R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #6676
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevtech23 View Post
Speaking of outlaw:

For a fun class at a race last year we ran "Big Block" VTA. The rules were 13.5 blinky, VTA tires and body, slicks ended up the best. Wouldn't want it as a regular thing but man it was fun for something different. We ran all 9 cars heads up in every heat, 8 min quals. you had to manage tire temps with your trigger finger lol
You WOULDNT want it as a regular class. I can barely hang on to VTA like it is. But when you allow power you still realize that the tires and bodies are also performance limiters. It would be entertaining to watch, but I don't want any part of it.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #6677
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm not sure what motor was in the "TQ" car, I ran a Novak 21.5 Ballistic w/ an original GTB and qualified 2nd to last...but the other 4 guys in my group ALL made the "A" with a RevTech in 5th and 10th, a Hacker in 7th and another Ballistic in 8th.

We are running "Blinky" (at least I hope we are...lol, but I never asked)

Our group had 3-4 different ESC's, along w/ the GTB I ran, my son's car had a Mamba and I know one had a smaller/newer Novak (not sure which one)
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #6678
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioStylz View Post
I'm just about to dabble in USGT myself. From what I saw this past weekend in a big event I saw several guys running the Speedpassion Orca 21.5 motor. I was even told to get that motor as soon as I can to make my TC6 competitive.

I've been running in VTA for a while and thought it would be a good time to try out USGT over this summer.
ORCA is not speedpassion, its ORCA.

yeah. i know.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #6679
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel33 View Post
ORCA is not speedpassion, its ORCA.
Explains why I couldn't find any information on that motor. Thanks for clearing that up.
AudioStylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #6680
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39bsOyxgfFE&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a video from the North Texas Drone Users Group taping the A-Main at MHS in Carrollton this past weekend. I am the Black/Red/Blue cuda running around. We actually had 3 quads up and filming at the same time. Lead to some interesting race conditions!
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #6681
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post

Here is a video from the North Texas Drone Users Group taping the A-Main at MHS in Carrollton this past weekend. I am the Black/Red/Blue cuda running around. We actually had 3 quads up and filming at the same time. Lead to some interesting race conditions!
Pretty awesome, Joe! Yet another reason to sign the petition for MHS.... always something interesting going on up there!
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #6682
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post

Cool video. Just an FYI - You just need to put the video ID 39bsOyxgfFE in the youtube tags.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #6683
DBM
Tech Addict

After watching/marshalling the local vta/cta class at local events over the last few weeks (and realizing that it looks like a complete blast!), I've decided to go ahead and build a car for the class. The car that I'll be using is a Spec-R S1 that I bought used on Ebay. I tore the car down last night to go through it and replace all of the bearings with Avid bearings, and replace the ball cups with Tamiya low friction units. I'm using a Trackstar motor, hobbywing xerun 60 esc, and R1 Wurks 7200mAh lipo. I painted the 68 camaro body last night. I'm looking forward to trying it out at the next practice night a week from today.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-20140416_005328-01-01.jpg  
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #6684
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
You WOULDNT want it as a regular class. I can barely hang on to VTA like it is. But when you allow power you still realize that the tires and bodies are also performance limiters. It would be entertaining to watch, but I don't want any part of it.
That's what I said. WOULDN'T. It was a one time thing, not a suggestion. ..
chevtech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #6685
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I can't believe it's been 50 years! Happy B-day to my favorite VTA car.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #6686
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
After watching/marshalling the local vta/cta class at local events over the last few weeks (and realizing that it looks like a complete blast!), I've decided to go ahead and build a car for the class. The car that I'll be using is a Spec-R S1 that I bought used on Ebay. I tore the car down last night to go through it and replace all of the bearings with Avid bearings, and replace the ball cups with Tamiya low friction units. I'm using a Trackstar motor, hobbywing xerun 60 esc, and R1 Wurks 7200mAh lipo. I painted the 68 camaro body last night. I'm looking forward to trying it out at the next practice night a week from today.
looks good man,here is a pic of my 68 camaro not as clean but it works!
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-photo-2.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-photo-1.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #6687
Tech Addict

Quote:
You should check out the USVTA website for the VTA specs on motors, ESCs and batteries especially if you haven't bought those items yet. Most of what you mention would not be legal here in the USA for VTA. However, Canada may go by different rules hey!
John Wallace2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #6688
DBM
Tech Addict

In Canada, we use slightly different rules for vta (we actually call it cta). We use 21.5t roar approved motors, so my trackstar motor should be legal. I thought the hobbywing xerun 60 was on the roar list as well, but I can just buy a justock if needed. My R1wurks lipo is also roar approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
You should check out the USVTA website for the VTA specs on motors, ESCs and batteries especially if you haven't bought those items yet. Most of what you mention would not be legal here in the USA for VTA. However, Canada may go by different rules hey!
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #6689
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

See the Problem with having our own rules is that 90% are close to the border and are not within the rules for USVTA.

Which is why out club uses the USVTA rules. Just makes sence. There is a big race in Duluth MN, (4 hours south from us) that we go to every year

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:39 AM   #6690
Tech Addict

Quote:
In Canada, we use slightly different rules for vta (we actually call it cta). We use 21.5t roar approved motors, so my trackstar motor should be legal. I thought the hobbywing xerun 60 was on the roar list as well, but I can just buy a justock if needed. My R1wurks lipo is also roar approved.
The battery issue would be that it's more than 5000 MAH, if you come to a USVTA sanctioned race. Actually your CTA rules are more like what VTA started out like here when I first raced VTA. Do you run your ESCs in blinky mode?
John Wallace2 is online now   Reply With Quote