Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #6871
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14 View Post
I would come back to vta if someone came out with the 67 dart
I think USVTA would get a lot more interest if more of the old series cars became 'magically' available
Old 05-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #6872
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceDayHobbies View Post
There are pictures on google images of Robert Hampton's 1969 Barracuda Fastback. It is not on the list but obviously raced. I would love someone to make a body of that car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14 View Post
I would come back to vta if someone came out with the 67 dart
I think USVTA would get a lot more interest if more of the old series cars became 'magically' available
+1
Try posting your suggestions in this thread-->PROTOform Race Bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPF View Post
Hey Racers,

Feel free to post comments or questions about PROTOform products in this thread. We'd also love to hear from you about what products you'd like to see from us in the future.

Thanks!
It can get the attention of the Epp Family (owners of PROTOform). Also if you can get your hands on a scale model (e.g. smaller die-cast model or plastic model) of the car you are interested in and send it to Eric Epp, it will surely help him with making a CAD model in his computer. That's how the PROTOform 1971 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am was created.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #6873
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
... So now it sounds like I may have to piss everyone off and take it off the list....
Please let us know when ur planning on banning the Justock from USVTA rules, with several big races coming up in our area and the Justock being a popular ESC it would be nice to know ahead of time so we dont become cheaters

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #6874
Tech Adept

Default Modified bodies

One of the local racers came back from the Nats at Winthrop Harbor with some disturbing news. He stated that the fast guys are cutting a vertical section out of the middle of their bodies and chopping the tops to lower the cg of their body and reducing the frontal area. This would reduce the aero drag and lower the overall car cg. He stated they were considered legal because the body was trimmed on the molded body line. I hope that is not true. If it is legal to do that, then I guess people will have to go out and buy Computational Fluid Dynamic software and learn how to use it. That way they can work on the aero dynamics of their car. That or build small wind tunnels and instrument the table for drag and down force. Would someone that was there please confirm that cut, and reglued, bodies are legal or not.
RaceDayHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #6875
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Please let us know when ur planning on banning the Justock from USVTA rules, with several big races coming up in our area and the Justock being a popular ESC it would be nice to know ahead of time so we dont become cheaters
Supposedly Hobbywing is replacing the Justock "any moment now" with a new zero timing ESC anyway....

Does the firmware flash actually add timing to the Justock? or is the concern just in the flash ability itself?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #6876
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwilliams1 View Post
Supposedly Hobbywing is replacing the Justock "any moment now" with a new zero timing ESC anyway....

Does the firmware flash actually add timing to the Justock? or is the concern just in the flash ability itself?
more of the fact that it CAN be flashed - the only firmware that can be loaded is the non-timing version, so its not necessarily timing, just that it can be flashed

which kinda sucks, because I just got one for my USVTA
Old 05-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #6877
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

My question is- if no timing is added, what is the real difference? So maybe an updated profile is "smoother" or has a better "feel", or the brakes are more progressive (or whatever), but if no timing is added then it's not exactly going to be faster, correct? I'm not trying to stir the pot, I just want to know why it makes the ESC a no-no to use.

Also, I'm not disputing whether or not we should be able to use blinky speed controls. Purely trying discuss why a timing-blocked esc with firmware updates is an issue.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #6878
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwilliams1 View Post

no, you cant upload any timing software.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #6879
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post

which kinda sucks, because I just got one for my USVTA
maybe usvta will offer a trade-in program for a novak, when we bought our justocks they were(still are) usvta legal, not our fault usvta changes there mind 2 years later and decides its illegal even though HW did not change anything with the esc ...

all this sounds really familiar doesn't it

Old 05-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #6880
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
One of the local racers came back from the Nats at Winthrop Harbor with some disturbing news. He stated that the fast guys are cutting a vertical section out of the middle of their bodies and chopping the tops to lower the cg of their body and reducing the frontal area. This would reduce the aero drag and lower the overall car cg. He stated they were considered legal because the body was trimmed on the molded body line. I hope that is not true. If it is legal to do that, then I guess people will have to go out and buy Computational Fluid Dynamic software and learn how to use it. That way they can work on the aero dynamics of their car. That or build small wind tunnels and instrument the table for drag and down force. Would someone that was there please confirm that cut, and reglued, bodies are legal or not.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #6881
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The Justock is a blinky only ESC. You can't flash anything else onto it.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #6882
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
So do you know if any of those guys running cut/reglued/modified bodies ended up in the A-Main? My guess is they spent more time doctoring up their bodies, less time getting practice laps down, and ended up in C-Main at best.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #6883
Tech Addict

Quote:
sounds like one of berts how to go fast ideas

Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #6884
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default rules for usvta

while your deciding to change rules for esc, why don't you lower the weight rule down to 1500 grams, not to many people use older chassis, and if they do the typically have to add tons of weight to get to 1550 grams. you based your decision on the weight because this would allow people with old chassis to be just as competitive as guys with newer chassis, how many racers you know run older chassis. do they have to add weight. just saying
fermanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #6885
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

For those that want rule changes: Just run USGT, you can run the same VTA body, less weight, more open esc and battery....basically all the rules you are asking for

At my track most guys run TC3 or TC4