R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #6631
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
with a 55T spur 48P you can get anywhere from 4.04-2.93fdr (34-47T pinions)

Robinson has spurs down to 49t 48P
Ok cool, I already have that spur. Switching my tc3 from rcgt to vta this year. Was just worried a larger pinion might not fit. Thanks!
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #6632
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
A great driver with a great motor, great batteries & a great car is a difficult combination to beat. Back in the Brushed days, the motor man for one of the big factory teams told me he built 100 identical motors for a big race and picked the best 4 for his driver. So there is something to having a good motor too.

Being new to this 25.5 version of Trans AM, I was surprised that people were running their motors anywhere near 45 degrees of timing. You will certainly get more RPMs but what about power (Watts) and how fast does the motor accelerate? My brushed experience with a Fantom dyno always got us around 32 degrees of timing on motors with adjustable endbell timing for the MAX watts, then we geared for those RPMs. Sure wish I still had my old Fantom dyno to see if that still applies with brushless motors too.
Well I gave up on my much bitched about 25.5 motor and bought another. The old motor ran fine here in San Antonio on Saturday, but on Sunday in Austin on a much tighter track it wouldn't pull itself out of a wet paper bag. Comparing the new and old motor I've notice two things: One the timing labels are in approximately the same location, which is noticeably different from older BOSS25.5 motors my friends here in TX have, so Novak may have change their manufacturing process with this batch of motors. Two the new motor has much less end play in the shaft than the old motor. All that said the new motor does not COG at 45 degrees timing on the label, in fact is a rocket, but it over heats (I just pulled out the old motor and stuck in the new one every thing else is the same). Made some timing changes added a fan and lowered the FDR and the car is still fast and the temp is under control. Sunday is the first race with the new motor, we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

I also bought a Reedy Sonic 25.5 motor to run and see how much difference there is in that motor and the Novak motor. I'll let you know

Last edited by John Wallace2; 04-07-2014 at 10:41 PM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #6633
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stregone View Post
Thats what I was thinking. Thanks.

Any tips for achieving that on a tc3?
Associated makes 2 or 3 degree rear a-arm mounts. The first number is toe and the second number is anti-squat. A 2+0 rear mount would have 2 degrees toes and no anti-squat.

If you run the F+0 front carrier on the rear, you can run zero degrees of rear toe with no anti-squat. I would not recommend using this on on-road unless the track has a ton of traction. However, this works great on oval.

Losi sells (or sold) rear hub carriers for the XXX-s that were different degrees. (0, .5, 1 degree). You might (not sure) have to drill out the hinge pin hole, but other than that they should bolt up to a TC3. If you can find these hub carries, you can run anywhere between 0 and 4 degrees of rear toe.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket rear a-arm mounts made for the TC3 that weren't either 2 or 3 degrees or hub carriers that weren't zero degrees.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 03-27-2014 at 08:33 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #6634
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post

Losi sells (or sold) rear hub carriers for the XXX-s that were different degrees. (0, .5, 1 degree). You will have to drill out the hinge pin hole, but other than that they should bolt up to a TC3. If you can find these hub carries, you can run anywhere between 0 and 4 degrees of rear toe.

Direct fit on the TC3 and TC4, dont need to drill anything out.

discontinued but you can still find them on ebay

0* A-9847
1/2* A-9852
1* A-9853

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #6635
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stregone View Post
Ok cool, I already have that spur. Switching my tc3 from rcgt to vta this year. Was just worried a larger pinion might not fit. Thanks!
You will need to grind some chassis web under the pinion to get the bigger ones to fit.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #6636
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

and I believe that RaceVTA.com has the 55, 52, and 49 tooth Robinson spur gears now! They also carry parts for the TC4!

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #6637
Tech Addict

Few laps on the ifmar warm-ups layout, usvta was around 5 seconds slower then mod.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #6638
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

MoparSRT,
Are you using one of those little $35 cameras from Hobby King to shoot this? If not, what camera ARE you using?

Scott

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #6639
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
MoparSRT,
Are you using one of those little $35 cameras from Hobby King to shoot this? If not, what camera ARE you using?

Scott

Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #6640
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Speaking of those $35 HK cameras which I think are closer to $50 after you pay slow boat shipping from China. I have one of them, was thinking of getting a few more, but after about five minutes of footage the audio gets ahead of the video pretty bad. Like a second and a half. Which doesn't sound bad but to watch it....Terrible.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #6641
Tech Fanatic

Unhappy Cyclone TC owners READ THIS

I downloaded from the USVTA website a spreadsheet for calculating Final Drive Ratios (FDR) for various cars. For the Cyclone TC car it calculates the FDR incorrectly unless you have the 16 tooth center pulley gear installed on your car. All my TC cars (I bought 3 kits) came with the 18 tooth center pulley gears and for that the multiplier should be 2.1667 not 2.4375. Can cause over gearing and motor over heating.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #6642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Few laps on the ifmar warm-ups layout, usvta was around 5 seconds slower then mod.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Nice! I use a HK camera in my VTA occasionally.

When watching the video I originally though the screeching sound was the drive train but on a few corners you can make out the gear noise very softly underneath the other sounds.

Is that the sound of the tires screeching?

Second thought...I don't trust Adams, they make up everything!

"Leave it to Steever", custom paint masks, decals, and paint.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #6643
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meradin View Post

Is that the sound of the tires screeching?
yes that is the sound of tires being pushed a little to hard
Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #6644
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We're there any Shelby Mustangs in the historic racing series? With the big tail lights across the back?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #6645
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
We're there any Shelby Mustangs in the historic racing series? With the big tail lights across the back?
I had the same thought just the other day. Even though they are period correct, I don't think any raced in the Trans Am series...

.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote