R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #6586
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Im looking for a VTA set up for a new kid getting in the sport that has a TC6. Looked at petit rc and only found 1. And this forum is a bitch to search using a mobil device. Could someone post a couple links. He will be racing on meduim-high bite carpet. Thanks
Use one of Myron's or Mike Haynes from the AE website to start.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #6587
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy112 View Post
That was with a 90ft straight (thunder RC in nashville). In order to pull a ratio that deep, you have to make sure the rest of the car is right (carrying good corner speed, VERY free drivetrain, etc) but it is possible.

But Im with you, a 3.1 would make me pucker up a little bit.
2.76 outdoor asphalt my fan earned its keep that day. want to say around 90-100' straight with a big sweeper - almost roval in setup

surprisingly, the motor didn't really go above 160*
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #6588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Im looking for a VTA set up for a new kid getting in the sport that has a TC6. Looked at petit rc and only found 1. And this forum is a bitch to search using a mobil device. Could someone post a couple links. He will be racing on meduim-high bite carpet. Thanks
Here is a good setup for TC6.1 Setup Sheet Download

Here is a good setup for TC6.2 Setup Sheet Download
Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #6589
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Fastest VTA laps this week at our local track were turned by a TC4 running a Novak 25.5 SS motor (silver can). This motor has passed through a few hands before it ended up with the person who was running it on Friday. I believe the reason the other racers sold it was because it just wasn't as "fast" at the Ballistic.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #6590
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Pm me or call me. 931- 626 5819
Carl
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #6591
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
Run a hand out motor, something like the Speed Passion or a Trackstar to keep it cheap. Have everyone buy a motor at the beginning of the year, mark them with a number and let people bid on any motors they want to run that week. Split the money between driver and race series for door prizes or victory cash. Do 4-5 points races and give out a cheap trophy plus at the end of the year everyone has a motor to keep.
but that defeats the whole point of USVTA. while its a good idea, and I know a track that's done it for years and it worked well...

but this is not the class to do that with... everyone runs the novak and that's that... will some be faster, sure -- will some guys have better setups, ALWAYS -- will the fast guys always be fast, you betcha -- does straight line speed ever win a race that isn't on a 1/4 mile, NEVER

I get the whole point of a claim rule... but just run what you got... you're always going to have someone that thinks the fast guys are cheating.. I had it happen Saturday racing. some relative newbie tells me "Dude there cheats." I ask him why - he goes on to tell me that at the beginning of the night everyone was close in laps, but by the end of the night, Dude was 3 or 4 laps ahead of 2nd place. now I know Dude - and the kid races pretty much every weekend, and he's fast. so I tell newbie that its a few things a) he can pickup the layout quicker; b) he can adapt his setup much quicker then others (plus he has a fairly decent racer in his dad that essentially pits for him); and c) he was playing around with stuff at the beginning of the night..

so after I tell newbie this, he just shakes his head and still believes Dude was cheating. some people just don't want to accept the obivious - some people are faster and much better drivers....

moral of the story - class works fine as is.. no need for claims, or rent-a-motors
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #6592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
2.76 outdoor asphalt my fan earned its keep that day. want to say around 90-100' straight with a big sweeper - almost roval in setup

surprisingly, the motor didn't really go above 160*
I'm at a 2.98 on a large outdoor asphalt track, and still don't think I have enough gear on it. At 45 degree timing (according to the decal), I can still touch it after a race. I must have a novak that is all torque.... the quest for smoke continues.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #6593
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
I'm at a 2.98 on a large outdoor asphalt track, and still don't think I have enough gear on it. At 45 degree timing (according to the decal), I can still touch it after a race. I must have a novak that is all torque.... the quest for smoke continues.
I think mine was timed around the 40-ish degree mark.. and it was still very hot to the touch. if my fan failed, I would have had smoke

several of the guys pitting around me, including the TQ (I was 2nd qualifier), was wondering how I didn't get it to smoke
Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #6594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ok take the "CLAIM" deal a few steps further,

1) It needs to be an actual RACER from the class that's doing the claim

2) Must be entered in the race he's claiming.

3) A Claim Rule shouldn't just be a "CLAIM for MONEY" - it should be a "Trade/Claim", the claiming person needs to surrender a "Like" motor (same wind "legal" motor) + a set Dollar amount. ie: $35.00 - $40.00 plus trade

4) The trade motor should be verified that it is in proper working condition.

5) To make a Motor Claim, you MUST Submit a "Claim Form", filled out and presented to the proper event official within 10 minutes of conclusion of Main Event tech, and the form MUST be presented with the "Claim" CASH NOTE: Cash Only.

(The track/club/event would designate a person who would be "THE OFFICIAL" to receive the claims - and this person would be announced during Pre-Race drivers meeting along with the location of where a driver can obtain a "Claim Form"

(The claim forms can be made available before the race starts, but can NOT be turned in or accepted BEFORE the conclusion of the "A" Main, and ONLY top 3 "A" Main finishers should be subject to claim.)
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #6595
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We have a full street price claim in our slash class. $28, must be an event participant.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #6596
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

All this claimer motor talk is crazy. Last thing I'd want is someone claiming a decent motor, and handing over some cash and an overheated, abused motor in return. for a silver can class, this could work - but with $90 brushless motors I don't see this working.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #6597
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Your local clubs can do what you want, but I don't see some "claim rule" going on at any of the large events. The people running them have enough drama to deal with...

I bet if you let one of the "fast guys" play around with your vta motor for a day in their car they would be able to get very very close to the same lap times. It's been said many many times, but it doesn't sink in; People need to realize the fast guys are fast because they have spent the time working on their setup and driving skills. Not because they have a better motor or the newest latest and greatest car. I didn't even make the A last night and I admit the car chassis I used cost more then most people spend on their whole setup... It came down to driving and setup and nothing to do with my motor or chassis and why I didn't make the A.

Oh wait... I remember why I didn't make the A. I didn't have Awesom-o mounted in my qualifiers. I let him ride in the main and ran my fastest time. I guess someone may want to "claim" my driver figure since it made my vta car faster!!!
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #6598
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The claimer talk I think is crazy. It wasn't so bad when motors were $28, but at $96. Then again $96 for a used motor? Go Ahead have at it.

On the handouts, that could work if you used fully legal VTA motors for the handouts. No cheap substitutes. A real legal Novak. I know it drives up the price, but at least the participants would retain full legal rides usable at any track that flies the USVTA banner.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #6599
Tech Initiate

OK all you via experts I need your advice. I am thinking of making a vta car to run and can't decide whether to use the tb04 I already have or to pick up a bd7rs(I run a bd7 in 17.5). I like the coolness of the tb but it the lack of gearing concerns me. I guess my question is does anyone successfully run a tb04?
flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #6600
Tech Initiate

I for one would never claim a motor from a big race. With everyone running their stuff on the ragged edge (crazy gear ratios), you could end up buying out an overheated turd of a motor.
flapper is offline   Reply With Quote