R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #6796
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,343
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I did and it seems to have been a massive fail. I don't understand the fondness for the extra unneeded weight. And to say these cars handle better with extra weight is just plain ridiculous. Every car handles better when lighter, it just requires different set-up. In any form of racing, excess weight is the enemy.

To those that race and win the older and heavier chassis, good for you. You could probably win with them, even if there was no weight restriction. Why, because you can drive, plain and simple. Keep up the good work. To those that say its about the money so that new racers can get in on the action... I have a VBC Ghost. Its $250 new. A relatively cheap car that runs great and handles even better. I have to add 150g to get it up to USVTA specs. I had 2 HPI Pro4's. $100 each used. I had to add over 300g to them to get in compliance. If you have an old chassis sitting on a shelf that you want to run, great. Learn the sport, learn to drive and set-up your car, and I can promise you 2 things... 1, your going to spend more on that old TC4 on shocks, springs, toe blocks and the like to be competative as it would have been to buy a used 6.1with spares to start with, and 2, your very soon going to outgrow that TC4 and want to get a newer kit within a few months and then be complaining about how to add all that weight like everyone else.

I would like to see U SVTA ahead of the tech curve, not behind it like ROAR. USVTA has the ability to be very fluid. Its not a bureaucratic monster with multiple layers all having to agree to change things. Look how quickly the tire issue in USGT was address last year. I am not sure what their proccess is, but its quick and seems to be fair. Which bring me full circle back to my original point...

I, and I am sure many others, would like to know the status of the Tekin RS Spec. Its has been almost 6 months since its release. If it is still being tested, that's one rigorous testing proccess. That's is great to maintain the integrity of the organization. But I would hope that Novak GTB3 gets the same treatment. If not, it would confirm what many suspect is and always has been a heavy bias towards Novak products. Particularly if it gets approved before the Tekin as some have suggested.

Rant over, I will not speak of iether matter again for a while, I just hope the ESC issue doesn't get buried like it has several times in the past. If we never speak of it, it will go away... Not this time
Some stuff I agree with here - and some I don't...

I wish I owned one of those HPI Pro4s that required 300+ grams of weight to be USVTA compliant. Mine requires somewhere in the neighborhood of 120... Maybe I own the wrong version???

"Your going to spend more on that old TC4 on shocks, springs, toe blocks and the like to be competative as it would have been to buy a used 6.1with spares to start with"

I bought my abused Pro 4 for $75, and had leftover springs from the 15-20 TCs that have entered and left my workbench. Car came with most of the toe blocks, hub, ball studs, etc. I needed to make the car competitive, I simply needed a few parts to refresh the drivetrain. Total investmnent in that car over the last 6 years has been $200 or less.

Your very soon going to outgrow that TC4 and want to get a newer kit within a few months and then be complaining about how to add all that weight like everyone else.

I've run my 10 year old car for the last six years - over the last two years with this car, I've lost 3 VTA races; one to an Awesomatix, One to a VBC (D05, driven by a team driver), and one to a Corally RDX. Considering the litany of other models probably fall into the category of cars I've managed to outrun over the years, it's hard to argue you're outgrowing a car that's still running up front.

"I would like to see USVTA ahead of the tech curve..."

"Ahead of the tech curve" usually incurs higher costs to the racer. Ask anyone racing ANY 17.5 class, and you'll see how expensive "being ahead of the curve" really is. On-road racing does NOT need a slower version of 17.5 TC. Easiest way to kill enthusiasm is by killing the racers' wallets...

That said, thorough review (and, with any luck, subsequent approval) of the Tekin RS Spec and the Novak GTB3 ESCs are warranted, since more choices usually fuels interest and keeps costs in check...
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
✯Jackson RC✯Horsham RC✯SJCCR✯
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #6797
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyeagles View Post
Maybe this body will get YTA approval.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...100-s-VTR03022
doubtful.. its only 190mm and I don't believe the 'vette ran in the trans am series back then
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #6798
Tech Elite
 
oeoeo327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,343
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyeagles View Post
Maybe this body will get YTA approval.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...100-s-VTR03022
Early C3 Corvettes didn't run in the Trans-Am series, therefore the chances of approval are nil... Not to mention that body isn't wide enough to cover the tires on your typical 190mm TC chassis.

It does get my vote for being one of the most stylish cars ever produced, even though its practical shortcomings diminish its overall appeal...
__________________
Founding member of the Solid Gold Racing Team - Mediocrity, redefined...
✯Jackson RC✯Horsham RC✯SJCCR✯
oeoeo327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #6799
Tech Elite
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,631
Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I did and it seems to have been a massive fail. I don't understand the fondness for the extra unneeded weight. And to say these cars handle better with extra weight is just plain ridiculous. Every car handles better when lighter, it just requires different set-up. In any form of racing, excess weight is the enemy.

To those that race and win the older and heavier chassis, good for you. You could probably win with them, even if there was no weight restriction. Why, because you can drive, plain and simple. Keep up the good work. To those that say its about the money so that new racers can get in on the action... I have a VBC Ghost. Its $250 new. A relatively cheap car that runs great and handles even better. I have to add 150g to get it up to USVTA specs. I had 2 HPI Pro4's. $100 each used. I had to add over 300g to them to get in compliance. If you have an old chassis sitting on a shelf that you want to run, great. Learn the sport, learn to drive and set-up your car, and I can promise you 2 things... 1, your going to spend more on that old TC4 on shocks, springs, toe blocks and the like to be competative as it would have been to buy a used 6.1with spares to start with, and 2, your very soon going to outgrow that TC4 and want to get a newer kit within a few months and then be complaining about how to add all that weight like everyone else.

I would like to see U SVTA ahead of the tech curve, not behind it like ROAR. USVTA has the ability to be very fluid. Its not a bureaucratic monster with multiple layers all having to agree to change things. Look how quickly the tire issue in USGT was address last year. I am not sure what their proccess is, but its quick and seems to be fair. Which bring me full circle back to my original point...

I, and I am sure many others, would like to know the status of the Tekin RS Spec. Its has been almost 6 months since its release. If it is still being tested, that's one rigorous testing proccess. That's is great to maintain the integrity of the organization. But I would hope that Novak GTB3 gets the same treatment. If not, it would confirm what many suspect is and always has been a heavy bias towards Novak products. Particularly if it gets approved before the Tekin as some have suggested.

Rant over, I will not speak of iether matter again for a while, I just hope the ESC issue doesn't get buried like it has several times in the past. If we never speak of it, it will go away... Not this time
I think I mostly have to agree. I run a TC3 at the moment, not to prove a point or be that "retro-guy"... I got it for free and being that I never had a shaft car before, it's something new to learn and try (please god, don't let that betrands78 guy read this post )... anyways it's what I'm running at the moment. I've had spec-r's, photons, ect. Stuffing weights into every crevice is kind of absurd. 1450 would be a bit easier to deal with. Probably less complaining between the two camps as well. As for Tekin, yeah I think that shouldn't just get buried either. I'll probably be happy to run cheap HW's forever but the Tekin deserves it's spot if they have played by the rules. Hopefully time will tell sooner than later.
__________________
Up the Irons \m/

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #6800
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

.,.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BananaRaceway/

Last edited by wwddww34; 05-01-2014 at 02:08 PM.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #6801
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
The 16 cars listed below are the cars that ran in the Golden era (19681972) U.S. Trans-Am Series.





forgot the javelin
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #6802
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,754
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I did and it seems to have been a massive fail. I don't understand the fondness for the extra unneeded weight. And to say these cars handle better with extra weight is just plain ridiculous. Every car handles better when lighter, it just requires different set-up. In any form of racing, excess weight is the enemy.

To those that race and win the older and heavier chassis, good for you. You could probably win with them, even if there was no weight restriction. Why, because you can drive, plain and simple. Keep up the good work. To those that say its about the money so that new racers can get in on the action... I have a VBC Ghost. Its $250 new. A relatively cheap car that runs great and handles even better. I have to add 150g to get it up to USVTA specs. I had 2 HPI Pro4's. $100 each used. I had to add over 300g to them to get in compliance. If you have an old chassis sitting on a shelf that you want to run, great. Learn the sport, learn to drive and set-up your car, and I can promise you 2 things... 1, your going to spend more on that old TC4 on shocks, springs, toe blocks and the like to be competative as it would have been to buy a used 6.1with spares to start with, and 2, your very soon going to outgrow that TC4 and want to get a newer kit within a few months and then be complaining about how to add all that weight like everyone else.

I would like to see U SVTA ahead of the tech curve, not behind it like ROAR. USVTA has the ability to be very fluid. Its not a bureaucratic monster with multiple layers all having to agree to change things. Look how quickly the tire issue in USGT was address last year. I am not sure what their proccess is, but its quick and seems to be fair. Which bring me full circle back to my original point...

I, and I am sure many others, would like to know the status of the Tekin RS Spec. Its has been almost 6 months since its release. If it is still being tested, that's one rigorous testing proccess. That's is great to maintain the integrity of the organization. But I would hope that Novak GTB3 gets the same treatment. If not, it would confirm what many suspect is and always has been a heavy bias towards Novak products. Particularly if it gets approved before the Tekin as some have suggested.

Rant over, I will not speak of iether matter again for a while, I just hope the ESC issue doesn't get buried like it has several times in the past. If we never speak of it, it will go away... Not this time
I dont see the weight being an issue thats one of the least complained about things in VTA. Having been part of the testing of the rules I will say that the weight is there for good reasons. They do handle better for 95% of the people that race VTA. A lighter car can handle better but will also be harder to drive "easy" for the core VTA racers. The rules of VTA are not setup for 1 person or that 1 persons wants and desires they are structured in a way to cater to all racers of all skill sets please keep that in mind. If there are rules that are turning you off of VTA there is always USGT that is setup to be more "loose" with the rules.

I dont want to speak for Rob on the Tekin Spec but IMHO I think it will not be allowed because the software can be back loaded and changed. If you were paying attention there was a reason that ROAR did not approve it that quickly and they also had it approved with a different software than what was sold in early models....here is where the problem is with the Tekin spec. Rob doesnt get any joy out of keeping Tekin out of VTA all he wants is fair and level playing field and looking at what went down it doesnt appear that the Tekin will be VTA approved until the software is locked down like every other ESC that is approved. The GTB 3 or any other ESC is subject to the same rules and testing.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....14th year running 2016/17!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #6803
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I dont see the weight being an issue thats one of the least complained about things in VTA. Having been part of the testing of the rules I will say that the weight is there for good reasons. They do handle better for 95% of the people that race VTA. A lighter car can handle better but will also be harder to drive "easy" for the core VTA racers. The rules of VTA are not setup for 1 person or that 1 persons wants and desires they are structured in a way to cater to all racers of all skill sets please keep that in mind. If there are rules that are turning you off of VTA there is always USGT that is setup to be more "loose" with the rules.

I dont want to speak for Rob on the Tekin Spec but IMHO I think it will not be allowed because the software can be back loaded and changed. If you were paying attention there was a reason that ROAR did not approve it that quickly and they also had it approved with a different software than what was sold in early models....here is where the problem is with the Tekin spec. Rob doesnt get any joy out of keeping Tekin out of VTA all he wants is fair and level playing field and looking at what went down it doesnt appear that the Tekin will be VTA approved until the software is locked down like every other ESC that is approved. The GTB 3 or any other ESC is subject to the same rules and testing.
The software on a Justock is not locked down, I think im on my 3 software update.
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #6804
Tech Elite
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 2,420
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Its not an issue about where I run. BRR has done a good job keeping the fun in the class. They listens to racers and decided ROAR rules were better for them in this class. I ask these questions as it seemed (at least on the forums) no one else was. I beleive I was the or one of the first one the forums, to ask about the Tekin ESC and every time it gets swept under the rug. It makes me wonder why? I havent seen the weight issue come up in all my time on this forum in the last year or so. I think it is something worth mentioning. We are way past the days of tub chassis and heavy nimh batteries. Now that its out there ill let others talk and see how quickly stuff gets swept away. Last post on topics... I'm out
__________________
Tamiya EVO 6 with EXOSIX conversion
Tamiya TA07
tamiya box stock Mini (M05)
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #6805
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,754
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
The software on a Justock is not locked down, I think im on my 3 software update.
Thats a problem....then the just stock might need to be looked at and removed if this is the case IMO.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....14th year running 2016/17!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #6806
Tech Elite
 
wwddww34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 2,555
Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default

.,.
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BananaRaceway/

Last edited by wwddww34; 05-01-2014 at 05:41 PM.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #6807
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Thats a problem....then the just stock might need to be looked at and removed if this is the case IMO.
so it never got looked at in the first place ?? its been on the approved list for a couple years now
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #6808
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Its not an issue about where I run. BRR has done a good job keeping the fun in the class. They listens to racers and decided ROAR rules were better for them in this class. I ask these questions as it seemed (at least on the forums) no one else was. I beleive I was the or one of the first one the forums, to ask about the Tekin ESC and every time it gets swept under the rug. It makes me wonder why? I havent seen the weight issue come up in all my time on this forum in the last year or so. I think it is something worth mentioning. We are way past the days of tub chassis and heavy nimh batteries. Now that its out there ill let others talk and see how quickly stuff gets swept away. Last post on topics... I'm out
how do you figured its being swept away? just because others don't share your opinion on the need for it to be changed??

actually, the weight was changed AFTER the class moved from nimh batteries and brushed motors. tub chassis will always be around, and not just the TC3/TC4 - Tamiya still makes a ton of tub chassis and I don't seem them changing it anytime soon.

I don't hear anyone bitching that Tamiya won't allow their 'plate cars' to run in GT2 or GT3, those chassis are only allowed in GT1 - and a tub chassis can compete in all 3 classes... is that fair? or should Tamiya, after its 20+ years of running TCS change their rules?

yeah, maybe the tekin is being carefully stepped around since there's been issues with them in the past. I ran for tekin during this time and there was ALWAYS questions about which version of the firmware was loaded. and honestly, it makes sense that Rob doesn't what that kind of BS in this class

I've been running this class since it first started and I believe all the changes and management of the class has been very good - better then a lot of 'series'
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #6809
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
so it never got looked at in the first place ?? its been on the approved list for a couple years now
but the justock can only load the non-timing software on it. every time I plug my justock in, I can only see that software available for it. can't see any of the versions for the v2 or v3 for while its plugged in
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #6810
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
but the justock can only load the non-timing software on it. every time I plug my justock in, I can only see that software available for it. can't see any of the versions for the v2 or v3 for while its plugged in
Same with the Tekin Spec, I can only see non-timing updates for it.
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] speedsterblade Electric On-Road 5821 11-21-2016 11:39 AM
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am) NovakTwo Electric On-Road 329 12-07-2013 08:48 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans Am Nationals: April 12th, 2008 squarehead Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 308 05-14-2008 08:56 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:14 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0