Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sometimes looking for pictures of historic races it's hard to tell if they are from the actual period or if they are from current/recent historic car races. I can't pretend to be unbiased about it when I clearly wish that they were raced in the period, thus increasing the likelihood of acceptance to the USVTA body list. Assuming a body was actually produced.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Meanwhile... on some random street in Nashville, TN, Myron 'Batman' Kinnard and a couple of friends are driving around town...

Original Pic came from www.facebook.com/RCCarAction
Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

My understanding is that if a body is not on this list: http://www.historictransam.com/Cars.html
that it will never be legal for USVTA. RobK and KevinK are the final decision makers, but this is my understanding.
With this in mind, I would love to see the Dodge Dart, the Ford Falcon, the Mercury Cougar, and the 69 Firebird made so we could have a full field of choices. I've been hoping that someone would make the 69 Firebird nose so we could cut the nose off of the Camaro and put this one on and maybe change tail light decals for a (more accurate than Pegasus) model.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Meanwhile... on some random street in Nashville, TN, Myron 'Batman' Kinnard and a couple of friends are driving around town...

Original Pic came from www.facebook.com/RCCarAction
but which car is he actually in?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

I would THINK it would be the original!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
My understanding is that if a body is not on this list: http://www.historictransam.com/Cars.html
that it will never be legal for USVTA. RobK and KevinK are the final decision makers, but this is my understanding.
With this in mind, I would love to see the Dodge Dart, the Ford Falcon, the Mercury Cougar, and the 69 Firebird made so we could have a full field of choices. I've been hoping that someone would make the 69 Firebird nose so we could cut the nose off of the Camaro and put this one on and maybe change tail light decals for a (more accurate than Pegasus) model.

I'd be all for it...

Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
but which car is he actually in?
The SLOW one covered in drool
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NutDriver
The roster on the historic site has multiple Shelby Mustangs listed. It seems the word Mustang appears more often accompanied by the word Shelby than it does without it. I don't want to waste too much effort pleading the case of a non existent shell, but it does seem like something that would fit with what we are doing.

Socko made a Firebird nose for his HPI Camaro. It looked great and did not require cutting the original nose off. It can be done.

As far as the Dart and Falcon go I think they are hard to represent in lexan. There is a lot of body behind the rear axle. But yeah I would like to see a full field as well. I would also like to see someone else do a better interpretation of the three Pegasus VTA shells. Those would look great in Protoform or HPI quality.

I would also like to see versions of all of the shells, but with more of a race look to them. No bumpers, a vent here and there. Meatballs included in the decal sheet. Slightly bigger air dam. Roll cage and interior tray that I don't have to scratch build.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

I'd be satisfied with a much better version of the 70 SS Camaro.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I love to see a protoform mustang. preferably a 69 boss.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ASM
I'd be satisfied with a much better version of the 70 SS Camaro.
I'm never satisfied. I am a lexan junkie. But yes a better Camaro would be great.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I made up some decals that are 70/71 style Camaro to go on the Later 70's McAllister "IROC" body

While the nose shape of the body isn't correct, the decals do give it (IN MY OPINION) a better look than the Pegasus Camaro

I did this set in the '71 style, and have a set w/ the parking lights next to the headlights for the '70 style as well (I did not do chrome bumpers)

to somewhat replicate this look...

and if I get time today, I painted up one to closely replicate this car this morning, but w/ the 70 style parking lights instead of the '71.

someone who's good w/ small detail could easily do a chome bumper for the 71 or a split bumper for the '70 style that would finish it off.

Last edited by SWTour; 04-03-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Kind of a simple question but regarding gluing the HPI rear tires.....do you also glue the side that partially covers the wheel? If so, what is the way to do it without making a huge mess?
Old 04-05-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Are you refering to the outside sidewall? I find it no harder to glue than any other tire. In fact its a little easier as there is more rubber to lift with your thumb. I just lift a little, and run a thin bead of thin CA in the seam. Then move a little and repeat. The this CA will seep into the spaces it needs to. After its done I run Another thin bead around the entire seem where the tire meets the wheel.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

If the wheels are chrome or aluminum finish I scrape the coating off where you want good adhesion then do as posted above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.