R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #6781
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Correct crispy but my point was that maybe the new racer was a basher with a old touring car laying on the self with no use. Now after years of no use he can use the car as a VTA and be competitive. Your still saying go buy a new kit that would only be for someone thats never been in the hobby.
I have a guy at my track that runs a TC4 in USVTA setup and he is doing awesome with it. Has won a couple races as well. The point of this class is to be laid back and not just another TC class which is the reason I'm staying with USVTA rules compared to ROAR. There is a option for you and the others that want 1450g weight rule then run ROAR. My track runs ROAR but I have my car setup according to USVTA 1550g weight rule to show weight doesn't make a difference along with different ESC and motor brands. Even with them having the ROAR rules I'm equal or better in the race with my car in USVTA setup.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #6782
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Holmes View Post
That 1% means a great deal. If a new racers wants to bring his 10 yr old touring car and make it USVTA then he can without buying a brand new kit and enjoy as well as be competitive as the guys that choose to buy brand new kits every year.
Well said. Not all of us can afford to go out and buy the new must have chassis. I like my old tc3 its very durable.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #6783
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Nobody that is really really fast is driving old TC4s because they can't afford anything better, they're just trying to prove a point. We have one of those at my track.
You couldn't be any more wrong... It's far easier to adjust the weight bias of a car that is naturally heavy with smaller amounts of additional weight than it is on a car designed to operate at 1380 grams or less, which would require more additional weight (6+ ounces).

Multiple classes that mimic each other too closely with regard to the rules dilutes the 2 classes too much. Removing the additional 100 grams would only encourage current drivers to move to newer cars, which goes against the original intent of the rules and the spirit of the class. VTA at its inception enforced a 1450 gram weight rule, but became more popular once the cars were slowed down with the 25.5 motor and the extra weight added.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #6784
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
I'm building the Spec-R now, and i'll weight it when I'm done - I'm willing to bet I'll have to add at least 50g to get to the legal 1550 weight... so how is lowering the weight going to benefit someone that just bought that chassis? I'm sure the 3Racing isn't too far behind the Spec-R
Building a 3Racing XI Sport right now, with battery, servo, motor and driver im at 1135g still need :
receiver 10g
body 110g
esc 60g
PT 6g
fan 10g

Should be well under 1350g rtr. How is your Spec-R around 1500g ??

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #6785
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Building a 3Racing XI Sport right now, with battery, servo, motor and driver im at 1135g still need :
receiver 10g
body 110g
esc 60g
PT 6g
fan 10g

I don't know. I said I have to finish building it. but I have a feeling its not going to be as super light as was assumed
Old 05-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #6786
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
I also have question about weight. With the vast majority of racers now having newer carbon fiber cars, why is the weight still 1550? Is it to keep the 1 or 2 entry level or really old chassis competitive? Even then with driver figure installed people are over weight. It is really annoying to find space for 300 + grams of weight. I know some people paying high dollar for exotic heavy metals that are custom machined to fit under and around belts. I believe, at least at higher levels of competition, cost is no longer a factor. Is it time to re-address the weight issue?
Well... you tried...
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #6787
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
receiver 10g
body 110g
esc 60g
PT 6g
fan 10g

It's not. I've got so much weight on my R1, it is ridiculous.

I've got 14g at every corner and a whole row of weights down the center line.

But if it keeps those plastic tub guys in the game, by all means...
Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #6788
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
It's not. I've got so much weight on my R1, it is ridiculous.

I've got 14g at every corner and a whole row of weights down the center line.

But if it keeps those plastic tub guys in the game, by all means...
and mine's a S1, which should naturally be heavier then the R1

but like I said, its not finished yet - so it can possibly be closer to 1500 then 1400
Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #6789
Tech Addict

My plastic tub TC3 needs 12 lead bricks on top of a tamiya plastic driver, heavy aluminum 1/8 buggy servo, full size rx and giant 40mm fan to get up to weight, I could easily get it down to 1450g if needed.

A lighter car has less wear & tear on everthing from tires, electronic to parts.

USVTA rules have been updated over the years, dont see why weight cant be updated with todays smaller and lighter electronics. Low profile servos and shorty packs that are now in the 5000mah range will make any old heavy tank rc fit in the 1450g.

Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-dscn5441.jpg  

Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #6790
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Isn't the ROAR VTA weight 1450?

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #6791
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I did and it seems to have been a massive fail. I don't understand the fondness for the extra unneeded weight. And to say these cars handle better with extra weight is just plain ridiculous. Every car handles better when lighter, it just requires different set-up. In any form of racing, excess weight is the enemy.

To those that race and win the older and heavier chassis, good for you. You could probably win with them, even if there was no weight restriction. Why, because you can drive, plain and simple. Keep up the good work. To those that say its about the money so that new racers can get in on the action... I have a VBC Ghost. Its $250 new. A relatively cheap car that runs great and handles even better. I have to add 150g to get it up to USVTA specs. I had 2 HPI Pro4's. $100 each used. I had to add over 300g to them to get in compliance. If you have an old chassis sitting on a shelf that you want to run, great. Learn the sport, learn to drive and set-up your car, and I can promise you 2 things... 1, your going to spend more on that old TC4 on shocks, springs, toe blocks and the like to be competative as it would have been to buy a used 6.1with spares to start with, and 2, your very soon going to outgrow that TC4 and want to get a newer kit within a few months and then be complaining about how to add all that weight like everyone else.

I would like to see U SVTA ahead of the tech curve, not behind it like ROAR. USVTA has the ability to be very fluid. Its not a bureaucratic monster with multiple layers all having to agree to change things. Look how quickly the tire issue in USGT was address last year. I am not sure what their proccess is, but its quick and seems to be fair. Which bring me full circle back to my original point...

I, and I am sure many others, would like to know the status of the Tekin RS Spec. Its has been almost 6 months since its release. If it is still being tested, that's one rigorous testing proccess. That's is great to maintain the integrity of the organization. But I would hope that Novak GTB3 gets the same treatment. If not, it would confirm what many suspect is and always has been a heavy bias towards Novak products. Particularly if it gets approved before the Tekin as some have suggested.

Rant over, I will not speak of iether matter again for a while, I just hope the ESC issue doesn't get buried like it has several times in the past. If we never speak of it, it will go away... Not this time
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #6792
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
Isn't the ROAR VTA weight 1450?
yes, roar vta is 1450g, and here in FL where most tracks now run roar vta including the state series, the only drama we hear is the weight difference between the two.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #6793
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

@Professor, have you taken your concerns to RobK?

I see you at Bush River Raceway, which runs ROAR VTA rules. I don't know about the ESC issues you raise in regard to the rules at BRR, but the weight they enforce for VTA is 1450. The next closest track that I am aware of to you is The Grove, which has a breakout lap time for VTA and virtually no tech. Where else do you run regularly that enforces USVTA rules?

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #6794
Tech Addict

What I want to know is...

Assuming they do all their double-blind tests, keeping all other conditions the same as much as possible, yadda yadda yadda, and low and behold, the Tekin or GTB3 is faster than the Edge...

Not by a little, but a lot. A significant, measurable amount...

Then what?

Maybe we're seeing "then what"...
Old 05-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #6795
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (99%+)

Maybe this body will get YTA approval.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...100-s-VTR03022
Traxxas Slash(x2), 4x4 Slash VXL, Vendetta SC/ST
Axial SCX10, Axial Yeti, G-Made/AX10, Losi Micro Crawler, Sakura D3 CS(x2)
pettyeagles is offline   Reply With Quote