to get into it. Lighter cars are faster so they will prolly break more parts as they are now moving at a higher rate of speed so lighter isnt going to solve that issue. Cars are going to break no matter what. The focus of the class is to work for racers of all skill levels. The extra weight isnt as big of an issue that people are making it out to be. We just had the USVTA Scale Nationals about a month back and I dont recall anyone complaining that the cars were too heavy...there was I think just about 60 VTA cars that showed up for that race. So if the 5 or 6 guys are you local track want a lower wight by all means adjust it for your group. Just know what the National set of rules are.

I dont get why people are so hell bent on making changes to the rules and freaking out about it. At your local track they should be following ROAR rules for say 17.5 sedan. Is everyone 100% following ROAR rules all the time at club races???? NO! So it should be the same for your local VTA racing. Just know when it comes to following the national set of rules you need to follow them.
well put,
Old 05-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #6925
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

They are in China, lawsuits aren't remotely a concern.

Blame ESL, just because it's updatable doesn't mean it's not updatable with newer firmware that's still blinky.

At IIC last year, the racer across the table from me had an older Tekin speed control an a new D3.5 motor (all blinky, 1c, 12th scale) that cogged so bad he missed two rounds. Sean Cochran from associated suggested the problem was the new motors worked on a higher reference voltage for the sensor, which turned out to be the problem. Tekin swapped out the speed control for the latest spec one and the car worked fine.

What's the difference? Firmware.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #6926
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post

In the chart above its states timing is Locke at zero and unprogrammable. But the last statement says programmable items can can changed without notice. I have a HobbyWing but I find that statement disturbing. I am sure its just legal mumbo crap so they dont get sued, and I highly doubt they would change the timing on an old ESC that's sold as zero timing, but its there and it means it can be done. I hate to say it, but there is concern right there.
Justock as most other HW competition esc's is ROAR approved, if ROAR found timing advance on a non-turbo approved esc then the entire HW line of esc's would disappear from the ROAR list for a year, dont think HW or any other manufacturer is willing to take a profit loss like that.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #6927
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i might be just not paying too much attention but when did the weight limit go to 1550? last time i looked it was 1450. or am i wrong and its been 1550 the whole time? our clubs in the nw run usgt and vta together as scale spec and our weight limit is 1450.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #6928
Tech Master

Quote:
Justock as most other HW competition esc's is ROAR approved, if ROAR found timing advance on a non-turbo approved esc then the entire HW line of esc's would disappear from the ROAR list for a year, dont think HW or any other manufacturer is willing to take a profit loss like that.
I'm new to vta and not trying to offend. but this guy makes a valid point. roar is a sanctioning body. is Usvta a sanctioning body or just some guys making rules. this seems to be the only class that there is controversy over what is approved.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #6929
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
i might be just not paying too much attention but when did the weight limit go to 1550? last time i looked it was 1450. or am i wrong and its been 1550 the whole time? our clubs in the nw run usgt and vta together as scale spec and our weight limit is 1450.
roar is 1450 and usvta is 1550, the rules on the usvta site says 1450 for usgt. that may be where the confusion is, some of these guys are right tho, the car handles better at 1550 grams
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #6930
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
USVTA rules were always 1550g, starting back when we used 27t brushed motors and NiMh batteries, it made sense back then with the heavy electronics, not so much today with lipo and brushless.

ROAR VTA rules are 1450g